CI Fever or Pyzel Ghost

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Really only looking at these two boards specifically as they are available OTR and do a trade at my local shop, maybe have shell out $200.00

Feel like my higher performance part of my quiver is lacking, seeing either of these for bigger quality surf/quasi step up:
-both at the shop are 6' 4" stock dims = 36.6L.

Would love any feedback.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have a Fever that I don’t ride much these days, but for a HPSB it works really well for me. Mine 6’3 stock and I’m north of 200 lbs.

What do you weigh and how tall are you? The Fever starts to “top out” at around 6’3 - 6’5 for normal size humans. I’m not a fan of oversized CI stock boards.

Also, what’s you’re preferred rocker/concave?

Fever is continuous rocker (no flat spot) and single concave….

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks Duffy!

Wow I'm way smaller 5'7" ~ 150lbs dry, but in my fifties, pretty good shape for an old(er) guy and surf primarily in New England so lots of thicker rubber on, which has me gravitating towards higher volume, and I really don't mind the extra paddle float when it's bigger and currents are moving on the tropical excursions, which is coming up next month.

Single to a double concave seems to work, don't mind a lower rocker in the front, again paddle power.

The Ghost seems like the obvious choice, but every time I hold it, it just doesn't speak to me.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Ghost works great as a step up. Paddles into waves really well and gives a lot of confidence on the bigger more critical days. There is a thread floating around for it with lots of feedback...

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Ghost works great as a step up. Paddles into waves really well and gives a lot of confidence on the bigger more critical days. There is a thread floating around for it with lots of feedback...
Sweet thanks:shaka:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Between the two I think you’ll almost certainly prefer the ghost in that size.

HPSB only really work when you’re in the sweet spot. Ghost will have a bit more range in that dept.

Either way it’s super hard for me to imagine either of these boards in that size working for you but you know best.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Between the two I think you’ll almost certainly prefer the ghost in that size.

HPSB only really work when you’re in the sweet spot. Ghost will have a bit more range in that dept.

Either way it’s super hard for me to imagine either of these boards in that size working for you but you know best.
Yeah thanks for the feedback maybe lower volume Ghost would work, due to the volume favoring the front. Limited stock at the shop, they have a 6'2" 32.7L maybe that is the call.

Reactions: bluengreen

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah thanks for the feedback maybe lower volume Ghost would work, due to the volume favoring the front. Limited stock at the shop, they have a 6'2" 32.7L maybe that is the call.
It really depends on what you normally ride. For me it’s really difficult to ride boards that are too big... feet in the wrong place, too wide, Etc. But if you’re used to that then I’d say go for it. If the 6’2 already represents a good amount of volume for you and would feel like I step up then I’d definitely recommend going that direction. It should be a lot easier to control/surf.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Ghost is going to be less sensitive to sizing. You can get away with riding it oversized because of the foil, rocker and plan shape in the back half of the board. Ghost is the choice between these two options, I would say.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks Duffy!

Wow I'm way smaller 5'7" ~ 150lbs dry, but in my fifties, pretty good shape for an old(er) guy and surf primarily in New England so lots of thicker rubber on, which has me gravitating towards higher volume, and I really don't mind the extra paddle float when it's bigger and currents are moving on the tropical excursions, which is coming up next month.

Single to a double concave seems to work, don't mind a lower rocker in the front, again paddle power.

The Ghost seems like the obvious choice, but every time I hold it, it just doesn't speak to me.
Get the Ghost.

At 5’7 the 6’4 Fever simply won’t work right for you.

