• Mostly yes

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
great assessment.
"They can just feel really good to surf" .... spot on ..... maybe one of the good things that can come from everything that has impacted surfing this year (lockdowns, no contests, etc) is people getting back to just having fun, appreciating being in the water and the art/act of surfing and not worrying about whether your board or surfing meets some high level performance criteria.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Excellent question brohan. In all honestly, I'd say they're pretty similar in that you generally ride them in similar ways and they have the same upside/downside. I guess when I think about it there are some nuanced differences.

I'd probably give the SS&B the edge in down the line speed and wave catching ability. That gives the SS&B a decent edge in grovel conditions. It's got a bit more hold on the rail with all that fin over there. Because of that, I'd say you can surf it more aggressively down the line and higher up on the face. Also, no need to nurse it off the bottom when those fins are engaged. When it comes to bigger surf, I'd say the board is much better in a down the line pointbreak (think Steamer Lane) type scenario.

I'd give the CI Mid the edge in predictability and ease of surf. It definitely does full roundhouse cutbacks better. The SS&B hates going all the way around and gets stuck once you reach your backside. Speaking of backside, I find the CI Mid easier to surf on my backside than the SS&B which has a tendency to get really locked in, but results may differ when you're not surfing a beach break like OB. While I feel like you do need to nurse it off the bottom a bit (could be a fin placement issue) in OH surf, I'd still probably opt for the Mid in OH OB.

Hope that helps. The differences are pretty nuanced. In all honestly, I really like both of these boards and if you're trying to decide between the two I'd say you a tough decision ahead of you.
Thank you! I bought a 6' 8" SS&B earlier this summer, and it is a solid board but didn't really appreciate it until recently. Over the summer/early fall I focused most of my attention on figuring out my shortboard - board, size, length, volume, fin set-up, etc. During the summer and early fall, the waves were broke closer to shore and punchier, and great for a shortboard. As soon as I figured the shortboard - go figure - haha, the winter waves started arriving and they changed sand bars, the waves are still a good size, but they a bit softer. Getting into the wave that tad bit earlier was night and day as far quality surf on the wave face.

How I got back on the SS&B, was by accident, I was actually considering selling the board at one point. We have an offshore reef break that doesn't get going until the waves 6 plus feet, and its a softer break. The ones scoring the best waves were are on longer boards. Long story, but I ended getting a single-fin 6' 10" CC Huntsman. Man, have I really grown to enjoy this board. I love the challenge of the board, it has wide range. I prefer the CC Huntsman over the SS&B for how the board surfs, but the SS&B definitely is way more high performance. Going form the CC Huntsman to the SS&B, unlocks all of the potential of the SS&B. With that said, to go have quality surf session and big smile, I grab the CC Huntsman.

I do notice the length of these boards but appreciate their characteristics so they have their place in the quiver. I had a good conversation with Matt at Album about a cheater, more playful board, and he is now building a modified 6' 0" Social with round tail, 4+1 fin set-up to provide lots of versatility in approach.

For those that are wondering, I am buying these boards to optimize beach breaks well away from crowds. The breaks are not as long, tend to close out, so getting in earlier is fundamental requirement to make the most of it. I realize that I am extremely lucky to have these types of uncrowded breaks. I have much, much better, amazing breaks near me, but IMO its not worth it with the crowds.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
And it won't do anything better.
I'd like to make a small correction. I believe the above is true, but only for a certain "demographic" if you will. For a skilled surfer, it won't do anything better. It may be very enjoyable, it may feel good and for those open to it, it may provide some smooth stylish surfing, but IMHO, everything it does could be done better by something else. For many anyway. For an intermediate or worse surfer, it will do some things better. Or a previously skilled surfer who is aging towards the inevitable. (moment of silence here, and you have no idea how much this hurts on a personal level)

But at the end of the day, as I have noted before, surfboards are toys. If something makes you want to get in the water and play, it's a win. Go for it. I do think it's interesting how the popularity of the midsize coincided with the decline of pro surfing.

On a personal note, ScottA, if you are lurking, maybe open up the tint colors a little? The three color choices, over and over and over and over... :eek:

Last edited:

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Got bad news for you brah. They are reselling them for almost retail and you will have to Hassle removing the go pro mount and tail pad that is 2feet up from the tail

just wait til the 25th of the month they’ll get desperate.
I'd like to make a small correction. I believe the above is true, but only for a certain "demographic" if you will. For a skilled surfer, it won't do anything better. It may be very enjoyable, it may feel good and for those open to it, it may provide some smooth stylish surfing, but IMHO, everything it does could be done better by something else. For many anyway. For an intermediate or worse surfer, it will do some things better. Or a previously skilled surfer who is aging towards the inevitable. (moment of silence here, and you have no idea how much this hurts on a personal level)

But at the end of the day, as I have noted before, surfboards are toys. If something makes you want to get in the water and play, it's a win. Go for it. I do think it's interesting how the popularity of the midsize coincided with the decline of pro surfing.

On a personal note, ScottA, if you are lurking, maybe open up the tint colors a little? The three color choices, over and over and over and over... :eek:

they make this one now. perfect for you GWS as it will match your couch! that's kinda what u were asking scott ando to do right, you know, make a tint to pull all your living room furniture together.

