Cardiff Van-Life

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I saw one of these things at Overland Expo last year. It was quite capable and quite ridiculous. The fundamental issue I'd have with owning any overlander of this size (aside of course, from price) is, if you get stuck in the serious outback, well, what is going to come in and tow you out? With a Sportsmobile Sprinter/Econoline or a VW Syncro, you have a chance if someone comes by with a Jeep and a snatch rope. Not so much with a 20,000 pound + E450 with 100+ gallons of water onboard.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The only problem with boats after you buy it, the spending has just begun.
2190C51C-B54A-4855-88B0-15B1D24A751C.jpeg
My daughter’s brother in law works on this rig, he’s the dive guide. The owners are on it 3 weeks a year. Maybe another 3 weeks a year used for guests. The maintenance literally never stops.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I saw one of these things at Overland Expo last year. It was quite capable and quite ridiculous. The fundamental issue I'd have with owning any overlander of this size (aside of course, from price) is, if you get stuck in the serious outback, well, what is going to come in and tow you out? With a Sportsmobile Sprinter/Econoline or a VW Syncro, you have a chance if someone comes by with a Jeep and a snatch rope. Not so much with a 20,000 pound + E450 with 100+ gallons of water onboard.
It’s gonna take more than a shitty jack, drift wood, river stones, a GI folding shovel, and mexi engineering to unstuck that beast.

Reactions: john4surf

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Well, you can always drain the water tank:unsure:

Reactions: retodd

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
The owner runs the equivalent of a small country. He doesn’t post here so I guess he’s not a true multitasker.
When you own a boat like that, the $ you pay to maintain it is a trivial expense in your overall scheme of things. A buddy of mine is a big silicon valley tycoon's surf coach. Said tycoon thinks nothing of dropping everything and flying the 737 down to Fiji for a swell. Just calls my buddy on Maui and says, 'hey we're gonna come pick you up.' I think Turtle from North Shore has a few clients like that too.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
How much is the pay for such jobs? Do they get any benefits like good investment tips or usage of vacation homes? And how to find such a job? I assume some agency hire staff for wealthy people?

View attachment 83638
My daughter’s brother in law works on this rig, he’s the dive guide. The owners are on it 3 weeks a year. Maybe another 3 weeks a year used for guests. The maintenance literally never stops.