Captain Fin Snap In System

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Not sure I get it. It still installs like a futures box, but takes a notched fin tab that doesn't exist. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Based on my experience with captain fin products not being the finest quality I am pretty skeptical. It also seems like a step backwards to have the small tabs like OG FCS.

Looks like a similar footprint to a Futures box so not an improvement in the strength department for big twin fins.

Hopefully it is at least a more secure hold than the fin ejecting FCS2. No grub screw holes that I could see so you'd better hope so.

I think competition is good so best of luck to them.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Reinventing a fin system has to be the worst investment one could make without a license deal with a pop out company.

I think libtech’s boxes which are compatible with existing systems and are much smarter.

I don’t know a single surfer who makes or breaks their fin box decision based on using grub screws. Pretty much everyone I know picks their boxes based on their existing fin quiver.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just saw there’s a little piece that faces backwards from the end of the twin tabs to secure the fin. I’d guess those could be fairly easy to snap off.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I like it! It seems compatible with FCS fins. I wonder if it works with FCSII fins?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I like it! It seems compatible with FCS fins. I wonder if it works with FCSII fins?
no. Doesn’t look like FCS2 would fit.
E6D17691-F9C1-4EA0-9462-3ECBB67501FA.png
To get any “benefits” of this box, you’d need to use their new fins with the trailing nub to be able to secure without a screw… otherwise it’s just a fcs fusions box. It looks like it’s the same install as futurds boxes so it’s hard to see this taking off with shapers / boar brands unless they really hate routing for FCS2 boxes. I think you’re better off waiting for the inevitable Andorfins box.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sh3

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Too bad FCS don't do the pin at the front of their fins with the snap in roller towards the back on their normal fins like they have on their snap in single fins. Obviously I haven't thought about it much re pitfalls just had the thought and vocalised it.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
one reason why LokBox was a challenge is because people have Future/FCS fins around all over the globe when you need one or a set. Break a LokBox and youre pretty much dry docked on your trip. Great strong simple system though.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
one reason why LokBox was a challenge is because people have Future/FCS fins around all over the globe when you need one or a set. Break a LokBox and youre pretty much dry docked on your trip. Great strong simple system though.
Not to mention that I probably have a couple thousand dollars worth of FCS and FCSII fins on hand that I've accumulated since I got my first board with FCS back in the 90s.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Wouldn't it be fairly plausible to tag the trailing edge of your fin on something (like my heel when I turn to paddle for a wave on a small quad or twin) and pop it out?