Channels

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
For everyone who says they have to have perfect waves :

I was trying to wait until we had some nice head high+ clean waves to try the channel bottom but haven't been able to line up those conditions due to working a lot of overtime this past month, so my curiosity got the best of me and I have surfed it 4 times in funky sideshore windy conditions, waist high to a little overhead. Glad I did, the board works in everything (just like all your other models). This is my first channel bottom board and heard they have lots of drive but did not expect it to be so pronounced! Caught a couple of solid, chunky waves yesterday and I swear I thought I could feel the water flowing through the channels even with a traction pad on the deck and 7mil boots. Almost felt too fast until I found my footing after the first couple waves. Got tossed way out into the flats on a couple late drops and the board would just drive right back at the wave, and then drive right through my tops turns, more so than any board I have ridden. Constant, progressive acceleration through every turn. Awesome!

I have the fins all set to your marks...feels spot on, probably wont even experiment with moving em around anytime soon.
ch.jpg

ch2.jpg

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I put my twins pretty much the same channel or non channel, but fins can usually be a little smaller on the channel bottom
Fin position moves a little forward as boards get longer
imho

Reactions: sushipop

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I have a GG speed egg with 8 medium channels. Love that board.

I did a write-up here in the past but the main point, chop is not a factor at all with it. It may even help in some situations - regulating the board speed when the rpm drops In a patch.

I Highly recommend for someone to order a GG Twin with channels. I think that board would be insane. If I ever get off my kneeboard era, what will be the first surfboard I order along with a copy of my favorite board, a GG 6 fin. :)

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I still kick myself till this day for not meeting AB and placing a few board orders when he did a shaping stint here in San Diego. My best shortboard decade was ridding Hammish’s Bryning Spears. Loved those boards of the late 80’s to late 90’s.