Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Mostly yes

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Impulse purchase from Varial coming in hotttt. Should I get the matching fins from CI?

Kind of on a weird mid-length kick this year. Liking them for those small weekend sessions when I still want to get in the water but can't justify riding a shortboard bc it's too damn crowded.

They're also good for those funky sessions when you want to get out but riding a shortboard just might not be that much fun.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Your not alone with the mid length trip to say the least, haha. I joined for same reasons as you but what surprised me is with all that rail etc you get speed planing quickly and laying down all the rail feels pure like you actually opening up on a better wave.
You should get the CI fins or you may be left wondering.
BTW Matt over at Album told me Varial is his favorite and recommended foam for midlength. Your Mid is gonna be badass!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Your not alone with the mid length trip to say the least, haha. I joined for same reasons as you but what surprised me is with all that rail etc you get speed planing quickly and laying down all the rail feels pure like you actually opening up on a better wave.
You should get the CI fins or you may be left wondering.
BTW Matt over at Album told me Varial is his favorite and recommended foam for midlength. Your Mid is gonna be badass!
Yeah, I thought that might be a nice combination. Hoping it feels pretty light and snappy for its size/length.

For your approval...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My older brother just got one of these. PU with seafoam green tint. Will have to try it out next time he comes down. Not sure what size he got. 7'6" maybe? I told his fat ass to get the biggest one they had in stock.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Be careful. They are addictive.

I got a copy of a Howard Mini (very similar to CI Mid) a few years ago to basically supplement/replace my longboard on small days because I was tired of schlepping it to the beach. At some point I took it out, accidentally probably, on a little bigger day and realized that it's actually more suited to chest high days than waist high days. The smooth take offs and big full rail tuns just feel so good. Then I started riding more during the winter because I liked the additional float when I'm in a 5 mil/boots/glove/hood.

Eventually it became my default board and the only time I really don't ride it is when it's heavy enough to pull out my Ghost. I've effecively got a 2 board quiver- midlength and Ghost. On a rare day when it's smaller and kinda throwing I might take out a shortboard but I can count on one hand the number of times I've done that in last year.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
7’2 and 6’8 Vaquero here.

I think the 6’8 is too short, although I rode in some shoulder high point surf and it was pretty damn fun.

next one will either be a 6’10 edge board Vaquero or a 7’0 CI Mid.

First time on a mid length type board about a year ago. Fun.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
CI mid is lame because of the insane marketing campaign surrounding it but you are gonna be pumped.

midlengths to me are great beach boards -- paddle well and work in the wide variety of wave conditions you might get in one session. my 7'4" 2 + 1 is rad in the conditions you described thru to mushy outer bar with size. only time i don't like it is if it's actually pumping

Reactions: chilly1

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
theyre fun until u jump on a shorter boar when its clean and peaky. the ability to do tight shreds on a shorter rail is just as addicting as the longer rail if not more. that being said the fkng crowds ruined shortboarding
the entire reason for me ever looking into a midlength is the crowds

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
love my 6'8 spegg for all the same reasons people are stating. seems like a similiar shape to the CI. its a crowd killer and makes marginal days funner - although it really comes alive in shoulder + waves.

still love my shortboard more and in general its a more satisfying session but these mids are tons of fun.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
7’2 and 6’8 Vaquero here.

I think the 6’8 is too short, although I rode in some shoulder high point surf and it was pretty damn fun.

next one will either be a 6’10 edge board Vaquero or a 7’0 CI Mid.

First time on a mid length type board about a year ago. Fun.
Would really like to try a Vaquero (or a Serena). Marc is a real gentleman.

Reactions: Woke AF

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
CI mid is lame because of the insane marketing campaign surrounding it but you are gonna be pumped.

midlengths to me are great beach boards -- paddle well and work in the wide variety of wave conditions you might get in one session. my 7'4" 2 + 1 is rad in the conditions you described thru to mushy outer bar with size. only time i don't like it is if it's actually pumping
Zing bro. CI Mid probably not core enough for kauai :)

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
It's unfortunate that mid-lengths seem to have some sort of stigma ... probably a combination of the "fun board" tag and loose definition of what people consider to be a mid-length. I think a mistake people make is to assume it is a groveler for small waves. From chest high to 2' or 3' overhead is where i think they shine. A good mid-length is a blast .. especially in good waves, its versatility makes it a great travel board as well. I think the key - at least for me ... is going a little wider and thinner with the dims - still get the glide and paddling but with thinner rails you can really drive it on bottom turns and cutbacks.