Charities

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I always do San Diego Rescue Mission and Meals on Wheels on Easter/Thxgiving/Xmas- I think the Food Bank is in the queue this year too.
St. Jude and Rady Hospital 3 times/year.

Some of those are my picks (Rady, St. Jude), the others I’m carrying on where my late Mom left off a few years ago.

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Local hospice agency. They helped my mom (and myself) thru the shittiest part of human life. The doctors, nurses and caregivers that just come to visit and talk with people in the end stages of life can be described as nothing less than saints.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Docs without borders gets a healthy PayPal from me on behalf of my clients just before xmas.

cant even begin to count the little ones that add up- I will contribute to literally everyone's fundraisers, whether it's $50 for an illness, or an $800 winning bid for a week in a seaside cottage in County Clare...That was for sag harbor whalers museum, because nautical history is awesome. there was no Ireland trip up for bid at this years holiday party, but i did win lunch for 4 at The American Hotel, a gift certificate (for my wife) from a talented local fashion designer. And my wife won a bowl. A bowl for what? I haven't a clue

Southampton Hospital Breast Cancer Center- took amazing care of my wife all those years ago now, been donating to them every year ever since.

University of Wisconsin cancer center- started simply enough supporting a colleague who raised money for them every year he runs the NY Marathon (20+ in a row and counting). Now they seem to get a decent amount of money from me every year.

There are so many that get like, $100 a year. MSF is definitely the largest recipient

Reactions: One-Off

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
My wife and another friend adopt a family every year through Girls Inc. here in Carp.
This year it was a mom and her 2 pre-teens.
It's anonymous. The family submits a wish list and wifey and friend go out and fulfill the wishes (within reason).
Most of the list is things for the kids, clothing, shoes, jackets, etc. Not many toys. They also include some goodies like home made candy and cookies.
We got a $100 gift card to Smart & Final for the parent.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is a Vetrans thrift store in Oceanside.

I give them all my stuff I should sell on eBay but I hate dealing with people.

I always tell them, "these [whatever I am donating] are really good!"

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i've been sponsoring kids through world vision for the past 20 years

$39/month gets the basics covered for 1 kid

that seems like a really effective use of money to me

also, we get pictures and letters from the kids that we sponsor so its cool to see the individuals that benefit as opposed to just dumping money into some vast impersonal system

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Your local Habitat for Humanity chapter. You can donate time or money, and it will benefit someone in your local area. Plus, they help people learn valuable skills.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
It's the giving season. Do any of you give to charities or non profits? Which one and why?
I've worked on the board of this org for nearly a decade.
One of CNN's Hero orgs of the year for 2018.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My mom's family was the recipient of Catholic Charities' charity for a few dark years there during the late '30s, so I always give to them.

Reactions: Subway and Truth

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
i've been sponsoring kids through world vision for the past 20 years

$39/month gets the basics covered for 1 kid

that seems like a really effective use of money to me

also, we get pictures and letters from the kids that we sponsor so its cool to see the individuals that benefit as opposed to just dumping money into some vast impersonal system

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Catarina's club pastathon and the cancer foundation of Santa Barbara every year, sometimes the SB Foodbank.
Cherry pick gofundme'es throughout the year.