Chinese nuke plant leak

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The Taishan reactor is the first French-designed so-called third generation "Evolutionary Power Reactor" (EPR) of its type.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
reminds me of the japan earthquake where they said alll the nuclear material would invade californias coastline and ruin all sea life, and surfing within a year

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
reminds me of the japan earthquake where they said alll the nuclear material would invade californias coastline and ruin all sea life, and surfing within a year
havoc actual genius!

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
while in OZ when TMI popped the Aussies were like...."Stay here Mate if your
bloody country blew up" and they meant it.

They are a friendly bunch those Ockers.
:cheers:

Reactions: PJ

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The Japanese reactors were like Gen II from the 1970s. In this case, the ChiComs managed to screw-up gen IV reactors that are supposed to be inherently safe. I bet they were trying to reverse-engineer it like all the stuff we make or like Russian SAMs, except the stakes are much higher like when they do viral research.

We're seeing now that the technological level of a civilization can never exceed the honesty of its culture and bureaucrats.

Reactions: Aruka and npsp

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
This is what happens when you try to hack and extort money from Merica's power grid. We invented Stuxnet.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Need a boogeyman to keep you distracted so ya don't notice how they're grifting ya

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
no news is prolly bad news.

:censored:

Probably paywalled, but 20 minute old news here (click me).

1623869005601.png

June 16, 2021Updated 2:24 p.m. ET
SHANGHAI — The Chinese government said on Wednesday that “about five” of the uranium fuel rods inside a nuclear power plant in southeastern China had been damaged, but added that no radiation had leaked out of reactors at the site.

Regulators have also reviewed and approved limits on how much radioactive gas is allowed to accumulate in the water at the reactor, China’s National Nuclear Safety Administration said in a statement. Nuclear scientists in the United States and Europe said in interviews this week that a buildup of radioactive gas in the water surrounding the fuel rods, while not uncommon at reactors elsewhere, was often a sign of poor design, manufacturing or management.

The Taishan Nuclear Power Plant is on the coast about 80 miles southwest of Hong Kong. The power plant’s Reactor 1, which has encountered difficulties in recent days, has more than 60,000 fuel rods.

The reactor is designed to operate safely despite damage to up to 0.25 percent of the fuel rods, the safety agency said. That would be at least 150 fuel rods.

Of more concern (?) would be these breeder reactors.

And for fusion fans, there is this one. If it works, maybe the god denying Commies will share the design with the rest of us?

PS.

On the original topic, no paywall here (click me).

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
“Nuclear scientists in the United States and Europe said in interviews this week that a buildup of radioactive gas in the water surrounding the fuel rods, while not uncommon at reactors elsewhere, was often a sign of poor design, manufacturing or management.”

Brilliant deduction. I could have told them that for nothin’.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
But you didn't.

You could have prevented this but you didn't.

The PRC thanks you for your help.

:dancing:
I’m not a graduate Nuclear Scientist in the US or Europe but that is the coverall for any problem. The result will be clarification of operating procedures and retraining of personnel.

Or nuclear war and destruction of America and all it stands for.

Reactions: Autoprax