Concussion

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Slammed my head snowboarding (without a helmet like a dummy) a couple of weekends ago. Doctor confirmed mild concussion and said to take it easy until I feel better.

I was feeling back to about 100% this past Saturday (13 days post initial injury) and decided to go for a surf. Bad decision. Symptoms returned. Head's felt a little better each day since then, but I'm feeling noticeably worse than I was at the same time last week.

Was planning to give it the weekend to see how much I improve before I schedule another trip to the doctor. Reasonable move?

And when I'm back to 100% any thoughts on how long should I wait before surfing again? In hindsight, I don't think the doctor I saw (urgent care, not my primary) really understood what being active means to me or the impact of surfing.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I've learned a bit about this stuff via my wife, who has had several solid ones. She's had two in the last 14 months and a couple of serious ones before that. Things I've learned:

1. Once you get one, try very hard to avoid getting another one for a year. They compound on each other.
2. ER Dr.s may or may not know very much about the latest research on concussions. My wife and my friend's wife got concussed within a week of each other. Vastly different advice from 2 different docs at the same hospital.
3. If you didn't already, limit stimulus. Meaning, sit in a dark quiet room for a day. No phone, no computer etc. Give your brain time to heal and reset. See how you feel the next day. Some improvement? Do it again for another day. Etc. Wish we'd gotten that advice from the get go. Tough to do with work etc., but it apparently it can make a big difference.
4. Do not try to man up and push through it. As you've already seen, it can backslide quickly.

Good luck

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Thanks for the feedback janitor.

To anyone who ends up in my situation and reads this later, this part is especially true:

the janitor said:
3. If you didn't already, limit stimulus. Meaning, sit in a dark quiet room for a day. No phone, no computer etc. Give your brain time to heal and reset. See how you feel the next day. Some improvement? Do it again for another day. Etc. Wish we'd gotten that advice from the get go. Tough to do with work etc., but it apparently it can make a big difference.
I wasn't able to do it during the day as it happened the weekend before week 2 of a new job, but in the evenings for the first week I was sitting in my house with the lights off, sunglasses on, and a hoodie pulled over my face. Was boring as hell, but it helped a lot.

This week it's pretty much been going to bed as soon as I get home from work which seems to be doing the trick.

Feeling pretty good today, but even if I'm feeling fantastic this weekend I won't be surfing for a couple more weeks at the very least. Easy to forget you're dealing with an injury when there aren't any outward signs of it.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/symptoms-causes/syc-20355594

pretty good resource to give a general overview. In general, for medicine you can usually trust .orgs or .edu but I would stay away from .com of personal anecdotes. Janitors story sound more like info he researched than anecdotal.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
combo of both, due to incomplete advice we got from ER docs and follow ups. Wife has had 4 serious concussions since 1995, with the last 2 in the last 14 months. She's at the point now where a shot to the head that most people can shake off (bump a cabinet door or something) sends her back into consussion syndrome, so I've been reading up and listening to podcasts

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
VaB said:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/symptoms-causes/syc-20355594

pretty good resource to give a general overview. In general, for medicine you can usually trust .orgs or .edu but I would stay away from .com of personal anecdotes. Janitors story sound more like info he researched than anecdotal.
For sure. Thanks man. I'm already up to speed on that. (And I'm feeling really good today!)

I guess what I'm hoping for is recommendations on how long after I'm cleared for activity I should wait before surfing from people who actually understand the action and impacts of surfing. Like, should I just lie and tell my doctor I really can't wait to get back to playing basketball and use that as a stand in for surfing? I think she'd understand that a little better.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I am for sure not qualified to make that call, but maybe tiptoe back in?

Go swim in a pool and see how you feel.

No issues? Go swim in the ocean and bodysurf and see how you feel.

No issues? Go bodysurf harder, get rolled etc. and see how you feel.

No issues? Go surf some runoff rivermouth up in Santa Barbara after this storm :hat:

seriously though, good luck, you sound like you are being cautious so I'm guessing you are on a good path :shrug:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
+1 on #3, that's prime advice. I had one maybe 10 years ago and sort of ignored it, and had a pretty bad one about 2 years ago and did exactly that and mostly got up just to go to the bathroom. The confusion and weird hazy feeling is kinda scary.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I randomly came across this thread, this morning, and low and behold the same thing happened to me last week, while snowboarding in Colorado :eek:

Tanner Jr. and I went over to the side of the mountain (Snowmass) that we hadn't ridden yet, and on the first run, realized we could have made a better choice. It was just a pretty narrow run that had quite a few patches of ice, that were hidden by the inch or snow of fresh snow.

