C'mon B!tches show me your ...

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
yeah yeah - old trick but still fooled you. Getting ready to move into a new house in a few weeks so first priority after settling in is building a new surfboard rack. Nothing elaborate but wanted to get some ideas/creativity flowing ... so show me what you got. I prefer mine standing up versus laying on top or bottom but open to trying new things. ;):poke:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
1x2x12' (depending on space size of quiver) every 12"-16"(? Space) drill 1/2" hole 1/2" wide. Cut or buy 1/2" x 24" pvc and caps. Glue with clear gorrilla glue and use bungee cords on ends to keep boards in racks

Last edited:
Reactions: flyinraptr

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
1x2x12' (depending on space size of quiver) every 12"-16"(? Space) drill 1/2" hole 1/2" wide. Cut or buy 1/2" x 24" ovc and caps. Glue with clear gorrilla glue and use bungee cords on ends to keep boards in racks
"buy 1/2" x 24" ovc and caps"

I believe he means "PVC" and end Caps. Buy a 12 foot length of PVC and cut 2 foot pieces to size.
Screw the 1 x 2 to the studs in the wall ~ usually 16" on center (for the US of A)

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
"buy 1/2" x 24" ovc and caps"

I believe he means "PVC" and end Caps. Buy a 12 foot length of PVC and cut 2 foot pieces to size.
Screw the 1 x 2 to the studs in the wall ~ usually 16" on center (for the US of A)
Thanks PPK .... yeah i figured as much. So construction here is different ... everything load bearing is built completely with cinder block. So - the structure is like a bomb shelter but when it comes to hanging pictures, flat screen tv's, etc - pain in the @ss - especially if you make a mistake. I will likely use expansion bolts to mount the wood base to the wall. The only question is how many boards do i want between each pvc divider. PVC is a great idea - as wooden dawls are hard to find here. Thinking though of going a little thicker on the PVC - maybe 1" give it a little more support - less flex. My quiver now is roughly 11 boards at last count - some are in storage at the moment. The other thing i have in mind is some sort of stand for waxing/repairs.

Reactions: santacruzin

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
My house is very old and a good portion of the original "garage" is made of cinder block. I just ran a couple 2x4's up the wall with Tapcons and a heavy duty impact drill. Then I drilled holes at an angle and glued in dowels, covered by foam. Pretty cheap, and not pretty, but it gets the job done for 5-6 boards.

Attachments

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
My house is very old and a good portion of the original "garage" is made of cinder block. I just ran a couple 2x4's up the wall with Tapcons and a heavy duty impact drill. Then I drilled holes at an angle and glued in dowels, covered by foam. Pretty cheap, and not pretty, but it gets the job done for 5-6 boards.
Nice! Yeah - just looking to do something that is cheap and functional. I haven't been able to find any wood dowels - so PVC seems like a good alternative.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Tenover, brought up a good point on cinder block and "tapcons" which allows you to tap into cement and secure / hold something to cement. My suggestion would be to use a 2 x 4 instead as I would have suggested first, thinking that you would have a wood backing for the 1 x 2 which was earlier suggested.
I don't think the 1 x 2 will give you enough purchase for the PVC in "depth", making it more wobbly if more than one surfboard is placed into a slot using the 1 x 2. Using a 2 x 4, will give you deeper depth in pushing the PVC deeper into the 2 x 4 and glueing to secure the PVC.
Heck, you can measure, predrill your holes all the way through, hang and tapcon into your cement wall, glue the PVC ends and tap them into the 2 x 4 all the way in against the cement wall backing.
Tapcon screws come in different lengths. Expansion bolts can be used too. Use a good 2 part glue for either. Food for thought ~ :waving:
edit: Counter sink the tapcons or expansion bolts to save your rails on your boards.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Yeah I should probably do that since every once in awhile a board will slip and it makes a not so desireable thud even in the board bag
do your boards ever yellow in the bags? was told once before maybe even on the erbb they shouldnt be bagged 24/7 cuz of that.

I have the 2x4 and dowel & foam setup. So many boards now theres 2 crammed into each slot. I also use a standard welcome mat type thing that the boards rest on. it aint pretty but it works especially in apartment living. didnt build mine - bought some sh!t of amazon.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
do your boards ever yellow in the bags? was told once before maybe even on the erbb they shouldnt be bagged 24/7 cuz of that.

I have the 2x4 and dowel & foam setup. So many boards now theres 2 crammed into each slot. I also use a standard welcome mat type thing that the boards rest on. it aint pretty but it works especially in apartment living. didnt build mine - bought some sh!t of amazon.
no not at all. My boards looks pretty darn good even run into the ground.

Reactions: CutnSnip

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Tenover, brought up a good point on cinder block and "tapcons" which allows you to tap into cement and secure / hold something to cement. My suggestion would be to use a 2 x 4 instead as I would have suggested first, thinking that you would have a wood backing for the 1 x 2 which was earlier suggested.
I don't think the 1 x 2 will give you enough purchase for the PVC in "depth", making it more wobbly if more than one surfboard is placed into a slot using the 1 x 2. Using a 2 x 4, will give you deeper depth in pushing the PVC deeper into the 2 x 4 and glueing to secure the PVC.
Heck, you can measure, predrill your holes all the way through, hang and tapcon into your cement wall, glue the PVC ends and tap them into the 2 x 4 all the way in against the cement wall backing.
Tapcon screws come in different lengths. Expansion bolts can be used too. Use a good 2 part glue for either. Food for thought ~ :waving:
edit: Counter sink the tapcons or expansion bolts to save your rails on your boards.
Good idea. I like it and i think by having a little gap between the board that the boards lean up against and the actual cement wall will help keep them from getting accidently scratched or dinged from rubbing up against the cement.

surfMOMster

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 18, 2003
Redondo Ave's
Thanks for posting pics of your free standing rack. It's exactly what I've had in mind for storage now that the quiver has grown recently. It's perfect for my needs, I'm going to build one just like it.

Don't need to know the volume, but would you mind sharing the dims?