CONVERTABLE 5 fin set ups?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Who knows if the standard convertable 5 fin box placement is the exact same placement of the boxes as it would be if it were just a quad or tri? Or does it deviate from that type of place ment to accomodate all?

BryanLamb

Tom Curren status
Jun 30, 2004
Typically you can't get both.

Usually, they do one or the other and then put the other box(es) best they can. I.e. - you get a quad with good placement but the thruster front fins are a hair too far forward, or you get a thruster (more common) with good placement and the cluster for the quad is a hair too far back.

In some placements, you can get both.

toreador

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2006
socal beachbreak barrels
Typically you can't get both.

Usually, they do one or the other and then put the other box(es) best they can. I.e. - you get a quad with good placement but the thruster front fins are a hair too far forward, or you get a thruster (more common) with good placement and the cluster for the quad is a hair too far back.

In some placements, you can get both.
i would think that the latter would be much more preferable.

interesting question because about the only thing left to consider about my next board purchase is whether or not to go thruster or 5-fin convertable. decided is the fact it will be a 6'3" x 19 x 2 3/8" roundpin (true roundpin) single to double with the widepoint just back from center(maybe a single to light single with a double in the single - that worked really well on my jc sd3).