Car Rental Crisis In Hawaii

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
NYC was fuckin packed to the gills..grew up there, been back every year - this was the busiest ive seen certain parts of the city for sure, all tourists.
Yeah it’s nuts right? some of the suburbanites are still afraid to commute or are milking the remote work as long as possible (like im doing) and do not go into office spaces etc, but the tourists are like “sign me up for discount NYC Trip!”

The subways and commuter rails are getting busier again. I’ve been on a few that felt like 2019

Reactions: CutnSnip

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Paul was a smart guy, but he was never president of Bankoh.
If he was he wouldn't have been let go during the down turn when all the banks got rid of their economists like Paul and Leroy.

What's happening is pretty typical, when you over use/abuse anything causing the quality of the experience to not meet expectations no matter what cost then you lose the repeat customer who moves on to something perceived better.

When traffic here finally gets to total gridlock and nothing can move from A to B during normal hours then people will start demanding change. Until then, as long as people can keep milking their cow and filling up their pockets with cash, nothing will matter.

Those that can will just split like they always do when satiated, leaving the unfortunate ones who can't afford to behind.
It'll be awhile before we reach that tipping point where we can't sell this place to anyone else anymore and all those needed to service the dream wise up and are racing out the door for a livable life.

Then we look for the next poor, underprivileged community to import here to serve. Syrians, Afghans, Yemenese, or maybe take in the Salvadorans, Guatamalans, Venuzuelans suffocating the southern border. The micros need to evolve up the economic ladder like all the rest did. Could be that this new unfortunate group may just be the growing homeless population which is becoming it's own ethnic culture in its self. The new homeless could be the next servant class for the tourists. It isn't that far fetched.

For every new skyscraper built in kakaako/ala moana, build another Kuhio Park Terrace skyscaper for the poor on sand island. Fill up Sand Island with ghetto skyscraper projects and build a bridge from sand island into honolulu/waikiki so workers can get to their slave owner facilities with ease. No different than the homeless tent city they put up during the pandemic.

We started with the japanese and chinese, then the korean, filopino, portugese, and puerto ricans. Then the samoan, fijian and tongans, then the vietnamese boat people. Then the mexicans for restaurants and coffee field labor and now the micronesians.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
My daughter and her family arrived in Maui 2 days ago. No problem at he airport, no problem with their rental reservation. No traffic today between Paia and Hana, “no traffic to speak of”

Reactions: hammies and racer1

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
A Cat 5 would suck but not to the extent people think. The military presence on Oahu is so significant that the USA would fix things instantly and there would be massive amounts of federal aid. Oahu has multiple 4 star Flag Officers including one who is arguably the most important military Officer in the world (INDOPACOM). No way they let the state run the show after a Cat 5 hurricane.
A CAT 5 would be catastrophic for Hawaii. That is sustained winds of 157 mph during landfall and storm surges of 25 ft.

CAT 5:
“Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months”

“No way they’d let the state run the show” except they have too by federal law. That’s literally how laws work.

If you think the feds can just roll in and take over to handle the disaster and provide relief- go do some research on disasters and federal response.

Last edited:

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
A Cat 5 would suck but not to the extent people think. The military presence on Oahu is so significant that the USA would fix things instantly …..
You are correct that the Gov would fix things, but I would by no means say instantly. I work on a military base in NC and we are just now in the middle of fixing facilities destroyed by Hurricane Florence in 2018, 3 years later.

Reactions: PPK96754

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
If you think the feds can just roll in and take over to handle the disaster and provide relief- go do some research on disasters and federal response.
Having watched the news my whole life I thought I knew what FEMA did - swoop in, take control, and save the day. During Puerto Rico's disaster I found a FEMA Power Point training presentation online which was very interesting. The way it basically works is:
  1. Town can't handle a disaster with its own resources so it calls the county for help.
  2. County can't handle with its own resources, it calls the state.
  3. State can't handle with its own resources, it calls FEMA.
  4. FEMA asks the state which of FEMA's resources it wants and where it wants them. FEMA then proceeds to supply resources under the direction of the state.
  5. FEMA then supplies people who can help with securing low interest government backed loans for rebuilding.
From the training presentation I got the impression that as far as people FEMA only provided people carrying clipboards - there is no FEMA rescue force - the labor is all by the state.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
guam is becoming as important as hawaii with its trident sub base and B1 bomber base. Soon it will get some of the military leaving Okinawa and Afghanistan.
The general population gets wiped out every other year with a major typhoon. They got the whole FEMA cash out assistance program down. They don't even tear down the old structure as there's not enough time before the next typhoon. Some build home they know will be destroyed just to keep collecting the next FEMA check. It's kind of a racket.
But then that's was easy money does, it corrupts

Used to see the "lance da white hawaiian" hanging with "the boys" at the hawaii five o shootings downtown all the time. They used our main branch allot in the early days. Good food.

