Cancel Wave of the Winter. Healey Just Killed it With a Second Reefer.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Cam Richards blew that out of the water today. Check his Instagram. Holy Chit

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
keenfish said:
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Frobb.havassy%2Fvideos%2F10156271714202917%2F&show_text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
not bad. probably could have hit the lip or done an air on that end section though.

lol. that was FOOKING INSANE. i was yelling at my computer monitor as he ran through that beast!

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Baron's was sikk.

Jamie's from a few years ago was ludicrous.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I grew up riding Kelly Richards’ boards (Cam’s pop) and hanging out in his shop. I just sent him a note congratulating him on Cam’s wave. He wrote back: “I shaped that board bitch. Love you brother”
Carolina represent!! Wonder if anyone will want a Perfection board for the Pipe Masters now.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
OneWorldEd said:
I grew up riding Kelly Richards’ boards (Cam’s pop) and hanging out in his shop. I just sent him a note congratulating him on Cam’s wave. He wrote back: “I shaped that board bitch. Love you brother”
Carolina represent!! Wonder if anyone will want a Perfection board for the Pipe Masters now.
No.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I would say that its virtually impossible to beat Cam's wave at this point. Just a rare gem he snagged and then he rode it to perfection. The chances of a better wave coming through this season and being ridden to perfection like that are slim to none. I remember surfing with him in the water in Hatteras when he was probably 15 years old and he was quite a stand out even back then.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Longer barrel on Cam Richard's wave, but somehow Healey's impressed more. Or maybe was just more visually appealing to me.

Love the look of huge roll ins. Not a big fan of super sketchy just-able-to-scratch-in barrels.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
All those ride (above) are pretty great, glad I don't have to decide for the records which is the best.

Still, the work to get into position should be part of the equation, and while I have no experience at Pipeline, from what I've read, it seems like getting set up for the outside 2nd reef stuff is actually difficult, maybe a little bit moreso than setting up for the hairball regular big Pipeline drops.

So, we have an uncommon roll-in from the outside, deft maneuvering of a larger board (setting up then driving past the boil take-off spot with inside-the-tube adjustments), and clean exit demonstrating lots of control. A fair contender for the claim.

Still, Mamiya's ride on that small board = :bowdown:

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Mr Doof said:
All those ride (above) are pretty great, glad I don't have to decide for the records which is the best.

Still, the work to get into position should be part of the equation, and while I have no experience at Pipeline, from what I've read, it seems like getting set up for the outside 2nd reef stuff is actually difficult, maybe a little bit moreso than setting up for the hairball regular big Pipeline drops.

So, we have an uncommon roll-in from the outside, deft maneuvering of a larger board (setting up then driving past the boil take-off spot with inside-the-tube adjustments), and clean exit demonstrating lots of control. A fair contender for the claim.

Still, Mamiya's ride on that small board = :bowdown:

On the theme of positioning in order to get a wave, check out the drone photo by Laserwolf on page 101 of the latest Surfers Journal. (27.6)
Check out the track showing where Mickey started paddling to where he caught the wave he's riding.

Awesome perspective and really neat photo.

Take care.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In one of the angles of Cam's ride you can see that he almost comes off after going over the foam ball from the first section but he manages to hang on and thread the needle on the next couple of critical sections. It could be years or a lifetime before we see a better ride than that one out there.:bowdown: