Carver - Skate Wheel Opinion.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Posted this on Skaters of the erBB too, but figured I'd double post because I can.

Yo - I have a this:
Carver Pointbreak with C7 trucks -- that I ride at the park. It's fricking great for the snake run. Way more stable at speed than a short carver but can still rip turns like a mutha.

1579465483086.png

I took off the big wheels and risers and went to Carver 58mm 90a Carver roundhouse park wheels. Which have sort of an old Rat Bones profile but they're a bit wider. They're a bit slow though.

1579465518235.png

I now want a set of wheels that are a bit harder and faster - say 95a maybe - but not super slidey. There's not actually much out there.
There's these 59mm 95a Rat Bones - but again, not as wide.
There's also these 56mm Slimeballs. I like the width but they're 97a hardness - so maybe not grippy enough to pump. They make em in 60mm too but I'm a little worried about wheelbite if I go that big. The 58's on the board now give no wheelbite.

The erBB recommends?

Oh - and another question:
Does the fact that Andy Anderson wears a helmet actually make him more punk rock than nearly every other skater who refuses to wear one?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
2mm shouldn't be a dealbreaker as far as wheelbite goes. If you're worried about it throw some thin risers on. Bigger wheels = faster.

I don't know if I would want to go harder duro on a carver but I don't really ride mine in the park so I like the softer duro for rolling on rough streets. The best upgrade I made to my carver was to throw on some really wide downhill longboard wheels since the stock wheels felt like they wanted to slide out when I was pumping for speed. When I try my buddies carver with the smaller stock wheels it feels super slow. Sorry I don't think I've been at all helpful but let me know what you end up doing and how it works.

Andy's a boss, helmet or no.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
i had to change all my trucks on my carver fishy,,,, now feels faster, but kinda stiff,,,, do they come preset from the factory? are you supposed to leave them how they came, or should i adjust them to make them a little bit looser.
You can adjust em. You adjust the c7 spring tension with the bolt on the rear facing side of the truck. NOT the one that holds the contraption together.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
We have two carvers in my house. One has small wheels and one has the same wheels as in the board picture in your original post. I much prefer the bigger softer wheels. Its not even close.
I have a shorter carver swallow with big wheels I ride on the street. The Point break with the little wheels is just for the park.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I'd either stick with the originals or something in a 90A durometer. Mini Logo or OJ's comes to mind. The 975 and 97's will be fast but will def slide out at the modern super smooth concrete parks of SoCal.
And, F yeah Andy is punk for wearing a helmet.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I always wind up at the carver site after reading updates in this thread,
but am too cheap to pull the trigger

I rode my friend's board the other day and want one....why would I get CX
instead of C7?