Cobra Killer

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The board I'm supposed to pick up tonight took some inspiration from the Cobra Killer and the Stacey Bullet Twin. A local shaper (Dan Cobley) shaped a 5' 8" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/8" for me. It still needed to be wet sanded when I popped by this morning, but it felt pretty insane under the arm and really light for a PU.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Anyone here tied the Lost ...Cobra Killer? Looks good. Ultra deep concaves instead of channel bottom sounds like a smoother alternative...to me

Nothing 'unsmooth' about channels if they're done right. This man knows how:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Nothing 'unsmooth' about channels if they're done right. This man knows how:
Wow, no joking those are very smooth indeed/works of art Maz!

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Dale worked for decades alongside Allan Byrne, and now runs Byrning Spears. Shapes, glasses, sands. Super meticulous and skilled, and totally devoted to channel bottoms. Very nice guy.

If you guys are keen on one, I couldn't recommend him any higher. Boards are a total bargain, too. (I have zero affiliation with Dale/Byrning Spears, apart from buying my 6'2 3 years ago.)

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Dale worked for decades alongside Allan Byrne, and now runs Byrning Spears. Shapes, glasses, sands. Super meticulous and skilled, and totally devoted to channel bottoms. Very nice guy.

If you guys are keen on one, I couldn't recommend him any higher. Boards are a total bargain, too. (I have zero affiliation with Dale/Byrning Spears, apart from buying my 6'2 3 years ago.)

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Good to know, was a dream of mine to have one ever since I saw one guy ruling kirra in 89 on similar equipment. Hopefully one day I will return there and realise that dream on a craft of Dale!

Jan 2, 2006

Can vouch for Maz - ordered a 6'5" from Dale in early 2016 and picked it up when visiting Oz. Dale is a total devotee to AB and has the deep 6 channel bottoms dialed as you would expect. And he is cool as.

Reactions: Maz and chilly1

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
1980's , 1990's , 2000 , 2010 , 2020
in my 5th decade - still not Cool ! ;-)

Annnd "Rear Set " Twins aint nothin new either -

Brian King the origin of Turtle and team rider bought my T&C Demo Twin at this time

He called it the Rear Set Twin ever since - yes it was noticed

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Paul is a Very talented board builder .

Some of whats going on in the marketing world is pretty amazing

"Modern Fish" - Low apex Rails - applying Higher Volume #'s of Longer boards to shorter ones

Kinda already been doing this forever = Surfboard World ;-)

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Paul is a Very talented board builder .

Some of whats going on in the marketing world is pretty amazing

"Modern Fish" - Low apex Rails - applying Higher Volume #'s of Longer boards to shorter ones

Kinda already been doing this forever = Surfboard World ;-)
Thanks GG,
I may be mistaken but I believe you build channels and not concaves? If I am mistaken would you (or anybody who would care to chime in?)care to share any in depth feedback in regards to deep concaves vs channel bottom designs? I suppose it would relate more to this tread if focused on those bottoms application to Twin fins. Mahalo!

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
This summed everything up. GG mic drop!?!
Not sure about that, appreciative of GG comment tho. It seems puzzling that Matt would add, design with SOC, and wholeheartedly back a design with those off sounding performance characteristic attributes to his line. I think GG is off concaves mostly anyways but the description he provided makes sense...I think, maybe.

Last edited: