Careful of the latest scams

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Out here, "they've" taken to telemarketing calls with the sole purpose of recording your voice saying "yes".

Apparently this is then used with information farmed from the internet and social media platforms to create a false identity in your name and use your assets to do all kinds of foul play from contracting Bank loans to mortgages to taking out credit lines on your paid off properties, etc...

What will "they" think of next?

:socrazy::crazy2::shameonyou::barf::computer::shrug:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Thing is, in Spain, it's absolutely customary to answer the phone with a simple, "¿Si?".

Yes?

:socrazy:

Then there's the "surveys" and "nonprofits" or "animal rights" organizations who "just want to ask anonymous questions for a survey on public opinion".

Basically? I don't answer unless the number is in my contacts. Period.

Fooking crazy world. All this tech supposed to make our lives simpler and easier, complicate them and can even ruin you into BK.

:cursing::bricks::barf:

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I knew watching that tv program where contestants couldn't say yes or no would come in handy one day. :)

Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
for unknown numbers that I still have to answer (often work related) I like to listen for a while.

The real people keep saying ”hello?” while listening to someone breathe on the other side. The bots seem to listen back waiting and then hang up.

Reactions: Havoc

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Why would anyone need a recording of you saying yes? If they are calling people that don't know you, the voice won't matter. If they are calling someone that does know you, they need much more than "yes" to fool them. :shrug:

Reactions: Black

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why would anyone need a recording of you saying yes? If they are calling people that don't know you, the voice won't matter. If they are calling someone that does know you, they need much more than "yes" to fool them. :shrug:
Apparently thru the use of AI, they use that recording and info phished from the net about you, public record mostly with a few crucial exceptions, and then can open virtual online bank accounts and even take out financing in your name. Heard of a local guy who got "hit" and only found out when he went to sell his house and found it in negative equity after a 2nd mortgage was fraudulently taken in his name on the deed of his property.

Es un mundo muy loco, si?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Apparently thru the use of AI, they use that recording and info phished from the net about you, public record mostly with a few crucial exceptions, and then can open virtual online bank accounts and even take out financing in your name. Heard of a local guy who got "hit" and only found out when he went to sell his house and found it in negative equity after a 2nd mortgage was fraudulently taken in his name on the deed of his property.

Es un mundo muy loco, si?
I’ll never put anything past the saviness of scammers and con-men. But I really don’t think anyone can get much from the single word “yes”. At least in English it’s a single syllable. There are AI driven apps that can learn people’s voices and generate text to voice results. But they need a lot more than a one syllable word to learn and accurately replicate voices. There are some key phrases that can get an individual to say most of the phonics in the English language to expedite learning and a good scammer could potentially get a mark to say these phrases or a variation of them.

To con a banking institution over the phone with another persons voice you’d still need identifying info and security question answers. The word “Yes” alone won’t get you very far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
28 years ago our Autocad computer drafter named Fabio just 2 years out of college answered a call from a copier toner company and somehow said "Yes" to an order of very overpriced toner. They sent us a ridiculous invoice. Accounting asked me about it and Fabio said he didn't order it (he was a good kid - I'm sure he didn't mean to) so I called them. They had him on tape saying yes.

So I said I just spoke to him and he had denied it and then I started sobbing a bit at first then more and more, telling them that we were in a relationship and he had never lied to me before and how can I trust him now - yada yada yada yada. I was doing it loud so the whole office gathered around my desk and I suspect they had me on speaker as I reached a real crescendo. It went on for a while with me letting the toner woman calm me down at the end. We all had fun and the toner people let us off the hook. I wonder if she knew I was pulling her leg?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Out here, "they've" taken to telemarketing calls with the sole purpose of recording your voice saying "yes".

Apparently this is then used with information farmed from the internet and social media platforms to create a false identity in your name and use your assets to do all kinds of foul play from contracting Bank loans to mortgages to taking out credit lines on your paid off properties, etc...

What will "they" think of next?

:socrazy::crazy2::shameonyou::barf::computer::shrug:
Why do they need your voice to do any of that lol? My bank doesn’t know my voice.

Reactions: Boneroni

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why do they need your voice to do any of that lol? My bank doesn’t know my voice.
As a "security feature" Fidelity does voice recordings to give you account access.

Also, things are sometimes done different in Europe and elsewhere than the USA.

Last edited:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
As a "security feature" Fidelity does voice recordings to give you account access.

Also, things are sometimes done different in Europe and elsewhere than the USA.
circa 2010, I worked at a spooky place. We were using voice recordings to identify speakers. Think Star Wars cantina with your google glasses scanning the room for specific voice signatures. The commercial side plans were to use voice recordings as a secondary, behind the scenes, authentication.

Not too hard to imagine the tech has improved. That along with the deep fake stuff. Scary world indeed.

Reactions: Mr Doof