Careful of the latest scams

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
circa 2010, I worked at a spooky place. We were using voice recordings to identify speakers. Think Star Wars cantina with your google glasses scanning the room for specific voice signatures. The commercial side plans were to use voice recordings as a secondary, behind the scenes, authentication.

Not too hard to imagine the tech has improved. That along with the deep fake stuff. Scary world indeed.
Radio the other day was saying AI voice recordings are now becoming the number one scam.

Most often used to contact mom, dad, or gramma for money, ID theft, or other financial requests.

"Help, my wallet was stolen, can you wire me?"
"Hey dad, how did mom spell her maiden name?"

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I recently got a call from a guy who said he was the Senior Moderator for the erBB. He said I won the $25k Giant Pepis' Contest and I needed to wire him $500 to pay for the federal/state prize winning form fees. Once the paperwork cleared I'd get 25k.

Also, not sure why he requested another pepis pic if I already won the contest.:shrug:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I never like it when they authenticate based on the number I’m calling from.

can’t we spoof that these days? How else am I gettibg spam calls from (999)999-9999?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I believe i posted this on another thread about identity theft not long ago .... for those unaware .... it is possible to buy lists of people with their personal information on the dark web. The more information .. i.e. bank account # etc ... the higher the cost of the list. Also ... validation that the information is correct raises the value. The voice recording is just one more caveat. There are companies ... such as LifeLock ... that will scan the dark web for your information on any lists that are being marketed. If you think your information has been stolen or compromised .... might be worth it to bite the bullet and sign up with one of these companies.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
28 years ago our Autocad computer drafter named Fabio just 2 years out of college answered a call from a copier toner company and somehow said "Yes" to an order of very overpriced toner. They sent us a ridiculous invoice. Accounting asked me about it and Fabio said he didn't order it (he was a good kid - I'm sure he didn't mean to) so I called them. They had him on tape saying yes.

So I said I just spoke to him and he had denied it and then I started sobbing a bit at first then more and more, telling them that we were in a relationship and he had never lied to me before and how can I trust him now - yada yada yada yada. I was doing it loud so the whole office gathered around my desk and I suspect they had me on speaker as I reached a real crescendo. It went on for a while with me letting the toner woman calm me down at the end. We all had fun and the toner people let us off the hook. I wonder if she knew I was pulling her leg?
Was the toner woman named Carl by any chance? :monkey: