Computer Nerds- your guidance please

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
My work from home computer rig is in questionable health

I have not bought a computer in a while

I lean toward a desktop because I never leave my house now and they seem generally cheaper

we have a bunch of Apple stuff so I’m sort of tempted to get an iMac to integrate with phones and iPads but Mac compatibility with my remote access to work seems like a PITA so I’ll probably not do this

In the PC world I frankly have no idea. I’m currently using a Toshiba laptop that is about 10 yrs old. Before that I had an IBM thinkpad

id like it to be cheapish but don’t want something that will break in 6 months

ability to rig up multiple monitors would be nice but I assume this is not hard to come by

I am not playing games or writing code or doing anything sophisticated.

thanks in advance for any recommendations

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
now is not quite the right time

but find the mom and pop shop that

the Geek Squad uses when they get stuck !! )

buy something off of them !! ) :)

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I believe we covered this sort of thing on the working from home experts thread. Schedule a zoom meeting with your IT support team. Per protocol, during the meeting you will be shirtless in the power rack cranking out squats in front of the House of Ocean Crest. You simply tell the IT folks that you require a new Macbook and extremely large monitor if they expect you to keep the wheels of commerce (and their paychecks) running at your company. And you need this installed by Friday. Offer a bonus of $X00 and an unopened TP package for whomever gets it done.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T480 that I beat mercilessly. It's property of my work and seems to serve me well. Last glance they go for around 7-8 hundo. I've had this one for 8 months, no issues. Get your work to buy you a machine, if it's an option.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you should talk to mapache

he sells refurbished macs from institutions

good deal. shipped. surf(er) labor.

PM me and I can put you in touch....don't think he checks PMs here anymore

be mindful that I've seen delays in shipping for some sites like amazon, so
where you order from may be driven by that if you are on tight timelines

I only have experience buying components from them, but their support
is good...maybe newegg.com for a prebuilt PC tower?

laptops are nice because they are stow and go...portable...are you particular
about where you masturbate at home?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Macs do not play nice with many business applications. Always best to check if it will play nicely with your company's workflow. Given you've got a 10 year old laptop a modern Windows laptop that's under $600 will blow your old one away. I use LogMeIn Pro to work with the desktop client to make it easier.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I believe we covered this sort of thing on the working from home experts thread. Schedule a zoom meeting with your IT support team. Per protocol, during the meeting you will be shirtless in the power rack cranking out squats in front of the House of Ocean Crest. You simply tell the IT folks that you require a new Macbook and extremely large monitor if they expect you to keep the wheels of commerce (and their paychecks) running at your company. And you need this installed by Friday. Offer a bonus of $X00 and an unopened TP package for whomever gets it done.
make it so!

and now, a new squat PR!

Reactions: the janitor

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Macs do not play nice with many business applications. Always best to check if it will play nicely with your company's workflow. Given you've got a 10 year old laptop a modern Windows laptop that's under $600 will blow your old one away. I use LogMeIn Pro to work with the desktop client to make it easier.
yeah, there is some workaround to get a Mac going on our remote access. It is reportedly a PITA. That is what I am continuing to use my 10 yr old Toshiba rather than my wife’s 3 yr old Mac laptop

I fortunately only have to work during normal business hours so I’m cool with a desktop if it is cheaper and offers a better user experience (ie, better keyboard and bigger monitor).

I frankly just don’t know the brands right now. Is Acer decent? Is this sh!t basically a commodity at this point?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017

masturbation is easily accomplished via ipad, duh

this is about boring work sh!t

Not to say there isn’t fodder there, obviously

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

I can confirm all of this

I've bought or had other people buy probably about 10 computers from Mapache at this point

A+

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
It depends on your buget. If you need a lot of screens then you should go with Ryzen. It is more efficient and cheaper than intel. And install windows on it. Ryzen and other popular components are optimized for windows. Also, you need to get a completely free driver updater. It will make it faster and will prevent from future errors and bugs. It is very useful and easy to use.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Most new hardware is crap. I just had a Dell battery overheat and nearly explode due to the gas. The mechanical design is crap: there are no feet on the bottom of the laptop and the ventilation is on the bottom so the fan was constantly running. The battery couldn't tolerate +149 F.

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

I've been so fed up with trying to run DaVinci Resolve on my dying Mac Pro Trashcan that I filled the Newegg basket with all the components to build a PC, after over 30 years of owning Macs exclusively.

Thing is, I just can't Windows.

I went to Linux forums and that made me change my mind about running Ubuntu. Fucking nerds! :poop:

So I'm back with the fruit company. :bawling:

Apple offered me $950 trade-in for my Trashcan but I can't justify buying the Cheesegrater.

I guess what Im trying to say is, can you DM me mapache's contact info?

Does he have any of them iMac Pros or only older stuff?

Cheers me dears.