CI Mid Ride Report…

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
And you are surprised why?

It’s not a groveller, it’s not marketed as such. In fact if you listen to anything Devon Howard says about it, he says eggs are for shoulder high plus and you should ride a longboard or a mini - simmons or fish or similar below that.

The CI mid itself is a particularly un-grovelley mid length design. The cj nelson 7’0 outlier is much more suited to mush busting for example.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
To be fair I don’t think you’re the only one. It’s not big enough to have much natural trim in tiny waves but it’s too big to fit on a tiny wave face and pump around for speed like your 5’6

Take it out somewhere with a nice lined up head high face and enjoy the long swoopy lines and effortless speed you will feel.

Watch some footage of Devon Howard on it. It’s all lined up shoulder plus waves......

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
To be fair I don’t think you’re the only one. It’s not big enough to have much natural trim in tiny waves but it’s too big to fit on a tiny wave face and pump around for speed like your 5’6

Take it out somewhere with a nice lined up head high face and enjoy the long swoopy lines and effortless speed you will feel.

Watch some footage of Devon Howard on it. It’s all lined up shoulder plus waves......
Dude, I’ve seen all the footage.

I just thought it would grovel better than it does. I‘m not likely to ride in lined up head high surf. I’ll ride a short board in that stuff.

I have a 6’8 Vaquero that works way better in knee high mush.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I’m only surprised by just how much it’s not a grovler.
I just figured a 7 foot, 45 liter board would catch and ride waves better than my 5’6, 34 liter board.
But if it has a pintail, some stupid bottom contours and a bit of tail rocker it's not gonna go well in small waves.

I had a Spider Murphy mini mal 7'4" with 5" tail rocker. Surfed like I had a plastic bag wrapped around my leash.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
But if it has a pintail, some stupid bottom contours and a bit of tail rocker it's not gonna go well in small waves.
Probably should have looked at the bottom and tail rocker before buying it.

I had a Spider Murphy mini mal 7'4" with 5" tail rocker. Surfed like I had a plastic bag wrapped around my leash.
5 inches? Mid has 2 3/8

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and TeamScam

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Dude, I’ve seen all the footage.

I just thought it would grovel better than it does. I‘m not likely to ride in lined up head high surf. I’ll ride a short board in that stuff.

I have a 6’8 Vaquero that works way better in knee high mush.
The vaquero is a hull designed to harness speed in a lined up wave and go in a straight trim line. It will do that on a small or large face. The ci mid is designed to draw smooth lines on a decent sized face.

you should try it on a head High day as thats What it is designed for. You might “get” it then - or it might not be your cup of tea….

Small waves either need a lot more length ( log) or a lot less that allows you to generate speed with your body movements ( mini Simmons or similar) Eggs ( which is what the CI mid is ) need a decent face to allow for their length

To be fair, between myself and A couple of mates we have ridden a lot of “mid lengths” of all types. The CI mid is by far the most finicky about wanting shape and size. Other less heavily marketed options are available…..

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The vaquero is a hull designed to harness speed in a lined up wave and go in a straight trim line. It will do that on a small or large face. The ci mid is designed to draw smooth lines on a decent sized face.

you should try it on a head High day as thats What it is designed for. You might “get” it then - or it might not be your cup of tea….

Small waves either need a lot more length ( log) or a lot less that allows you to generate speed with your body movements ( mini Simmons or similar) Eggs ( which is what the CI mid is ) need a decent face to allow for their length

To be fair, between myself and A couple of mates we have ridden a lot of “mid lengths” of all types. The CI mid is by far the most finicky about wanting shape and size. Other less heavily marketed options are available…..
The heavily marketed Mid was obtained at a heavily discounted price.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Sounds like you now have a midlength quiver covering a span of conditions. Having personally experienced a lot of joy on my Vaquero I have found that at speed the turning capabilities are limited. I have a couple of friends who have the CI mids and it's quite apparent that they lay down tracks better at speed and your review and this thread support that. Would love to try CI M is some lined up surf but even more, and a different design, hoping my en route 7' Stu Twinzer Egg (that Stu won't label a mid, due to its performance capabilities) will bridge the gap.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
mid-lengths were hijacked by adult learners as crutch boards. very few are surfed to the best of their capabilities in “good” surf.

i say bring back the eggs! My 7’0 from the early 00’s was an excellent compliment to my lost speed demons.

CI needs to make a CI-Mid Everyday, I guess.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
mid-lengths were hijacked by adult learners as crutch boards. very few are surfed to the best of their capabilities in “good” surf.

i say bring back the eggs! My 7’0 from the early 00’s was an excellent compliment to my lost speed demons.

CI needs to make a CI-Mid Everyday, I guess.
Jeez. You just know it’s coming… along with the Mid twin version. Every model spawns 2-3 more variants nowadays