CI Twin Pin

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't think it's much different than a normal thruster in the conditions that it wants. I'm just not riding normal thrusters anymore either. I suspect it's probably better than a normal thruster as it's lower rocker and a bit wider in the nose. I just don't find myself riding it much.

Picked up a more eggy 6'4 channel bottom twin that works well both for travel and home and have been riding that on bigger days. The Twin Pin is reallly a performance board more than an alt shape. Think it would be an easy transition for thruster rider who is wanting something a little different but unwilling to give up performance or have to adjust their surfing too much.

You said you weren't too keen on your Twin Pin in local bump; does it really want buttery-glass more than a normal thruster?

Or is it so pressure-dented you are getting more distance and greens in regulation in the air?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I wasn’t going to do it….but I know you whores will understand. Stock 5”11.

Secondhand for a low effort all twin short trip to the Bukit in a couple of weeks.

How are you feeling about the volume in these things?

This is 2-3 litres over what I would normally ride but I’ve beefed up a bit…how are yours holding if you’ve gone a bit bigger than the trend?

image.jpg

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't have a normal shortboard anymore but used to ride them like 28 liters and bought a stock 5'11 Twin Pin which was like 32 liters.

Volume was fine. Paddles well, worked great at perfect head high mexican point breaks. Less good at home. But would absolutely take on a trip to quality waves. I wouldn't be afraid of volume. It's mostly under chest the rails and tail are relatively foiled. It's a flat bottom board with vee in the tail, which for some reason people say to ride with more volume than a standard concave shortboard. Not sure of the logic but seemed to work.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Thanks For the volume feedback, I feel a bit better now, she’s similar in rail feel to my favourite thruster. Most likely will suck in the backwash riddled crap here, but I have high hopes for Bali.
When I close my eyes I can see m self highlining 6’ impossibles, back arched, wind whistling through my ear hairs, salt water stinging my freshly aquired case of gonorrhoea……

Finally finished my Webber 3tab to Futures conversion.

image.jpgFinally

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I got a couple of waves on mine at 4' Impossibles.

Haven't surfed for a while, so pretty shaky overall but first impressions are really good. Very fast and easy to turn...kind of has that "automatic" thruster feel without the drag.

Really good A---->B paddler. Vee bottoms always feel good to me if the waves are good.....

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I hope we can all recover from the disgusting spectacle that I posted earlier in the thread. Maybe it's bad, but pretty sure none of you have recently stared at a 45kg French chick's immaculate croque monsieur as she burns you without the slightest intent of a bottom turn. I'm hurt, im aroused. I just don't know where to turn. Just be gentle.

This board does indeed fvck.

I've fed it some 3-4 reef runners and a bit up the line low tide Ulus.

Wasn't keen on the rail line to wave ratio at ulus and took every wave that could change my mind on the head...but the bottom end of Impossibles...holy fvck.

I tried some medium keels about the same area as the BMT's just to say I had but it sucked. I don't really like keels mostly, but had to find out.

The BMT's might be ever so slightly small for me but once I relaxed and started to follow the board a bit instead of forcing it I was stoked. It is suuuupwr fast and you can commit to a turn at any speed, it just burrows in. Some of the swoops had real G-force. My knees are bitching now.

I should burn it now, because it will be nothing but misery at home.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
You made me laugh. But you usually do :)

Edit: and how good can Impossibles be on a fast board!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Clamsmasher