Christenson Fish vs Machado GoFish

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I'm still swimming around in the Fish cool-aid bowl. Can anybody describe the difference between the 2 in regards "wave catch-ability", "drive", and "performance"? I'm mostly interested in something that gets in early and races down the line with ease. It's unfair to compare the 2 following videos considering that one is an x-pro, but there's not much out there for the Christenson.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
you realize of course, that you are comparing a targeted, profit driven corporate container board designed and marketed to appeal to the broadest possible swath of the surf lifestyle demographic to an overpriced boutique san diego fish. right?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
you realize of course, that you are comparing a targeted, profit driven corporate container board designed and marketed to appeal to the broadest possible swath of the surf lifestyle demographic to an overpriced boutique san diego fish. right?
for real

i have fully entered the fish/twin fin vortex and IMO the choice is do you want a retro-style fish (glass on keels, classic outline, cruisy) or a modern fish (upright twins, performance rail, rippy). almost every shaper now makes boards like this

both get in early and go fast if that is what you want. the christenson is more in the (1) bucket and the go fish the (2)

i have way more fun on rippy fishes. also loved the stamps indo fish which was less rippy

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The FW version is more thinned out, but I have a 5'9 stringered PU one from Machado that feels like it has thicker rails (used custom). I always say that pronounced edge bottom looks like a gimmick, but it seems to just work: really fast down the line. Fun, loose. I don't ride it much now but it's always a reliably good time from knee to shoulder-high. Certainly surfs more HP and maybe more predictable than a classic fish. Does all the things you're looking for. Probably doesn't catch waves as well as the CC (I haven't tried his TKF). If you're between two sizes on the FW, I'd go with the larger due to the foiled rails & tail.

Reactions: csarqui

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Oeste is like the oceanslide of mid/southern SD County.

What haven't you ridden so we can inventory for further questions lol
Easy: the latest cutting-edge HPSBs. LOL. Just not as fun for me anymore. Been trying as much of everything else I could get my hands on the last few years. Finally feel like I know what works for me after lots of trial and error: my last 4 boards have been absolute winners!

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Yes. I do realize that. The truth is that I'm not actually shopping for those models but it was the easiest way to ask the question about "design". There are a number of shapers pursuing/copying these kinds of shapes. I live in Bali and will likely have the shape made custom for me.

I was trying to skip the typing of the whole paragraph about "yes, I get it, this is a question about design, let's put he arguments aside, blah blah blah. But I guess it's best to write it up, save it off to the side, and paste into every post ;)

Reactions: urchined

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Easy: the latest cutting-edge HPSBs. LOL. Just not as fun for me anymore. Been trying as much of everything else I could get my hands on the last few years. Finally feel like I know what works for me after lots of trial and error: my last 4 boards have been absolute winners!
yeah my boards keep getting shorter and fatter. I love nothing more than good waves and a hpsb but where are those waves lol.

Reactions: PRCD and oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have a CI Skinny Fish twin and love it.

Their new fish has the fins way to far forward (thanks, Dane).

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I have a CI Skinny Fish twin and love it.

Their new fish has the fins way to far forward (thanks, Dane).
Duffy have you ridden the CI Even Keel? I just picked one up used. The fin placement looks further back than their newer fishes.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Duffy have you ridden the CI Even Keel? I just picked one up used. The fin placement looks further back than their newer fishes.
I have. That board is more along the lines of a “traditional” fish, which are fun but I prefer a traditional outline with modern rails and bottoms.

The “Skinny Fish” is the Even Keel with a more performance oriented setup. The original SF had a quad setup (had one of those years ago).

The twin I got was a bit of a fluke. Walked into the shop one day and they had a 5’4, 5’6 and 5’8 otr.

Grabbed the 5’8 and was able to finagle a set of CI Keels that weren’t really on the market yet.

The board has that far back fin placement.

I’ve ridden it with TA Hobie keels (absurd amounts of drive/hold/speed), the CI keels (good all around fin), Lovelace Piggyykeels (horrible (for me)) and Futures EN twins which are very fun.

Crowded point break I use the Hobies and **** everyone off.

I tried the new “Fish” with the forward fin placement and CI keels and it wasn’t as good as mine. I think the Hobie keels on the new fish would actually work pretty good.

Reactions: tedshred5

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I have. That board is more along the lines of a “traditional” fish, which are fun but I prefer a traditional outline with modern rails and bottoms.

The “Skinny Fish” is the Even Keel with a more performance oriented setup. The original SF had a quad setup (had one of those years ago).

The twin I got was a bit of a fluke. Walked into the shop one day and they had a 5’4, 5’6 and 5’8 otr.

Grabbed the 5’8 and was able to finagle a set of CI Keels that weren’t really on the market yet.

The board has that far back fin placement.

I’ve ridden it with TA Hobie keels (absurd amounts of drive/hold/speed), the CI keels (good all around fin), Lovelace Piggyykeels (horrible (for me)) and Futures EN twins which are very fun.

Crowded point break I use the Hobies and **** everyone off.

I tried the new “Fish” with the forward fin placement and CI keels and it wasn’t as good as mine. I think the Hobie keels on the new fish would actually work pretty good.
Lovelace piggyback keels havent worked for me either. Tried in a MR type twin and a fish.