One foot will alway be in the wrong place.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I'm the same dims and in my late 50's @JeffRSpicoli and I have a custom 6'3" ghost at 30.5 cL.
Year round cold water up here, hooded 5/4 and booties, big tide swings, lots of moving water.
Ghost is the call. Paddles great, easy entry and it's top end I've never reached. I can go months
without riding it then take it out a solid day and it's like I rode it yesterday. Very intuitive board for
step up conditions.
Best step up board I've owned, hands down.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I'm the same dims and in my late 50's @JeffRSpicoli and I have a custom 6'3" ghost at 30.5 cL.
Year round cold water up here, hooded 5/4 and booties, big tide swings, lots of moving water.
Ghost is the call. Paddles great, easy entry and it's top end I've never reached. I can go months
without riding it then take it out a solid day and it's like I rode it yesterday. Very intuitive board for
step up conditions.
Best step up board I've owned, hands down.
Great man thanks! I'm looking forward to holding the Ghost again, likely will pull the trigger.

Yep hooded 6/5 and 5/4, 5mil mittens and 7mil booties, sux when your wetsuit quiver rivals your surfboard quiver.

:shaka:

Reactions: smithgrind
Jul 1, 2009
From a limited sample of 2 over-sized Pyzels, they really don't seem sensitive to over-sizing. I usually surf 23-24l, and I rode a Gremlin and OG Pyzalien in 34-36l range (with Large quad fins to boot) in waist to head high slopey/longboard waves and was amazed that they were both still responsive and loose off the top - well, as much as possible with the large fins inhibiting some snappiness.

Only thing was that the oversized Gremlin was really chonky in the front half (2 5/8 gremlin rail was like a 2 5/8 longboard rail) so required putting all my weight on the front foot at times when driving/gliding down the line. As long as you're good with that (front-footedness), Ghost should be good.

Other oversized HPSBs, always felt like one foot was out of place.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I only ride my Ghost a few days a year but never have any problem adjusting. It just works.

I've got a stock 6'0 and I can ride it in all my winter gear 5mil hooded full, 7mil mittens and 7 mil boots. I don't do it all that often but I can. If I was getting one dedicated for winter I'd go a tad bigger. Mostly I grab it on the best day of year during hurricane season when I'm in at most a 3/2.

They are really remarkably forgiving for a shortboard. I'm kinda over shortboards, but when you need one, you need one.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I only ride my Ghost a few days a year but never have any problem adjusting. It just works.

I've got a stock 6'0 and I can ride it in all my winter gear 5mil hooded full, 7mil mittens and 7 mil boots. I don't do it all that often but I can. If I was getting one dedicated for winter I'd go a tad bigger. Mostly I grab it on the best day of year during hurricane season when I'm in at most a 3/2.

They are really remarkably forgiving for a shortboard. I'm kinda over shortboards, but when you need one, you need one.
Good to know thanks for the feedback!

I ended up pulling the trigger on the stock 6'2" = 32.7L, this will be my lowest volume board and agree with what you are saying above, I mostly ride a higher performance groveler these days or something that has some forgiving quality built into the design, but for tropical excursions, and yes hurricane swell, where quality waves may appear have been feeling a little slim in the HPSB department.
-on my trip last year a couple of days the swell was solidly OH:, 10'+ faces 16-17 second intervals, I had a decent board for it but thinking something like the Ghost I think would allow for a little more vertical/aggressive approach.

-if there is a hint of good swell I'll take it out and see how it feels, the more I study it the thinned out tail is sweet.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Good to know thanks for the feedback!

I ended up pulling the trigger on the stock 6'2" = 32.7L, this will be my lowest volume board and agree with what you are saying above, I mostly ride a higher performance groveler these days or something that has some forgiving quality built into the design, but for tropical excursions, and yes hurricane swell, where quality waves may appear have been feeling a little slim in the HPSB department.
-on my trip last year a couple of days the swell was solidly OH:, 10'+ faces 16-17 second intervals, I had a decent board for it but thinking something like the Ghost I think would allow for a little more vertical/aggressive approach.

-if there is a hint of good swell I'll take it out and see how it feels, the more I study it the thinned out tail is sweet.
Good choice! :cheers:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I brought mine to Mexico last year along with a friends Surf Perscriptions Tor Twin which i thought would be great on the long right points. Turns out, the Tor Twin didn't really work, swell was too big and unruly and the lack of rocker made it just not fit the waves right.

Rode the Ghost every day and it worked really well.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli