Coming back after 3 months off - What's it like?

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Hey ya'll.

I'm just wondering what most people's experiences are like after coming off of a significant injury that left you out of the water and unable to surf or even exercise for around 3-4 months. Was it like riding a bike? How was your paddle fitness compared to before the injury and how long/how many sessions before you felt like you got back into good surfing shape? What was harder to re-develop, your timing or your body?

I recently had a back injury that's left me pretty immobile for a month or so... I'm slowly gaining it back. It's the first significant injury i've had so am curious what others experienced making a comeback. For reference, I'm in my early 30s and before I got injured was surfing 5-6 days a week and in what I would call above average paddle shape. I have no expectations for how I will return and am not trying to rush anything.

Thanks for the replies... yewwWW!!

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
It's not like starting as a beginner again. Your muscles have memory...no matter how out of shape I get jumping back in the water always feels natural. It's definitely like riding a bike...usually I just find that my confidence/timing/popups are a little slow. I'm 35 and I've had multiple times out for injuries.

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
It's not like starting as a beginner again. Your muscles have memory...no matter how out of shape I get jumping back in the water always feels natural. It's definitely like riding a bike...usually I just find that my confidence/timing/popups are a little slow. I'm 35 and I've had multiple times out for injuries.
I've been surfing since I was a youngin' and every time I take some time off and getting back I feel it's basically like riding a bike... not as bad as I think. Never been out with an injury that prevented me from exercising out of the water tho, so I guess that's where the unknown lies.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Long periods out of the water kill me now. I can't seem to pull it together.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Paddling and endurance goes to sh!t. Timing is off and confidence shattered too. Usually takes a few weeks of consistent surfing to feel in tune again.

Reactions: Havoc

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
when i blew out my knee i came back after 4 months or so using the Rick kane method, started with a longboard worked down to some high volume easy wave catching boards and eventually back onto my regular boards. the surfing doesn't leave you , just the paddling and popping up.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
when i blew out my knee i came back after 4 months or so using the Rick kane method, started with a longboard worked down to some high volume easy wave catching boards and eventually back onto my regular boards. the surfing doesn't leave you , just the paddling and popping up.
this, plus timing for me. Ill be going on at least 6 months off.