CI Twin Pin

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I would say not just good waves, but good, open faced waves with that give you a bit of time and room to maneuver. Think perfect points or reefs rather than bowling beach break. All the bigger days we've gotten recently tend toward super fast and hollow, more Ghost than Twin Pin.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I would say not just good waves, but good, open faced waves with that give you a bit of time and room to maneuver. Think perfect points or reefs rather than bowling beach break. All the bigger days we've gotten recently tend toward super fast and hollow, more Ghost than Twin Pin.
look at you and your fancy ghost-worthy bigger days!

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Different strokes for different folks. I picked one up used about a month ago and have been surfing it in OBX beach break from Duck to Cape Hatteras. I do have penchant for riding weird boards in beach breaks, but I have really found the twin pin to work quite well for me when the waves call for it. Surprisingly so. I am impressed by its ability to take a late drop and I think it goes good both on the open face and in beach break barrels, frontside and backside.

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
boar fuks in norcal beachbreak.
whenever I'm missing the third fin I drag the boner it gives me on frontside bottom turns for hold and thrust (can do backside too but angle hurts the dic joint.)
I like this board.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Rode mine yesterday in some afternoon slop at uppers. Went actually descent for how bumpy it was. Has anyone found a fin alternative to the BM’s that they clicked with. Going to try the Krakens in Volan and see how they go when it get head high again.

Reactions: JDJ

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Rode mine yesterday in some afternoon slop at uppers. Went actually descent for how bumpy it was. Has anyone found a fin alternative to the BM’s that they clicked with. Going to try the Krakens in Volan and see how they go when it get head high again.
Riding BMT's in another round pin twin I found they would feel good in a turn until they would release too quickly for my liking. Someone with faster reactions times would probably not worry about this. Feel that for me it has too much tip area going into the beak at the recurved tip that makes it do that. The Asher Pacey template twins are similar but don't give me the same sudden disengagement feeling.
I do like the Lovelace Piggybacks as well.20220621_152356.jpg20220622_091253.jpg20220622_091325.jpg

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Riding BMT's in another round pin twin I found they would feel good in a turn until they would release too quickly for my liking.
I was feeling this too yesterday in shoulder to overhead punchy, barreling beach break. It was nice when I was trying to get into the lip or hack into a bowly section, but also had some moments when it would release/ pivot sharply all of a sudden at the wrong times.

Reactions: Retropete

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I was feeling this too yesterday in shoulder to overhead punchy, barreling beach break. It was nice when I was trying to get into the lip or hack into a bowly section, but also had some moments when it would release/ pivot sharply all of a sudden at the wrong times.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. The sudden release was also occurring for me in good sized, hollow waves so there is that.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I think it's pretty sensitive to foot placement. This was happening when my foot was behind the fins. Also, a bit of a surprise coming off of quads, which draw a very predictable and even line. I bet once you dial in the release point, you can do some radical surfing. Looks like M Feb is always finishing his turns with some flare.

Talking about surging the CI Twin Pin w/ BM twins, btw

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Bump.

Speaking of bump, how does the Twin Pin do in bump, slightly up-volumed? I think I saw some SF/NorCal people in here especially. You know how even when OB is pretty clean, you could be surfing kind of open-faced, no crisp lip/coping OH surf out the back with some warble and lump to it vs dead slick oil? Does this board settle down in that, or does it bounce about and have a tendency to porpoise? Like in your zone's wind-exposed reefs where average EPS won't behave as calmly as poly, how does the Twin Pin deal with surface warble, morning sickness bump, textured+ but not blown yet, that kind of thing?