Charities

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I should look at my go fund me and Facebook donation history. I may need my accountant to add a few bucks.maybe not. I give a lot but he also declares what he says is really the max a person like me would be expected to give, and not get audited. So, whatever that number he uses is probably pretty high

because they do add up. I may do 3-400 a week sometimes in those little fundraisers. But other weeks $50.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
I should look at my go fund me and Facebook donation history. I may need my accountant to add a few bucks.maybe not. I give a lot but he also declares what he says is really the max a person like me would be expected to give, and not get audited. So, whatever that number he uses is probably pretty high

because they do add up. I may do 3-400 a week sometimes in those little fundraisers. But other weeks $50.
I give 100$ to various GoFundMe situations here and there. Seems a lot of the big foundations blow a lot of it in admistrative costs. There is some website that rates organizations on their efficacy and what finally gets to those in need. Many are ridiculously inefficient though. That's why I've gone with GoFundMe situations I have some familiarity with.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I give 100$ to various GoFundMe situations here and there. Seems a lot of the big foundations blow a lot of it in admistrative costs. There is some website that rates organizations on their efficacy and what finally gets to those in need. Many are ridiculously inefficient though. That's why I've gone with GoFundMe situations I have some familiarity with.
I agree I put more cash into go fund me type causes and have moved away from most “big charity” donations except MSF. From what I understand their dollar deployment ratio is very high; and you certainly can’t really politicize or argue about their work. They simply go into hell holes and do their best to fix people who would otherwise never see medical attention let alone the caliber of docs and surgeons who go on missions every year.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Ride A Wave Foundation.
RAW Website
We take kids with disabilities out surfing, kayaking, and boogie boarding, and put on a fun beach day. Many of the kids have never even been to the beach before, let alone get in the water, many times because their disability prevents them in a "normal" circumstance.

Been volunteering (and donating) for them for 20+ years. Also how I met my wife.

• Love
Reactions: crustBrother