Car shopping

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Subaru conversion? The engine commonly used for the conversion is now old itself and hard to find low mileage examples. Also, the California legal one does not have much more HP than my engine and...the conversion costs +- $20,000

I like Bob's idea to list it for $35,000 and see what happens...
$20K? sh!t I got lucky. Got my 1987 Vanagon in 2006 for $1800, got the Subaru EJ22 conversion for $9K in 2008 with 125K miles on the van. Drove it from Santa Cruz to LA, over the Grapevine, in July 2019, packed full of surfboards, LP records, and a dog, got 24mpg, and did not have to drive in the truck lane. Mine also isn't a Westphalia, it's a Wolfsburg "Weekender;" bed, Murphy table only. No wood or water hookups, it weighs way less than a full Westy.

There is a place in Santa Barbara that might do a conversion to Subaru for less than $20K.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
$20K? sh!t I got lucky. Got my 1987 Vanagon in 2006 for $1800, got the Subaru EJ22 conversion for $9K in 2008 with 125K miles on the van. Drove it from Santa Cruz to LA, over the Grapevine, in July 2019, packed full of surfboards, LP records, and a dog, got 24mpg, and did not have to drive in the truck lane. Mine also isn't a Westphalia, it's a Wolfsburg "Weekender;" bed, Murphy table only. No wood or water hookups, it weighs way less than a full Westy.

There is a place in Santa Barbara that might do a conversion to Subaru for less than $20K.
There probably are, but when I researched I found these. I can't fork out this much cash for a new engine.

If I was going to repower- this would be the one-

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
There probably are, but when I researched I found these. I can't fork out this much cash for a new engine.

If I was going to repower- this would be the one-

IIRC, Mastercraft in Santa Barbara used to do them. You could try them.

The 1.8T was still in R & D when I needed an engine replacement, so I went with the smog legal EJ22 Subaru. That engine is insanely powerful and reliable. The Subaru has ben great though, mine is a '92 that was rebuilt from the heads up.

Buslab in Berkeley did mine. No regrets.

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A little off topic but it's looking like lots of people in Southern California are now driving SUVs prepared for months of travel into the heart of Africa, snorkel and all.
You need the highlift jack, treds, axe and shovel, extra fuel and water containers and bar lights and only then you're good to go...to Costco for toilet paper.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You need the highlift jack, treds, axe and shovel, extra fuel and water containers and bar lights and only then you're good to go...to Costco for toilet paper.
If all these fuckwads with no intentions of engaging the transfer case didn’t buy 4Runners then maybe Toyota wouldn’t be able to sell what’s essentially a 10 year old truck. Around here the soccer Moms love them smh

I gather it’s like the good ole days at the dealerships. ADM on anything in stock that’s in demand. All the salesman ripping everyones heads off left and right. You don’t like it? There’s the fucking door lol. Seems like just yesterday you could start the grinding at invoice if you weren’t a lay down, roach or ghost. Almost makes me want to get back in the game.

Last edited:

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
car prices insane right now, i was told by a dealer kbb just raised values recently again. sold our mazda for about 1500 more than we paid, stoked. But come to buy another ride we couldnt find any good deals, ended up with a hyundai suv with low miles, a good 2k below kbb, I think these areoverlooked and good rigs, but we will see if it lasts. Fook toyota's right now poeple think their sh!t no stink. salvage tacomas for 30k with 100k miles?

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I got in my first "race" this AM (I don't race or drive fast). Subie vs a Mazda suv (cx-5?). Gut feeling she wanted to c-block me at the merge so I floored it as did she. Neck and neck from the stop sign at our 20+ second 1/4 mile pace :loser: . I was dying LMFAO at the sound of my little boxer engine revving up maybe 35mph and she hit the eject before the stop sign. I win! She laid on the horn and then tailgated me for the next 3 blocks after I gave the victory index finger out the window pointed to the sky like I got spat out of a toob at Pipe masters. :ban: She went hoochie mama berserk at the light, across two lancers who got their morning entertainment, sandwiched between us in their bike lane. I'm officially retiring, undefeated :jamon:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Still thinking about a car swap....