Three orgs.. UPW, Longshoremen and Movie and TV support crew. All the same crew

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Having watched the news my whole life I thought I knew what FEMA did - swoop in, take control, and save the day. During Puerto Rico's disaster I found a FEMA Power Point training presentation online which was very interesting. The way it basically works is:
  1. Town can't handle a disaster with its own resources so it calls the county for help.
  2. County can't handle with its own resources, it calls the state.
  3. State can't handle with its own resources, it calls FEMA.
  4. FEMA asks the state which of FEMA's resources it wants and where it wants them. FEMA then proceeds to supply resources under the direction of the state.
  5. FEMA then supplies people who can help with securing low interest government backed loans for rebuilding.
From the training presentation I got the impression that as far as people FEMA only provided people carrying clipboards - there is no FEMA rescue force - the labor is all by the state.
That is how it works.

FEMA just coordinates and provides supplies and advisement to the state EMA.

State has to utilize national guard and it’s own manpower. It can request more if it likes however everything runs by and through the state.

Reactions: PJ

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
@PPK96754 any chance you think the road down to hanalei will be back to a regular traffic pattern by xmas?
Perhaps, by the end of the year. The State / contractors have stabilized the upper portion of the slide area with a cement / gunite material but are still working on the lower part in removing the dirt and trucking it off.
There continues to be a "water leak" from an unknown source within the hill from decades back which might be an underground spring or a constructed water tunnel which supplied the surrounding sugar cane fields decades ago. With the leak and rain that we got back in March, it contributed to the large landslide.

*** What kind of applications can gunite be used for?
  • Gunite or shotcrete can be used in the many specialty applications: Slope stabilization Dome Construction Tunneling Retention walls Water tanks and pools Artificial ponds Ditches and Channels As structural reinforcement Mining applications Dikes and dams. ***

I'll try and see about any updates for you ~

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
A CAT 5 would be catastrophic for Hawaii. That is sustained winds of 157 mph during landfall and storm surges of 25 ft.

CAT 5:
“Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months”

“No way they’d let the state run the show” except they have too by federal law. That’s literally how laws work.

I was a block from the beach at my parent's house when this cat 5 hurricane blew through our town. It started just after dark and was hell on earth till dawn. I spent a month afterward as a volunteer with FEMA and the National Guard cleaning up debris and recovering bodies.

OIP (1).jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: PJ and bluemarlin04

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Perhaps, by the end of the year. The State / contractors have stabilized the upper portion of the slide area with a cement / gunite material but are still working on the lower part in removing the dirt and trucking it off.
There continues to be a "water leak" from an unknown source within the hill from decades back which might be an underground spring or a constructed water tunnel which supplied the surrounding sugar cane fields decades ago. With the leak and rain that we got back in March, it contributed to the large landslide.

*** What kind of applications can gunite be used for?
  • Gunite or shotcrete can be used in the many specialty applications: Slope stabilization Dome Construction Tunneling Retention walls Water tanks and pools Artificial ponds Ditches and Channels As structural reinforcement Mining applications Dikes and dams. ***

I'll try and see about any updates for you ~

appreciate the update! looking forward to visiting Kauai again later in the year

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
My daughter and her family arrived in Maui 2 days ago. No problem at he airport, no problem with their rental reservation. No traffic today between Paia and Hana, “no traffic to speak of”
good for them w/ no problems, as far as traffic goes, its picked up quite a bit, the backroads mellow, but main roads are banging.
- its busy, annoying honestly-
hope they have a good trip, and have lots of patience

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
appreciate the update! looking forward to visiting Kauai again later in the year
I just got finished talking with my wife about being frugal for the next several months, but now I wanna go Kauai this fall.I guess we could fly coach and sleep on uncles floor :roflmao::waving:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
looks like the season just kicked off
Cat2 now was a Cat1 yesterday still a way off.
looks like it has a west bound hard on

web1_071521-WEB-Hurricane-Felicia-11am.jpg

thinking of the Marriott Kaua'i Beach Club at Kalapaki at the end of summer/fall for a week
Just shuttle in from the airport and hang out at the resort, surf/swim kalapaki if there's waves and no runoff (lepto)
kind of pricy though

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Love the golf course there. Makai will always be my heart/ spirit course but the Marriott bluff top course is pretty sick too