CI Twin Pin

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I just YOLOed one of these as a custom. Popped into my local shop and felt up a 6'1. Gave me a good sense of the dims I would want, so I filled out a custom form and put a deposit down. Went 6'3, 20, 2 11/16 at 36.5 liters. Considered going either shorter or narrower, but I wanted to keep the volume up while keeping the rails knifey. I'm 6'3, 190+ and wearing 4/3 hood and boots. I got this as a barrel board for head to overhead waves, but expect it will go in some mushier but overhead outerbar surf and big point surf.

It has a semi flat deck but the rails are quite refined. Rails like a Ghost.. 6/4 +4 glassing with a layer of S on the deck. We shall see.

Last edited:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I just YOLOed one of these as a custom. Popped into my local shop and felt up a 6'1. Gave me a good sense of the dims I would want, so I filled out a custom form and put a deposit down. Went 6'3, 20, 2 11/16 at 36.5 liters. Considered going either shorter or narrower, but I wanted to keep the volume up while keeping the rails knifey. I'm 6'3, 190+ and wearing 4/3 hood and boots. I got this as a barrel board for head to overhead waves, but expect it will go in some mushier but overhead outerbar surf and big point surf.

It has a semi flat deck but the rails are quite refined. Rails like a Ghost.. 6/4 +4 glassing with a layer of S on the deck. We shall see.
I'm considering getting a twin pin in step up size as well. I'm curious about the glassing. Generally I've thought that if you want some more strength you should do 6/4 deck and 4 underneath. However, my friend suggested 4/4 on deck and 6 underneath. He reasons that boards usually snap from the bottom, so you should have that extra strength down below to stop the snap. The pressure dents on deck aren't so bad.

Is there any truth to this? If your concern is stopping snappage, and not so much reduction of pressure dents, ought you put that 6oz on the bottom? Really curious.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I'm considering getting a twin pin in step up size as well. I'm curious about the glassing. Generally I've thought that if you want some more strength you should do 6/4 deck and 4 underneath. However, my friend suggested 4/4 on deck and 6 underneath. He reasons that boards usually snap from the bottom, so you should have that extra strength down below to stop the snap. The pressure dents on deck aren't so bad.

Is there any truth to this? If your concern is stopping snappage, and not so much reduction of pressure dents, ought you put that 6oz on the bottom? Really curious.
My step up is glassed 4+4/6, I had the same idea. Not sure how to validate that thought though. I am also much more bothered by pressure dings on the bottom. Pretty sure they ruin a board's hydrodynamics :roflmao:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
My step up is glassed 4+4/6, I had the same idea. Not sure how to validate that thought though. I am also much more bothered by pressure dings on the bottom. Pretty sure they ruin a board's hydrodynamics :roflmao:
Haha maybe... I met someone like you before. He wanted to buy a Ghost I was selling, but it had a pressure dent the size of a third of a piece of chalk in the bottom, and he said no go. Turned down a good deal just based on that.

So one thought I had about how to validate this theory is to look at the DHD Sweet Spot 2/3, which is one of the only mass produced boards (that I'm aware of) that comes glassed heavier than usual. However Mr. DHD glasses his boards, I'm guessing that's the best for strength.

Unfortunately, the website seems a bit unclear. It reads,

Glassing — 6 x 4x4 *Glassed Strong

I *think* that the extra space by the 6 means that it's the bottom, and the 4x4 close together means that's the top. But I'm not positive.

At any rate, it would be cool to hear from any experienced shapers who might have more feedback on this.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I would be more concerned wtth the CI Twin pin which glass shop they use. I think they use a vareity and some are better than others. I had one a Semi Pro 12 about 10 years ago that would ding if you breathed on it but I forget which glassing house it was. Just bought a Twin Pin, first CI board since that fateful Semi Pro, and I dinged it installing the fins (font edge of the big Britt Merrick twins dug into the area in front of box when trying to wiggle them in. Ended up having to sand the fin to get it to fit). Glassing isn't their strong point.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I would be more concerned wtth the CI Twin pin which glass shop they use. I think they use a vareity and some are better than others. I had one a Semi Pro 12 about 10 years ago that would ding if you breathed on it but I forget which glassing house it was. Just bought a Twin Pin, first CI board since that fateful Semi Pro, and I dinged it installing the fins (font edge of the big Britt Merrick twins dug into the area in front of box when trying to wiggle them in. Ended up having to sand the fin to get it to fit). Glassing isn't their strong point.
The Lab or in house (GPS coordinates).

Otherwise hard pass.

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I think the bad Semi Pro was glassed at Mystery Glassing if I remember. Avoid.
I avoid that model regardless of glassing. I had some good times on it, with that single concave it's fast, but it didn't seem to hold in on steep waves too well. For a board that bills itself as a step up, I didn't feel like it lived up to the marketing material.

Could be a fun shortboard on lighter waves though.

If I was getting an American board there's no way I would get anything other than Varial or XTR. Apart from just really loving the feeling of PU, I can't imagine what the advantage of a regular board is vs alt tech. The price isn't even that much different?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I avoid that model regardless of glassing. I had some good times on it, with that single concave it's fast, but it didn't seem to hold in on steep waves too well. For a board that bills itself as a step up, I didn't feel like it lived up to the marketing material.

Could be a fun shortboard on lighter waves though.
User error or wrong fins. I had one and ran G-AM for thruster and K2.1 for quad.

The quad setup held like it was on rails.

My current “normal” step up is a SP12.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have my step ups glassed 4x4+4x4. Im not super heavy footed and deck dents dont especially bother me but I dont love bottom dents and that extra layer of glass seems to really help in that regard. Probably doesnt hurt the fin box strength either. I have also gone same schedule on eps small wave boards with good results. I dont think id ever go triple 4oz on eps again, just too light.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Haha maybe... I met someone like you before. He wanted to buy a Ghost I was selling, but it had a pressure dent the size of a third of a piece of chalk in the bottom, and he said no go. Turned down a good deal just based on that.

So one thought I had about how to validate this theory is to look at the DHD Sweet Spot 2/3, which is one of the only mass produced boards (that I'm aware of) that comes glassed heavier than usual. However Mr. DHD glasses his boards, I'm guessing that's the best for strength.

Unfortunately, the website seems a bit unclear. It reads,

Glassing — 6 x 4x4 *Glassed Strong

I *think* that the extra space by the 6 means that it's the bottom, and the 4x4 close together means that's the top. But I'm not positive.

At any rate, it would be cool to hear from any experienced shapers who might have more feedback on this.
6/4 6 S glass pu/epoxy:shaka:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Picked mine up today. VERY clean glass job. No sandthroughs or bubbles. They also put a volan butterfly patch on the bottom over the fins. 6+4/4 with a layer of S on the deck. Feels solid but not heavy. Yet to surf it, but feels great under arm. Stocked on my first CI custom. Hope to test it this fall.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Picked mine up today. VERY clean glass job. No sandthroughs or bubbles. They also put a volan butterfly patch on the bottom over the fins. 6+4/4 with a layer of S on the deck. Feels solid but not heavy. Yet to surf it, but feels great under arm. Stocked on my first CI custom. Hope to test it this fall.
What dims did you tweak custom? Did they agree to send it to your requested glass shop?