CI Eco Carbon Tech video

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I felt a couple up at the local shop a month or two ago and they were bricks. I forgot to look to see if they were Team Light. They may have been early versions and were Ultra Light.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
wonder what the upcharge for the build is vs. the price tag on a Dark Arts

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I don’t see how powder would increase tensile strength as opposed to fiber. I could see, maybe, some increase in compressive strength. Maybe. There are a lot of carbon powders on the market and all boast of adding strength but I couldn’t find a single scientific study analyzing or comparing strength properties. And remember, the powder is changing the resin matrix, not the fiber. They are still using glass.

Also, I would object to the “eco” moniker for anything carbon fiber. It is has the most energy intensive manufacturing process of any surfboard material, hence the high cost. He states that they are making the powder. My guess is that they are using the off cuts, which means they are utilizing the waste and not recycling. That’s commendable but not really recycling.

I read a study about recycling carbon fiber and it is possible but extremely complex. You can imagine separating the carbon fiber from the resin matrix. Mechanical separation produces a product with far inferior mechanical properties. Chemical recycling produces an analogous product but it is a costly and highly toxic process. Then there s thermo recycling which is again energy intensive and toxic.

But again, this study is talking about carbon fibers. If someone can find me an analysis of the powders please share.

So, yeah, I’m skeptical, but would be glad to be proven wrong.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I don’t see how powder would increase tensile strength as opposed to fiber. I could see, maybe, some increase in compressive strength. Maybe. There are a lot of carbon powders on the market and all boast of adding strength but I couldn’t find a single scientific study analyzing or comparing strength properties. And remember, the powder is changing the resin matrix, not the fiber. They are still using glass.

Also, I would object to the “eco” moniker for anything carbon fiber. It is has the most energy intensive manufacturing process of any surfboard material, hence the high cost. He states that they are making the powder. My guess is that they are using the off cuts, which means they are utilizing the waste and not recycling. That’s commendable but not really recycling.

I read a study about recycling carbon fiber and it is possible but extremely complex. You can imagine separating the carbon fiber from the resin matrix. Mechanical separation produces a product with far inferior mechanical properties. Chemical recycling produces an analogous product but it is a costly and highly toxic process. Then there s thermo recycling which is again energy intensive and toxic.

But again, this study is talking about carbon fibers. If someone can find me an analysis of the powders please share.

So, yeah, I’m skeptical, but would be glad to be proven wrong.
I know in the wooden kayak world you can mix carbon fiber powder with epoxy to make a super durable coating that protects the hull from rock damage. It gets applied over the glass on a kayak. Have you ever used West System 403 Microfibers with epoxy? Even a little bit of that stuff mixed with epoxy dramatically increases its strength. I use it on all of my fin box and leash plug installs.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know in the wooden kayak world you can mix carbon fiber powder with epoxy to make a super durable coating that protects the hull from rock damage. It gets applied over the glass on a kayak. Have you ever used West System 403 Microfibers with epoxy? Even a little bit of that stuff mixed with epoxy dramatically increases its strength. I use it on all of my fin box and leash plug installs.
Even West Systems does not advertise any strength properties for that filler. You'd think if it ADDED strength that would be something they would highlight. Anecdotal info is valid but I would be interested in any scientific data.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest and sdsrfr

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Even West Systems does not advertise any strength properties for that filler. You'd think if it ADDED strength that would be something they would highlight. Anecdotal info is valid but I would be interested in any scientific data.

Perhaps you should run some scientific experiments.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I guess the carbon powder epoxy results in a more durable shell that protects the weave of the fibers?

good for reefs, etc

maybe improved puncture strength is the claim?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Pricey stuff. Some Logo overlap???

Even pricier. This site gives some #s but doesn't say what the powder was mixed with???? Or how testing was done.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I did find some strength numbers, but again they are supplied by the vendor with no info about the test. I'm always curious what what the matrix (eg- resin) being used is? Well, actually I screen shot this bit because this one does say "single filament" strength, which implies independent of the matrix. But to me pulverized is not the same as filaments.