1606843294010.png

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: GWS_2 and Woke AF

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Making drawn out bottom turns or cutbacks on a ML - reminds me of making turns on a snowboard. i think a good analogy would be riding a shortboard is akin to hitting the half-pipe or terrain park ... while a ML is more like making carving turns on a mountain powder run. Not so much a question of which is better but what your ride preference is for that particular day. For the aging surfer (which includes all of us and i am well into that category) i think the sooner you come to terms with the fact that you are not going to surf as well or like you did when you were twenty something and embrace the skills, ability you currently have - the more you will enjoy and appreciate being in the water.

Reactions: Ricknj and GWS_2

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Thank you! I bought a 6' 8" SS&B earlier this summer, and it is a solid board but didn't really appreciate it until recently. Over the summer/early fall I focused most of my attention on figuring out my shortboard - board, size, length, volume, fin set-up, etc. During the summer and early fall, the waves were broke closer to shore and punchier, and great for a shortboard. As soon as I figured the shortboard - go figure - haha, the winter waves started arriving and they changed sand bars, the waves are still a good size, but they a bit softer. Getting into the wave that tad bit earlier was night and day as far quality surf on the wave face.

How I got back on the SS&B, was by accident, I was actually considering selling the board at one point. We have an offshore reef break that doesn't get going until the waves 6 plus feet, and its a softer break. The ones scoring the best waves were are on longer boards. Long story, but I ended getting a single-fin 6' 10" CC Huntsman. Man, have I really grown to enjoy this board. I love the challenge of the board, it has wide range. I prefer the CC Huntsman over the SS&B for how the board surfs, but the SS&B definitely is way more high performance. Going form the CC Huntsman to the SS&B, unlocks all of the potential of the SS&B. With that said, to go have quality surf session and big smile, I grab the CC Huntsman.

I do notice the length of these boards but appreciate their characteristics so they have their place in the quiver. I had a good conversation with Matt at Album about a cheater, more playful board, and he is now building a modified 6' 0" Social with round tail, 4+1 fin set-up to provide lots of versatility in approach.

For those that are wondering, I am buying these boards to optimize beach breaks well away from crowds. The breaks are not as long, tend to close out, so getting in earlier is fundamental requirement to make the most of it. I realize that I am extremely lucky to have these types of uncrowded breaks. I have much, much better, amazing breaks near me, but IMO its not worth it with the crowds.
I'm running into the same thing at my winter breaks. With longer period WNW swell around here the beach breaks tend to get closed out, so the winter reefs - which can be softer, but hold larger swell better - are the way to go.

Everyone out there is on a longer board so it gets frustrating on my sub-5'10 quiver, even on a fish. That's why I'm considering adding a midlength - for glide, momentum, and staying competitive in the lineup.

The Huntsman is on the short list, but CCs can be so prohibitively expensive. Others I'm looking at are the Bing Alpha Pin or Bing Omega. I rode a borrowed 7' Bing Omega at a point break in Punta Mita recently and had a blast on it. Just don't have much experience on single fins otherwise.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I'm running into the same thing at my winter breaks. With longer period WNW swell around here the beach breaks tend to get closed out, so the winter reefs - which can be softer, but hold larger swell better - are the way to go.

Everyone out there is on a longer board so it gets frustrating on my sub-5'10 quiver, even on a fish. That's why I'm considering adding a midlength - for glide, momentum, and staying competitive in the lineup.

The Huntsman is on the short list, but CCs can be so prohibitively expensive. Others I'm looking at are the Bing Alpha Pin or Bing Omega. I rode a borrowed 7' Bing Omega at a point break in Punta Mita recently and had a blast on it. Just don't have much experience on single fins otherwise.

Consider Mitsven, his prices are pretty reasonable and they're great boards.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
the whole mid length thing is funny. i've had some variant in my quiver for almost 3 decades. recall one of the best ones was a mid 90's 7'2 stubb vector copy that i had my shaper make me. thin rails, thruster glass ons. magic. funny, during one session i took a 5'9 and a 7'2 and the waves were smaller and punchy and i couldn't get off the 5'9 it was so fkng fun. theres a reason why ppl ride shortboars and there was a shortboar revolution.there is a time and place for a ml ,bigger rolly faces, but the shorter boars are always that much more fun and dynamic.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

For performance, the SS&B has more. The Huntsman still performs very well, just different. You have a bit more control with the SS&B, whereas with the Huntsman if you try to make it do things its not meant to do, it ejects you :)! You can get away that more with the SS&B. The SS&B is faster, but it can be too fast at times, where the Huntsman is a tad slower and therefore stays closer to the pocket. You can work the rails easier with the SS&B, but you don't need to do this much, but on occasion you and when you do it just takes off.

For the Huntsman, I can't help but laugh, now and then you are trim across the wave that without a worry in the world, and then wave starts crumbling, and whitewater grabs that single fin and the next you know you are falling into the ocean... like a rug pulled out from under you.

I am guessing the Huntsman has a few more liters in volume, but the SS&B paddles a bit better. You paddle the SS&B more like a shortboard, where you are a bit farther forward on the Huntsman.

As mentioned FW LFT is not the most robust, lots of little pressure dings here and there, which I don't have on my other boards.

Reason for getting the Huntsman versus others - availability, which came at price. I am very impatient and value my time off.

Reactions: Bman76

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
just wait til the 25th of the month they’ll get desperate.

they make this one now. perfect for you GWS as it will match your couch! that's kinda what u were asking scott ando to do right, you know, make a tint to pull all your living room furniture together.

View attachment 101663
Dude. That's the new Caitlyn Jenner model you homophobic piece of sh!t.

:monkey: