cool fact about lobsters...

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
And boys don't feel any pain during circumcision. After all, they're only babies.

cencoastgrom

Michael Peterson status
Feb 28, 2002
abalone<BR>BB Legend posted 05-05-2002 02:49 PM <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>And boys don't feel any pain during circumcision. After all, they're only babies. <P>Well i dont remember it but my mom said i screamed louder then any scream she had ever heard before. Then i cryed for the next week

'fish

Nep status
Mar 26, 2002
RSM Ca USA
I agree with those of you who have sentiments for larger examples of certian species.<BR>Calico Bass a 10 lb bass can be 35 years old!<BR>Big Sheeps Head 30 lb over 40 years old!<BR>Big sharks who knows?<BR>Big Lobsters can be 30 to 45 years old.<P>Here is the real thing though, larger examples should be left to breed, a 1.5-2 lb Calico Bass (about 14 inches) only lay about 50,000 eggs during a spawn, a 10 lb Calico 1,000,000 or more!And older larger animals are not as good to eat, large lobsters are tough, why eat a 10lb tough lobster when you can eat succlent 1.5 pounders and not hurt the population? <BR>Conservation and proper management are the keys to mantaining our wild life resources.

Pepe

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 12, 2002
I can almost buy the arguments as to mammals, but fish and invertibrates? <P>Where I am the sea is life, and there is plenty of it. Where valid points are made, they should be taken up with the commercial fishing industry. Putting energy into a lobster at Gladstones is American arrogance at its worst.<P>People, there are people - millions of people - eating dung everyday in living conditions worse that some 40 year old lobster in a tank ready to be boiled silly. The plight of a lobster or the dog beaten by your neighbor, as sad as it might be, is nothing compared to the human suffering which abounds on this globe. <P>The fact that the life of a friggin' lobster even registers a blip on anyone's radar screen when, as intelligent Americans we should know people are suffering immensely who we could rescue in an instant, is actually beyond pathetic.<P>Overkill is bad. But eating a shell fish? They aren't even endangered. Let's get back ot the whales if we are going after marine abuse.<P>Any one offended if I eat an oyster?

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I’m not sure if this applies to all of the US, but in Florida you can’t spear a lobster. However at home in the Bahamas, that’s how we “catch” them. There’s the same size limit but hardly anyone cares, sadly. Once you shoot it, and break the shell, it’s a long slow death. Even shot between the eyes

i try to be as “ethical “ as possible when spearfishing. However anyone who has shot a fish, and had it get off the spear has no doubt seen how fast it’s neighbors turn on it and start eating them. I still only take one or two fish at most when I go. But, I stopped feeling overly sorry for fish after seeing them eat each other.

lobster - ocean roach, but the wife likes them...

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I may have shared this before.
My neighbor across the street dives for lobster out on the reef here. He does quite well, often bagging his limit.
The strange thing is HE DOESN'T EAT LOBSTER.
His daughter loves it, so she gets some as well as other friends of his and he always comes over and drops one or two off to us in trade for salmon and halibut. I love lobster tacos, and my favorite is lobster chille rellenos. Still have 3 or 4 in the freezer.
I sure hope they don't feel pain because when I get 'em I immediately twist the tail off and bust off one of their antennae and shove up their arss backward to de-vein it.

Reactions: twinzerfan

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Cool fact about lobsters: Their tails look great on the grill next to a bacon-wrapped filet mignon at midnight after an evening of hoop-netting.

Reactions: keenfish

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I kinda feel bad bringing up 4-5 rock cod, there eyes & tongue all bulged out but I get over it pretty quick