Car shopping

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Maybe in a year or two. My little bro took the pressure off by having a kid this past summer.

Just over 2 months with the new rig and it's been a blast! Already have 5700 miles on it. Planning a road trip out to UT and Sedona in April, with maybe some Eastern Sierra splitboarding adventures thrown in. Gonna start dialing in the sleeping setup in the back. And just picked up a cargo roof box from a friend of mine.
Got me a Subie last Spring as well (0% apr and the price was too good) and did the same. UT, NV, AZ + road trips. Freaking love that car. Plenty of room in back to sleep on one side with gear and a cooler on the other. Already have 25k mi.

Reactions: Iceman

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone got any experience with Kia Niro or Hyundai Ioniq?

i've been side eying the Niro ever since a friend that owns a dealership suggested it. At the time I was looking for my VW Wagon but the VW beat it in every category. The new ones now get better mileage, but I haven't looked too closely.

I ended up with a 17 Prius V and the wife got an older Prius C

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
End of lease right now.

Take the buyout?
Lease another?
Extend the current lease for 12 months at same payment which is being offered due to Covid?

I hate car shopping.
Check out selling it to carvana. They'll set a purchase dollar amount and handle the lease buyout, you keep the difference.
I've got a lease coming due in 2 months '18 civic hatch, he offer is $2500 more than my lease buyout. 90% sure that's what I'm going to do

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Check out selling it to carvana. They'll set a purchase dollar amount and handle the lease buyout, you keep the difference.
I've got a lease coming due in 2 months '18 civic hatch, he offer is $2500 more than my lease buyout. 90% sure that's what I'm going to do

Which explains why their prices were too high for me to want to purchase through them

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
pass the word if any of you guys have an extended cab full size with under 100 on it. mine is still going...think im 175 or so, but i'm figuring iv'e got a year and a half before the engine gets tired

Apr 10, 2021
Space Coast
I just checked this out as I just made my final lease payment. Actually never heard of doing this until your post. My buyout is $23,000 and I put my info in and the on-line offer is $29,000. I'd be getting a check for a little over $6,000 if this is for real. Has anyone here ever actually done this? I'm also looking at extending the existing lease for 12 more months at the same monthly payment. I talked to a friend in the car business and he suggested extending because I couldn't get another new full size SUV for anywhere close to my current payment.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Waiting for the next gen 4Runner in 2023. Rumor is it will be a hybrid design based on the new TNGA-F (Toyota New Global Architecture) platform. Complete redesign and with competition from Ford (Bronco), I'm real curious what kind of major changes they make.

Supposedly two prototypes arrived at LA docks a couple months ago, but so far, no spy shots.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Got me a Subie last Spring as well (0% apr and the price was too good) and did the same. UT, NV, AZ + road trips. Freaking love that car. Plenty of room in back to sleep on one side with gear and a cooler on the other. Already have 25k mi.
Wait until you go skiing and drive right by the chain-up spot on a snowy day and say to yourself, "I ued to be one of those poor bastards!"

Reactions: vanrysss and rice

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wait until you go skiing and drive right by the chain-up spot on a snowy day and say to yourself, "I ued to be one of those poor bastards!"
I'm still a bit sketched driving in the snow at speed. Every T-day trip will help with that. Last year was driving over Donner pass but it wasn't bad.
But, when you get towards that last dealer service included with your purchase (oil, etc), check the warranty and replace stuff that's included. I went for wiper blades at 25k miles and probably saved at least $50. I need to review and swap out stuff before the warranty no longer applies.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Should I keep this vehicle? I'm about to retire and my already paltry, public school teacher income will be halved. We're planning on wandering about the Western US.

Cons- It's become hard to find anyone to work on it. It has a tiico engine conversion, so even my old VW mechanic won't touch it. I do know an old Audi guy who will, but both guys are...old... and about to retire. Bad mpg- about 16 city 20 highway, and requires premium gas. Top speed 70-75mph but I really only like to hold that speed when passing, otherwise highway cruising speed is 65. It's kind of noisy at that speed. And it's in the truck lane going up the Grapevine. Crawls up Tioga Pass.

Pros- seats 4 very comfortably. With seat folded down it can swallow up boards and can keep them locked up. We (wife and teen daughter) sleep in it comfortably. Will probably hold value (current estimate $25,000). It's my third Vanagon and my others sold for more than I paid. It has a certain cool factor. I always get people coming up to me to talk about it, sometimes offering to buy it. No rust. Only a couple very tiny dents and scratches.

IMG_1581.jpg

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I just checked this out as I just made my final lease payment. Actually never heard of doing this until your post. My buyout is $23,000 and I put my info in and the on-line offer is $29,000. I'd be getting a check for a little over $6,000 if this is for real. Has anyone here ever actually done this? I'm also looking at extending the existing lease for 12 more months at the same monthly payment. I talked to a friend in the car business and he suggested extending because I couldn't get another new full size SUV for anywhere close to my current payment.
Have you looked at the used car market?

It is insane. You'll end up losing in the end unless your plan is to take that cash and buy a beater.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Have you looked at the used car market?

It is insane. You'll end up losing in the end unless your plan is to take that cash and buy a beater.
It's fucking wild, might as well buy new for what used cars are going for.

I did the lease sell thing last week. Got $6k for a car I didn't want to buy out and would have turned in two months later for nothing. Now I'm having trouble replacing it.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
If you're going xcountry, I'd sell it. Imagine breaking down in middle America and having to find someone to work on it.

That's one of the main reasons we went w the transit instead of a sprinter. Ford dealer in every town. Crazy. And it's still under warranty.

Reactions: Aruka