Clay Marzo won a contest

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm 75%ish sure that Marzo won a contest at Padang today. This might be from like 2012 and I'm just not seeing that in YouTube. No ***Official*** post that I found. If it's true, cool to see! Rizal on commentary. Also doesn't help identify the year.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Yup. It was today. Started the final with a 10. Good for Clay :jamon:

Edit: Trippy contest. Erin Brooks - 13-15 year old girl ripper - was in the same final

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
You're right. Good for him. And he got a 10 in the final, with a 8.73 backup.

Erin Brooks also made the final. She's pretty young? Good on her for making it that far against the dudes.

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I knew women didn't need a separate division! Been saying this. She kicked ass and i've never even heard of her, so one of those Hawaiian girls could totally have won the thing. Looks like your free pass is expiring ladies, time to compete fairly. Welcome to equality bltches! :cheers::p

Reactions: Redeyes

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I watched most of the replay of contest, it had some strange stuff. The 16 surfers all got to surf two 4 person heats and got points on how they placed, 10pts for 1st, 7 for 2nd 4 for 3rd and 1 for 4th. The waves started out good and it was a pure barrel riding contest but by the 2nd round the tide or whatever was killing it. Clay didn't catch a wave in his first heat and got 1 point. He was in the last heat of the second round and was the only one to make a barrel. Erin was in the same heat and had a closeout and a shoulder that she did a turn on which was better then the guy who had 2 closeouts and the guy who didn't catch a wave. Clay was in 9th place and not going to make the semi-finals but Benji Brand, who won both his heats, got sick and withdrew.
Shane Dorian started his 2nd round heat with a 6.6, which was the best score of the heat, then sat with priority for 20 minutes needing 2 points but didn't catch a wave.
Erin surfed the last heat of round 2 then the women's heat then the first semi-final, back to back to back. They did take a long break before the semi-final to let the tide drop. Erin's 8 in the semi-final was the best wave of the heat.