Channel Islands Surfboards

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
That is definitely new and I don't think any other brands do that.
Rusty gives credit to the master-craftsmen in his shop. As with CI the 2nd generation is taking on the role of running the business and the long time production guys were their mentors so they have respect for them and acknowledge it. Pretty cool to see in this day of cash out and crash.

Reactions: oeste858 and JDJ

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I love my twin finner when it is barreling here on the east coast. Such a fun board when the waves call for it. I really enjoyed my neckbeard too, but snapped it clean in half in some South Bay closeout.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Those Twin pins look so nice in photos but in videos look off, like not balanced, or something. Maybe why not released yet. IMO

BTW, I listened to a Donald Brink (exclusively shapes asym) poddie interview where he mentioned working with CI on an asym collaboration, whose got the down and dirty intel?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Rusty gives credit to the master-craftsmen in his shop. As with CI the 2nd generation is taking on the role of running the business and the long time production guys were their mentors so they have respect for them and acknowledge it. Pretty cool to see in this day of cash out and crash.
Does Rick Hammon still shape there at R. don't hear much bout that legend. Was telling me how if I felt I wanted more tail rocker put a car tire (or makeshift) over the tail in the sun to bend rocker, what he does. -sorry for CI/R. highjack

Reactions: JDJ

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I want to hear more about the Happy as a good wave board. Ride reports? Happy or a ghost is on my list for a step up/travel board.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
is the fever a mellowed out proton/dfr?
Supposedly the Fever has continuous rocker which the Proton had as well, but I found the Proton's too be much more pronounced than the Fever's which felt more staged under my feet. The Proton was my first CI and it excelled in good waves where you kept it on rail. When I surfed mediocre beachbreak and saw a section a little down the line I wanted to hit, I couldn't make the thing get to where I wanted as fast as I wanted by doing the heavy front foot thing you'll typically see guys doing before going for a punt. I had to surf the Proton like I was being scored to get the best of its attributes.

The Fever is much more forgiving and easier to generate your own speed on. I generally like most boards Dane rides, but never tried the DFR or Black/White. From what I've read, the Fever has attributes of the MBM, Rookie and Proton. In anything under head high+ (8' faces), I grab my Neck Beard 2. My Fever hasn't seen too much water time since I got the NB2, even though I really like my Fever. My Varial NB2 is 29.2L vs. my stock Spine-Tek Fever at 27.9L (I'm 6' 175lbs) so I've gotten used to the increased float/skatyness of the NB2 where now I feel I want waves with significant push to grab the Fever.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
anyone ridden a brick and wide? any good? looks user frenly with low entry rocker. i heard from casa that only kooks ride los entry so this shud be right up my alley
i’ve had a 5’11 Oh Geez Liar, 6’2 Slappy Step up, 5’6 Spud Mud, a 5’9 Knick Beer 2, and a 5’8 Rickety Slide, all stock OTR, and the Rickety Slide was my favorite and most versatile. and I’m for sure a kook so I love me some low entry rocker.

Reactions: Aruka