We did our first camp trip since the pandemic and a couple issues with the old Vanagon gave me pause.

Coming down from Sequoia NP my brakes started fading. I was very careful to brake going into turns and let off between, but at a certain point I hit the pedal and it went waay down. I stopped and checked fluid but it was full. I spent the rest of the descent pumping the brakes, driving in 2nd gear, ready to drop it down to 1st and crank the hand brake. Once off the mountain, the brakes were fine. Later I read that the brake fluid can overheat and cause vapor in the line, hence the fade.

And it was HOT. Driving back through the central valley it was 100 plus. I have working AC on my van but it just wasn't up to the task of cooling the big rolling box. All the cold air went straight back and cooled my daughter in the back seat, while my wife and I sat in a dry sauna...

I know my wife won't tent camp now because the park was having constant bear issues. Drought stressed food supplies are causing the bears to seek out human food. They had to close the picnic sites because the bears would show up and folks would run, leaving their food. We encountered bears 3 times in 6 days. I'm not really scared of black bears but my wife freaks out.

As far as the camper search I've found it's hard to get insurance for a DIY van conversion. DIY back seats are a no go and crew vans bump the price $10k. The dilemma continues...

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

We did our first camp trip since the pandemic and a couple issues with the old Vanagon gave me pause.

Coming down from Sequoia NP my brakes started fading. I was very careful to brake going into turns and let off between, but at a certain point I hit the pedal and it went waay down. I stopped and checked fluid but it was full. I spent the rest of the descent pumping the brakes, driving in 2nd gear, ready to drop it down to 1st and crank the hand brake. Once off the mountain, the brakes were fine. Later I read that the brake fluid can overheat and cause vapor in the line, hence the fade.

And it was HOT. Driving back through the central valley it was 100 plus. I have working AC on my van but it just wasn't up to the task of cooling the big rolling box. All the cold air went straight back and cooled my daughter in the back seat, while my wife and I sat in a dry sauna...

I know my wife won't tent camp now because the park was having constant bear issues. Drought stressed food supplies are causing the bears to seek out human food. They had to close the picnic sites because the bears would show up and folks would run, leaving their food. We encountered bears 3 times in 6 days. I'm not really scared of black bears but my wife freaks out.

As far as the camper search I've found it's hard to get insurance for a DIY van conversion. DIY back seats are a no go and crew vans bump the price $10k. The dilemma continues...
When we insured our van w AAA, an inspector from the office (think it was a regular employee) came out to just look at the Vin, mileage, and peak inside. He didn't even climb in, not to mention checking out the seats. I don't remember even talking about how it was cargo w the added seats. Not sure there was anything in the paperwork, either.

We're going to list ours in the next couple months and order our truck. Grom will be eligible for his permit in the spring.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Why does your insurance need to know you converted the van?

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
my brother started a job with a long commute and he was looking at getting a prius. i told him to check out the lexus ct200h. he found a nice used one for like 9k (this was before prices on used cars shot up) and he's super stoked.
The luxury version of the Prius platform. A nice little car that sips gas.

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
We were in Kings Canyon a week ago, on a beach at a swimming hole. A few other groups of people on the beach, maybe 16 total. Bear and baby walking on the other side of the creek. Bear turns and begins crossing the creek. The group closest to the bear freaks out, "ah hell no, ah hell no, I don't do bears!", and runs up the hill leaving their stuff. Bear walks right up to everyone, no fear at all, and rips into the stuff they left. We collected our spread out sh#t, went up on the bridge to watch. People threw rocks at the bear until it grabbed a big Trader Joes bag and bailed back across the river. We went back and hung out on the now empty beach and swam for the rest of the afternoon.