Concussion?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Took a pretty good shot to the head. Board hit right cheekbone while getting tossed under water.
Had to sit on beach for a bit before walking to my truck. Didn't vomit, feel dizzy or anything but it fugin hurt!
Going on 4th day and head still pretty achy with a black eye.
Pretty typical timeframe for symptoms? Vision and everything are fine.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Took a pretty good shot to the head. Board hit right cheekbone while getting tossed under water.
Had to sit on beach for a bit before walking to my truck. Didn't vomit, feel dizzy or anything but it fugin hurt!
Going on 4th day and head still pretty achy with a black eye.
Pretty typical timeframe for symptoms? Vision and everything are fine.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
It’s been awhile, and I don’t necessarily agree with everything previously stated, but I’ve been out like a light for minutes on end, twice... Another time rattled the optic nerve in my eye and had movement / blurry vision for 30+ minutes after... Another I felt nauseous for a bit but never threw up, wrecked my shoulder on that one too so was detuned for awhile... Luckily these incidents were all spread out in time. I’ve had others that were surely concussion grade that I don’t count, but the main thing to worry about is repeated trauma, and especially how close together they are.

Studies have shown that athletes with 2-3 major concussions are highly likely to develop clinical depression later in life.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
had maybe 8 concussions , been ko-ed 4 times and fractured skull once.

Worst concussion: vomiting , headache, blurry vision , light made things worse, drowsy and confused.
I will most likely have CTE later in life :(

• Sad
Reactions: SirKooksALot

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I had a cycling accident in the late 1980's. I wasn't wearing a helmet and go knocked the eff out. Landed directly on my head and right shoulder. Vomiting, etc. I had amnesia for 24 hours, and while I thought I was fine, I couldn't tell you my name, where I lived or where I worked, among other things. Spent a night in the hospital, got some sleep, and remembered things the next day, and was released. Everything seemed to clear up fine.

Had a snowboarding accident about ten years later. Again, no helmet, got knocked out. Went into a bathroom at a slope side restaurant, and saw that my left pupil was completely dilated. Called a doctor friend who told me to get brain scans asap. I wasn't inclined because I was on vacation and partying with my brother. Instead, we went out that night and drank goldschlager shots. Felt pretty good the next day.

I don't what any of that means, but I really do not believe that those head shots caused me any long term damage, at least none that I can discern. I wouldn't worry too much. I had only mild 24 hour headaches. Maybe I just got lucky.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
U been dry-humping Duffy, or a really long run of bad luck?
long run of bad luck and some poor decisions.
2 before age 12 from freak accidents.
2 or 3 from HS football
1 drunk fence walking incident
2 skateboarding - worst one fractured skull and hospital time
1 snowboarding
knocked out by sucker punch before too,

they can study my brain.

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor
Nov 10, 2022
Sorry to hear about your head injury. It's been two years since you posted this, so I'm hoping you've fully recovered by now. In case anyone else comes across this thread, it's important to take head injuries seriously. Even if you didn't experience immediate symptoms like vomiting or dizziness, it's still possible to have a concussion. I would recommend getting a Concussion Assessment from a healthcare professional to rule out any serious injuries. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to your brain. In the meantime, make sure to rest and avoid any activities that could worsen your symptoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Good time for this to be topped although basketball related.

Bit on a pump fake on a fast break last night, timed it just perfectly that so opponent's head came up right as my jaw came down, took what was basically a massive uppercut under the chin, and (rightfully) called for the foul. Groggy as fuck, played through it even though motor functions and spatial awareness could have better. After a couple games, took a one game breather and semi-recovered, played for another hour and a half. Slight nausea and my head felt two sizes too small but otherwise maintained. Friend of mine couldn't believe I wasn't knocked out cold. I'm just glad I didn't bite my tongue...

Jaw muscles are tweaked - eating is difficult as hurts to open and close jaw. Doesn't feel broken and all my teeth seem OK. Abstained from aspirin/advil but took some Tylenol this morning after sleeping poorly.

Not my first concussion ride by any shot (I've lost count but it's well into double digits) but is it worth going to a doctor? Or just ride it out and take it easy for a couple days?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
4 days out seems completely reasonable

Not my first concussion ride by any shot (I've lost count but it's well into double digits) but is it worth going to a doctor? Or just ride it out and take it easy for a couple days?
Kaiser makes it pretty easy to communicate for us. If it were me, I'd email my doctor and let them decide what's best, but it's nice to give them the head's up on what your symptoms are in real time.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
4 days out seems completely reasonable

Kaiser makes it pretty easy to communicate for us. If it were me, I'd email my doctor and let them decide what's best, but it's nice to give them the head's up on what your symptoms are in real time.
Thanks, have another provider, emailed them, and they just got back to me, said pretty much rest, avoid screens/noise, hydrate, no hard thinking (no problem there), and seek help if symptoms turn for worse.

Right now, sore jaw and stiff neck are probably worst of it. Surf is trash anyways so at least there is that. Hopefully be OK to take advantage of day off on Friday to play a round of golf and basketball again on Sunday (also have a significant leg contusion from taking a knee or foot to the mid-shin from the Tuesday before; bruising down to the heel - good times!)

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
First things first. Never jump on the first pump fake. Can't hurt to get checked. I prob should've back when I posted this.
Also maybe some deadlifts?

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I was so ready to airmail that as I was on the run as he pulled up short for the shot. Probably should have subbed out as I didn't even know who I was supposed to be even guarding for a minute or two there.

Reactions: emmohl80