Cole eeV twin?

Jul 18, 2018
I had the 6'9" Twin Pin for a while.
I liked it but didn't love it for the waves near me (east coast beach breaks).
I could duck dive it but not very well, would be a struggle for me to get into the lineup when overhead+.
Didn't like it for small surf but once up on a solid wave, it was super fun and easy to surf.
I only sold it because I knew it would get used very rarely and I don't have much quiver storage.

I'm considering something like a Tur-twin (6'8" ish) now which looks like it might grovel a bit better but still hold in bigger high-tide surf.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
You mean the Maurice Cole Twin Pin?

Had a 6'7 for awhile. Worked well in overhead surf. The forward vee works great in getting into waves very smooth. Easy to stick drops.

Didn't like it so much in smaller waves. The rear end feels very drawn out and makes the board project more than pivot. Something about that drawn tail and the overall outline that I didn't really jibe with.

Also, mine at least was glassed pretty lightly. For a board like this, I would have preferred a little more heft but I bought it used from an erBB member and was happy as it was exactly what I wanted at the time.

Overall it's a good board, I just prefer something with a little more curve overall vs the sort of straight bullet outline. A little more curve in the tail area would help.

As far as the comments above the Tur twin it's pretty terrible in anything that isn't slopey but for softer waves and higher tides works really well. Just not super versatile. Loved it in slopey North County San Diego, not great in in punchier Mexico. Definitely would not want for east coast beach break.

Reactions: bvendley

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
You mean the Maurice Cole Twin Pin?

Had a 6'7 for awhile. Worked well in overhead surf. The forward vee works great in getting into waves very smooth. Easy to stick drops.

Didn't like it so much in smaller waves. The rear end feels very drawn out and makes the board project more than pivot. Something about that drawn tail and the overall outline that I didn't really jibe with.

Also, mine at least was glassed pretty lightly. For a board like this, I would have preferred a little more heft but I bought it used from an erBB member and was happy as it was exactly what I wanted at the time.

Overall it's a good board, I just prefer something with a little more curve overall vs the sort of straight bullet outline. A little more curve in the tail area would help.
Yeah the outline is very straight and that wing on it seems like an insult. Thanks for the review.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I suspect it would be a much better board without the wing and a wider more rounded tail, much like the Tur Twin or the diamond tail version of the board.

Biggest issues with the Tur Twin is that it is very flat under the front foot and a little forward and tends to catch. There's more rocker in the nose but it's too far forward to really matter. If you moved the rocker apex back on this, I think it would be much better.

That's my arm chair shaping for you.

Yeah the outline is very straight and that wing on it seems like an insult. Thanks for the review.

Reactions: Aruka

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
I've got one (Maurice Cole twin pin) that I use pretty often in Norcal beachbreak. It's a 6'10.

It paddles well, duckdives well, and is pretty easy to surf. It makes the waves feel bigger or steeper than they are which is a plus in drifty messy springtime surf.

When it's bigger and bumpy/messy I think the board goes better with bigger fins. Have tried C drives, Britt Twin, and Merrick Twin Keel. The keels go best when it's overhead and ugly.

I think the board would go better with the nose narrowed up a bit/foiled out more. I'm not doing Torren cheater 5 barrel stances so the extra foam up front is kind of a waste/gets in the way sometimes. It is nice for hanging out there while waiting for weak waves to reform. The board does connect dead zones pretty well without doing the flippy flappy.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017

This thing looks pretty sweet. If it were a little bit shorter I’d consider scooping it.

Reactions: JDJ

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
I suspect it would be a much better board without the wing and a wider more rounded tail, much like the Tur Twin or the diamond tail version of the board.

Biggest issues with the Tur Twin is that it is very flat under the front foot and a little forward and tends to catch. There's more rocker in the nose but it's too far forward to really matter. If you moved the rocker apex back on this, I think it would be much better.

That's my arm chair shaping for you.
Interesting assessment on the Tur Twin. I have a shorter Tur Twin (6'4") that I ride all the time and works great in most conditions, big and small. But now that you mention it, I have noticed that I sometimes blow steep/quick drops on that board. I always just chalked it up to user error - getting older and slower. But I sometimes do question it, thinking to myself "how did I not make that drop ... WTF." Maybe you are onto something. Still a great board though, in most So Cal conditions.

Reactions: Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My friend has a custom 6'3 that I was basing my assessment on. I rode it a few times on a good swell at Cardiff reef. It felt really good coming out of the tail on bigger sets. If I tried to rush it the nose would get in the way and dig just forward of my front foot where it was really flat. Then took it down to Salina Cruz area and on tighter waves with more push it was just a no go. Didn't really fit the waves and couldn't really string turns together because it was constantly catching. Switched to my Ghost which was maybe a little much for the waves but it worked a 100x better.

It's a good SoCal board if you're not surfing anywhere that gets too steep and I think if you got Doc to modify the nose rocker a bit you could probably make it a bit more versatile.

Interesting assessment on the Tur Twin. I have a shorter Tur Twin (6'4") that I ride all the time and works great in most conditions, big and small. But now that you mention it, I have noticed that I sometimes blow steep/quick drops on that board. I always just chalked it up to user error - getting older and slower. But I sometimes do question it, thinking to myself "how did I not make that drop ... WTF." Maybe you are onto something. Still a great board though, in most So Cal conditions.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I know some peeps witb the MC reverse v twin.

one is a ripper and could surf a door. turned him into a wave hog when he wants. I think his surfing looks limited on it and he looked way better on a dd hpsb.

the other is an adult learner - the struggle is real and this board don’t help.

ymmv, not even sure if you’re asking about this bor.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The board definitely has it's place, I would say in bigger surf where you want a longer, more drawn out turn. The reverse vee up front really is uncanny how good it feels dropping in. Doesn't feel like a flat egg at all. The best session I had on mine was in overhead beachbreak on the outer sandbars where it would back off a bit and open up and then speed up as it hit the inner bars.

It feels a little less good in tighter waves where you don't want to draw your turns out as much and the projection works against you. Think it could be improved by pushing the widepoint back a bit and widening the tail to give it some more overall curve.

I have a Craigslist alert out for one and would buy my old one back as there are days where it's the right board for the job, it's just not as versatile as I'd hoped.