Christenson Myconaut board test

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I dig that big bread truck/van thing they have. If I had one of those I'd try to park towards the back of the parking lot so I didn't block other people's views of the ocean.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
After retiring my CC TKF down to Baja I've been kinda considering what I'd like to replace
it with. Not really interested in another trad TKF but this Myconaut looks pretty fun.
Plasmic and Banjo have piqued my interest as well :jamon:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I like the look of it, but awfully short. I would ride a 5'7 myco. My 5'8 fish already feels short to me. Kind of coming to the conclusion that I think the shortest I'm really into is a 5'10 or so.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I'm in the process of replacing my 5'6 boars that I used to love with 5'8-5'10s. I don't think I could go short enough to get the most of the design.
Agree that 5'1 that TC has looked super wide.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
what would you say are the differences between the plasmic and the banjo
My Plasmic is the EAST version. 5-9. Banjo is 5-7, EPS. Both boards have that nice early entry of a fishy type board. Instant speed. Banjo is a little flatter and has more drive overall and definitely likes to drive off the front foot whereas the Plasmic really wants to be surfed off the tail. Banjo is more suited to open face carves and Plasmic is better in the pocket. I think Banjo has a little better low end, Plasmic better upper end. Both have a pretty wide range. I think the Plasmic feels better on the backhand and is overall a little more suited to the beach breaks I often surf. Both are fun in Baja point surf but Banjo probably has the edge there for me.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What fins work best in your Plasmic and Banjo, Aruka? Is either board more fin specific?
Both boards work with a variety of fins. I even ran the banjo w/ upright twins for a bit but ultimately liked it best as a keel with AMKs or the Surf Squared keels. Plasmic I like with the NVS Album Fascination twins but I think I'm the only one. Most people run normal twins like the AMT's or NVS Album Upright's. I just like the drive an hold of a big raked fin.

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
My Plasmic is the EAST version. 5-9. Banjo is 5-7, EPS. Both boards have that nice early entry of a fishy type board. Instant speed. Banjo is a little flatter and has more drive overall and definitely likes to drive off the front foot whereas the Plasmic really wants to be surfed off the tail. Banjo is more suited to open face carves and Plasmic is better in the pocket. I think Banjo has a little better low end, Plasmic better upper end. Both have a pretty wide range. I think the Plasmic feels better on the backhand and is overall a little more suited to the beach breaks I often surf. Both are fun in Baja point surf but Banjo probably has the edge there for me.
Great info! Thank you. I've never ridden a plasmic but I'm a little surprised that the plasmic would have a higher top end than the banjo and a banjo a better low end. I would think the total opposite

Reactions: Aruka and urchined