Christenson Mescaline

Jan 29, 2015
Anyone ridden one? Nearly about to pull the trigger, just want to know a ride report as hopefully it will be a step up from a keel fish that I ride 80% of the time. Hopefully it goes well in juice as well as fat waves?
Any info would be ideal. Taa innit.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
seen one at surfride in san diego. good amount of width nose to tail with more foam than you would think based on the stated dimensions. you can see how much width is carried nose to tail in the outline:

http://www.surfride.com/getproduct.asp?p=54414&b=547

seems like a "performance" fish variant IMHO. OP would probably be stoked on the relative performance increase this board would provide as compared to a more traditional keel fish.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
$800 for PU/PE with an airbrush and no fins?

By comparison the Firewires are a bargain, and that includes the Tomo models.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Carbon strip, tail hits and 5 fin FCS2.

Not saying it's a bargain or anything but saying it's more of a ripoff than a Firewire is taking things a little too far.

Reactions: Havoc

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Let's just say I'm familiar with what it takes to build an airbrushed PU/PE surfboard vs what it takes to build an EPS/Epoxy rig with D-Cell or Paulownia deck (and also w/5 boxes); and there's no comparison in the quality of materials being used and very little comparison in the amount of technical expertise involved on the glassing side of the build.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
ifallalot said:
FWIW I think a Stretch with all the goodies is even cheaper than that
IMO a Stretch (Or a GG) in Epoxy at $900 would still be a much better value.

girvin

OTF status
Apr 10, 2010
maui
at least you know that the guys at moonlight/christiansen are paid a decent wage and are great people. I think all boards should be up there so guys could make a decent living on the glassing sanding fins side

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
kool-aid said:
Bumb. Anyone seen one in person?
Yes, he had a bunch in his showroom a few months back, as well as a few he sold for a steal @ a board swap in Cardiff some months back.

I felt them up several times and IMHO not very performance oriented, but fast as hell and pretty carvy. Of course with Tomo in the mix I could be completely wrong.

As far as prices go, no idea what sort of blank he's using or if it's anything special, but quality control is high, boards arrive on time, and they work. In the surf industry that often comes at a premium.

Just like people around the world who are willing to pay S&H to get one of Griffin's shapes - he's a shaper with a positive board building reputation who gets things done right. And for that people are willing to forgo the local burnt.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
GDaddy said:
Let's just say I'm familiar with what it takes to build an airbrushed PU/PE surfboard vs what it takes to build an EPS/Epoxy rig with D-Cell or Paulownia deck (and also w/5 boxes); and there's no comparison in the quality of materials being used and very little comparison in the amount of technical expertise involved on the glassing side of the build.
If you'd chosen Coil/Stretch/Proctor/etc. to illustrate your point I wouldn't have commented. FW are made in a country with a 10 dollar per day min. wage. The fit,finish and durability leave much to be desired in my experience. At 700-800 bucks a pop they're as overpriced as anything out there.

Reactions: Havoc

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Got one from Usedsurf, 5'6 x 19 x 2 5/16". Rocker is super flat, so the board is fast out of the gate. Rode it in some soft peaky waves, feels like a solid daily driver: good on rail and smooth of the top. DVS quad keels felt good, probably leave them in until we get some real waves. Not sure the carbon does anything but jack the price up.

Reactions: Aardwolf

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone know how to size these things?
Do you go super short like the tomos? How short?
Looking at used one. I'm in the 155 pound range.