sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Noa Deane in Stab electric acid thingy, Timmy Patterson channel bottom thruster. Magic.

Love my deep six Byrning Spears thruster. Small AB designed fins - lovingly made by Shapers just down the street from Byrning Spears.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Glassers and Sanders hate 'em.

Most shapers love how they look, but I doubt they get paid enough when they shape them,
so they usually cringe inside when someone orders them.

Most surfers love how they look, but have no idea how or what type of board their use is for,
what kind of surf they work best in, conditions, etc.

So, What type of channels are best for what types of boards and what types of conditions?
Shallow-4 under both feet? Deep 6 out the back? Placement around fins? or thru fins?
Better combo with concaves or vee? More rocker or less?

GG makes some nice looking ones, deep 6 out the back, 2 up front on logs.
Byning Spears/Hamish too, along with other skilled craftman.

IMO, the deep 6 can be tracky, and would work better on a fast lined up type wave,(just looking at it speaks speed).
While the shallow type under feet are more of an all around/ gimmicky/ don't do much of anything
type of shape that just looks cool with no real inherent use.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I asked you a question earlier about channels regarding flex and surface area.

Care to discuss?
Tail has 3 layers with the tail patch + fin boxes or Glassed on fins
Most rigid part of the board By a Huge amount

This would be where flex could be interesting - in the rear of your board -very difficult believing theres flex with all those stffening "parts"

Sooo I doubt the rigidy of channels is not going to take anything away from that .

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Glassers and Sanders hate 'em.

Most shapers love how they look, but I doubt they get paid enough when they shape them,
so they usually cringe inside when someone orders them.

Most surfers love how they look, but have no idea how or what type of board their use is for,
what kind of surf they work best in, conditions, etc.

So, What type of channels are best for what types of boards and what types of conditions?
Shallow-4 under both feet? Deep 6 out the back? Placement around fins? or thru fins?
Better combo with concaves or vee? More rocker or less?

GG makes some nice looking ones, deep 6 out the back, 2 up front on logs.
Byning Spears/Hamish too, along with other skilled craftman.

IMO, the deep 6 can be tracky, and would work better on a fast lined up type wave,(just looking at it speaks speed).
While the shallow type under feet are more of an all around/ gimmicky/ don't do much of anything
type of shape that just looks cool with no real inherent use.

This customer is Very Happy with his 8 channel 4 Fin

finz.jpg

8 channel.jpg

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
At the very end of the single fin thing, I was getting these squatty squash tails, about my height, with six channels and a center box. They were best single fins I ever had in CA surf. Did about three of them. Then twins, quads and thrusters took over. Surfing got easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc