CI Twin Pin

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The Queen looks so fun but that lineup looks like a zoo. Stresses me out, man!
I bet a couple small insiders would make your day. I havent been there in years. I went on a small day with a light crowd and had a lot of fun. Would be nice to go back and give it a try again.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't disagree, I just think if you want to hit the lip and get vertical, surf a shortboard.

I just don't understand surfing a longer board like this like a shortboard.

If you look at Mikey February, he kills it on a shortboard, but he adjusts his style and intentions when he jumps on a mid or his twin.

Dane doesn't really. Not saying he's a bad surfer or claiming I'm better than him, just saying why bother with a mid if you surf it like that. Same with Dane Reynolds on longer "alt" boards. He's one of my favorite surfers ever but he looks like sh!t on longer boards because he refuses to adjust his style one iota. You gotta kinda love that about him but his electric koolaid acid test looked like a bad trip.

That board has barely any entry rocker and Dane is getting that board almost vertical in the lip! I think it would be hard to surf a board that size like that... especially with little to no nose rocker.

I think he's surfing that board very well, and with style too.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I don't disagree, I just think if you want to hit the lip and get vertical, surf a shortboard.

If you look at Mikey February, he kills it on a shortboard, but he adjusts his style and intentions when he jumps on a mid or his twin.

Dane doesn't really. Not saying he's a bad surfer or claiming I'm better than him, just saying why bother with a mid if you surf it like that. Same with Dane Reynolds on longer "alt" boards. He's one of my favorite surfers ever but he looks like sh!t on longer boards because he refuses to adjust his style one iota. You gotta kinda love that about him but his electric koolaid acid test looked like a bad trip.
In my mind, I think the idea is to push the board to its limits and see what it does. Im sure Dane cruises it because I think thats his natural style. But this video is probably just him getting crazy with it! I personally think its interesting to see what he can do on it.

Reactions: surfwhere

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC

it's like the guys with the performance longboards surfing them aggressively like shortboards...I don't get that...but to each his own I guess

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Wait, are you talking about Dane G or Dane R? Because the video posted here of Dane G doesn't look to me like he's trying to surf it like a shortboard. He never tries to go vert and is just doing longer drawn out turns. :shrug: Dane R, in the Electric Acid test, rode a funboard... like sh!t...

Do you really adjust your style because of the "genre" of board you ride? Or just push to the board according to its limitations? If a mid length can go vertical, why not go vertical? Just because it's a mid length? The other day we had ten foot faces and I was on a 9-3, but I wasn't longboarding. I was rollercoastering as hard as I could because the wave was tailor made for it and the board was capable. I saw a few other guys on the same waves going for the nose and cruising a straight line...not my thing.

Then there was one long hair hipster guy on a twin fin glider. Had to be a 10 footer. He would do this slouchy body english thing that made it look like he was turning, but he was barely deviating from a straight line. Made me chuckle...

Last edited:
Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz