cool fact about lobsters...

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I may have shared this before.
My neighbor across the street dives for lobster out on the reef here. He does quite well, often bagging his limit.
The strange thing is HE DOESN'T EAT LOBSTER.
His daughter loves it, so she gets some as well as other friends of his and he always comes over and drops one or two off to us in trade for salmon and halibut. I love lobster tacos, and my favorite is lobster chille rellenos. Still have 3 or 4 in the freezer.
I sure hope they don't feel pain because when I get 'em I immediately twist the tail off and bust off one of their antennae and shove up their arss backward to de-vein it.
For many years as a young child my cousins and I were delegated to take all the lobsters our parents brought back from their food sourcing diving adventures and clean them.
This process involved breaking off the tip of one of their antennae and then sticking up their ahole to pull out their sht bag. Allot of times the shtbad would break in there as we were pulling it out and our parents would have to cut open the tail and clean out the doodoo from the meat all the while scolding us for ruining the tail. Normally they would just break off the tails and throw them all in a bag and into to the freezer for eating at a later date. The bodies would be used for making soup or bisque for chinese noodles.

Needless to say, just like from my days working in the pineapple cannery and tuna packers, I lost my appetite for lobster after dealing with doodoo sack after doodoo sack plus alll the lobster and crab we pigged out on every weekend down at the beachhouse.

So I definitely relate with your neighbor.
We had a vendor in Portsmouth NH who when we visited would wheel in these giant platters of giant lobster rolls that people from Hawaii would go crazy over. But for me it was Meh, a burger would've been just as good.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
One of the few times I was upset about something and wrote a letter about it had to do with a lobster. I was in Lazy Acres market in SB and in the lobster tank was a lobster that was over 60 years old. This thing survived over 6 decades avoiding lobster traps and predators. It was a freak of nature and they were selling it for someones dinner plate. It was HUGE and it cost around $200. The claws were bigger than my hands. It had a pretty cool ending though. Some lady from UCSB bought it for an aquarium. Some things just belong in the ocean and shouldn't be removed.
This post got to me.

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, my cousin and I were fishing in Big Sur and we caught a 29" steelhead. We were so proud. My cousin, who was a few years younger than me, carried it back to the campground. He held it by the gills up by his chest and the tail almost reached the ground. When we got to the campground I remember the ranger's reaction was total sadness. He must have seen that fish in the river for years and years. When I saw his expression I realized we'd done something wrong. We should have released that fish. Some things belong in the river and shouldn't be removed.

It did feed 15-20 members of my extended family when we got back to San Francisco. I didn't even like fish back then so didn't eat any.