City of Del Mar, kindly f*ck off. (relevant to all San Diego County residents)

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So the main question here

You can't surf in a mask.

So, this would technically be a ban on surfing?
It's a valid question in one sense. Are you supposed to scamper from your car/house to the beach with a mask on, bury it in the sand just about high tide line, and then retrieve after surfing?

And then there's the other sense where you realize that Del Mar is one of the biggest piece of sh*t excuses for a wave in the entire world. And that's not an exaggeration. It literally makes Pescadero Street looks good and the only excuse for that place is that one of Saddam's highly errant Scuds hit it. Maybe two. Like seriously, I used to live 100 yards from Tamarack/Pray for Chastity. The nickname hence (especially for those on Oahu) is that waves will come in, hit that reef and jack downwards by half before possibly breaking. I use the word possibly as a way to distinguish from Del Mar because the word then would be never - they drool on the sand. I grew up surfing Oxtura and the concept of waves doing that is horribly infuriating and living there literally set my surfing back decades.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
i dont mind wearin a mask
plus i like to be in disguise
Exactly.

THIS is Jaden Smith in a White Batman Suit.

“We’ve always worn masks in public, only now they’re real” Jaden Smith

I finally ordered some cloth ones, from the band CAKE’s webstore of all places. I’m still trying to figure out why they used the word “Hoax” on one of the designs (it’s very subtle so of course I ordered it).

Last edited:

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
It's a valid question in one sense. Are you supposed to scamper from your car/house to the beach with a mask on, bury it in the sand just about high tide line, and then retrieve after surfing?

And then there's the other sense where you realize that Del Mar is one of the biggest piece of sh*t excuses for a wave in the entire world. And that's not an exaggeration. It literally makes Pescadero Street looks good and the only excuse for that place is that one of Saddam's highly errant Scuds hit it. Maybe two. Like seriously, I used to live 100 yards from Tamarack/Pray for Chastity. The nickname hence (especially for those on Oahu) is that waves will come in, hit that reef and jack downwards by half before possibly breaking. I use the word possibly as a way to distinguish from Del Mar because the word then would be never - they drool on the sand. I grew up surfing Oxtura and the concept of waves doing that is horribly infuriating and living there literally set my surfing back decades.
peskys was good in the 70s. Topless babes on the wall, that outside reef that picked up the passing south swells, Grants tomb... the inside right barrel. Then the city fucked it up with massive boulders from Coronado Avenue to Orchard Avenue. RIP.
In 50 years I never even considered paddling out at Del Mar.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
peskys was good in the 70s. Topless babes on the wall, that outside reef that picked up the passing south swells, Grants tomb... the inside right barrel. Then the city fucked it up with massive boulders from Coronado Avenue to Orchard Avenue. RIP.
In 50 years I never even considered paddling out at Del Mar.
Del Mar isn't that bad. The reefs at 8th and 11th can throw fun walls on the right swell and tide. 15th is probably the prime mother/daughter trophy wife/jailbait circle of life exhibit on the planet.