We were taking it super easy and mostly just doing the 'pendulum' to get down this pretty terrible run. Alas, it seemed to get a little bit better so I decided to try and ride the 'regular' way, so I pointed my nose down and went for it.........

First heel side to toe side carve was fine, but on the next transition to heel side, I hit a hidden patch of ice, lost my edge and banana-peeled out, landing on the back of my head.

Thank God I had a helmet on.

Everything went dark for a split second, and instead of stars I saw two squares (one yellow, one blue)!

It happened so freaking fast that I couldn't believe it and sat right back up, mad as hell and cursing :censored:

I think the adrenaline was what kept me going, and the run shortly intersected with a much better one, so we got down to the base with ease, the rest of the way.

We ended up doing two more runs and Tanner Jr. actually told me those were my best two runs of the trip! :socrazy:

Then, it was early afternoon and we hadn't eaten lunch yet, so I said lets take a break and get some food and water.

We parked in the garage at the base of the hill, so we could have easy access to the car and our stuff, so we put our boards in a rack and started walking to the car.

About halfway there (and it was a pretty short distance) I started to feel a little weird. Got in the elevator, to go one floor down and really started to feel 'fuzzy'. Got off the elevator, walked about 20 yards in the garage and had to stop because I thought I was going to puke (I didn't).

We had a hatchback, so I popped it and we sat in the back having water and snacks, and I felt much better after about 20 minutes. Decided I would try a few more runs and then probably call it a day.

I made it about halfway back to the elevator and had to stop again because I thought I was going to puke (again, I didn't).

We were staying with family, who live locally, and I ended up having to call them to come get us, because I knew there was no way I should be driving.

Family member knows the on-site doctor at Snowmass, so after they arrived we went over there, but that Doctor had just left for the day. Nurse came out, asked me a bunch of questions (by that point I was super fuzzy), checked my eyes, etc. and said 'Definitely a mild concussion' then asked if the helmet was mine or a rental. When I said rental, she said 'When you return it, tell them to take it out of the rental fleet'.

Went directly home, and only had some light conversation (no phone, no computer, etc) for a few hours (family said I was occasionally repeating myself), then when it got dark, basically sequestered myself in a bedroom for a few more hours. Ate some bland food and went to bed.

The next morning I did feel better, but holy hell did my neck hurt (like whiplash). Went to a family friend who's a chiropractor and she took care of that, along with a few other things.

We hooked Tanner Jr. up with some other family friends who were riding that day, so he could keep the dream going, and I literally sat at the fire pit at the base of the mountain all day, just chilling (again, no phone, no computer). Felt even better by the end of that day.

Next day (our last day of the trip) we just cruised around so Tanner Jr. could hit a few skateparks and we could take in some sites, etc.. Super low key, and I wasn't driving, but did start to look at my phone a little bit and again, felt better.

Day after that (last Saturday), we flew home and I was a little nervous about getting on the flight, but everything was great, and I felt fine.

Spent Sunday basically doing nothing, except hanging at home with the family, watching movies, etc.

Went to work on Monday morning, and dove right back into it. No problems all week, and didn't feel 'off' at all.

Purposely didn't surf or skate all this week, but am thinking about paddling out tomorrow on a longer board, to take it easy and see how it goes.

:cheers:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
the janitor said:
I am for sure not qualified to make that call, but maybe tiptoe back in?

Go swim in a pool and see how you feel.

No issues? Go swim in the ocean and bodysurf and see how you feel.

No issues? Go bodysurf harder, get rolled etc. and see how you feel.

No issues? Go surf some runoff rivermouth up in Santa Barbara after this storm :hat:

seriously though, good luck, you sound like you are being cautious so I'm guessing you are on a good path :shrug:
This is how i teach. Approximation.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
My only comment is wear a fcking helmet snowboarding. My mom went down hard snowboarding and got a serious concussion. She was just cruising through a flat section and caught an edge. She was walking around the base Asking where she was and irrelevant, random questions to strangers until she coincidentally asked a ski patrol who immediately picked up on what was going on. She was wearing a helmet, would probably be dead if she hadn’t been.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
bird. said:
And when I'm back to 100% any thoughts on how long should I wait before surfing again?
"it is best to wait 3 months before any athletic activities are resumed"

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
92122 said:
bird. said:
And when I'm back to 100% any thoughts on how long should I wait before surfing again?
"it is best to wait 3 months before any athletic activities are resumed"
What's your source for that?

My head still fkn hurts a little bit, so I'm holding off on surfing for now. Going back to the gym tonight though. Tired of feeling like I'm turning into a pile of dough sitting around all the time.