Chuck Andrus Interview

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Heard of the guy but never knew his story, what a story, the guy is the real thing. Thanks for posting GD. No fan of religion but if it produced more people like him I would be.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’ve known Chuck for a really long time. Solid guy and surfer.

A lot of the bigger Hawaiian surfers on the Eastside ride Chucks boars. The smaller sized Mixed/Asian crew ride Tokoro’s. And Matty Raynor got the BYUH students covered. Kind of an over simplification of things but…

A few years back surfed Bowls with Chuck and a couple other Hui uncles. I had been out for a while and was waiting for a wave to go in on. The two other uncles went on the first two waves of a set. Uncharacteristically Chuck paddled too much to the channel and missed the third. A fourth nugget, the best one of the set came right to me. I yelled go Chuck and was just going to take off behind him to go in. Which was what I did. Next morning Chuck sees me in the parking lot and walks over to me and shakes hands. Tells me sorry for going on that wave. He said he waited forever blew his chance and the fourth wave was yours. Said he heard someone yell go Chuck and he didn’t look back. I told him I yelled go and just wanted to go in. Chuck said he should’ve looked behind and told me he owed me one. Later that morning he told the other Hui uncles let Troy go on this one and they did.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I’ve known Chuck for a really long time. Solid guy and surfer.

A lot of the bigger Hawaiian surfers on the Eastside ride Chucks boars. The smaller sized Mixed/Asian crew ride Tokoro’s. And Marty Raynor got the BYUH students covered. Kind of an over simplification of things but…

A few years back surfed Bowls with Chuck and a couple other Hui uncles. I had been out for a while and was waiting for a wave to go in on. The two other uncles went on the first two waves of a set. Uncharacteristically Chuck paddled too much to the channel and missed the third. A fourth nugget, the best one of the set came right to me. I yelled go Chuck and was just going to take off behind him to go in. Which was what I did. Next morning Chuck sees me in the parking lot and walks over to me and shakes hands. Tells me sorry for going on that wave. He said he waited forever blew his chance and the fourth wave was yours. Said he heard someone yell go Chuck and he didn’t look back. I told him I yelled go and just wanted to go in. Chuck said he should’ve looked behind and told me he owed me one. Later that morning he told the other Hui uncles let Troy go on this one and they did.
It's a good thing when you're a big unit and so is the shaper. They just get it.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Another old Chuck Andrus video on YouTube. At the 2:12 mark of the video you will see a drill hanging with a barrel attachment on it. When I first saw this a bell went off in my head and I had to make one for myself. Thing works so good for shaping the deck side of the nose on shortboards.......

Unfortunately something seems to be wrong with the audio of this one.