Can your surfing improve after years of surfing?

Apr 18, 2012
NYC
It's crazy that your body does change a bit toward 50...harder to stay fit and skinny, and recovery time doubles. I keep thinking I could get really much better if I just had a few weeks of solid surf in a tropical location and nothing else to do....no chance of that until I get really old, and by then I'll probably just buy a boat-If I live that long. So for now I'll keep riding more volume and go out only when I really really feel like surfing.

Reactions: mundus

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
yes. with realistic expectations , you can get better at riding barrels and bigger waves with time and experienc.
stay fit and surf better waves . Probably not learning airs at 40+ unless you hate your knees and ankles :roflmao:

Reactions: ~rwright~

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I have some days where I feel I’ve never surfed better then some days I can’t even stand up. I think it’s the crowd. screws me up mentally.
same, i've realized that some days you're on while other days a you feel like a kook

Jul 4, 2006
New England
Bummer, my stetch is one of the worst in NJ but almost never crowded and like you said the last year has been the worst stretch of surf ever, surfing is quitting me!
I feel this way these days. I'm finally at a spot in my life where I can pretty much prioritize every swell and have all full array of gear I'm very happy with, only problem is the frequency of surf. Last summer was brutal; this spring has been brutal as well and its only going to get worse. Since April 1st I think I've had one good day of surf, two days where the waves were mushy and maybe waist high, and then there might have been a morning or two micro days for the longboarders that I didn't bother with. I'm fairly certain I didn't miss any other potential days (East Coast...). I'd love to surf 2-3 times per week. Hell, I'd love to surf at least once a week. I can clearly see improvements when we get a winter run of 2-3 weeks with solid surf, but without the frequency its so hard to continue with any noticeable improvement.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
.....do you just reach a point/age where your surfing has just peaked and will remain static.
It is entirely dependent on how often you surf. Normally surfers decline in performance with age. That is because they go less often. They are waiting for the perfect swell and fail to practice in shitty surf. Before you know it you lose your pop up. The pop up is the first to go. That is when you start using the chicken wing, 2-step pop up. First plant your rear foot, then step 2 is bring your front knee up under your chin. Just be diligent practicing pop ups in your back yard on an old board. Do push ups until it is easy to do 10 pushups quickly.

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
^what he said

aging is not hard on the surfing, imho - it's hard on the pop-up. and everything follows from there - if i got up in a timely manner with my feet in the right spot, i will rip. and if i don't, i will spend the rest of the wave flailing about, trying to compensate. and i do more of the latter and less of the former here in my '60's and i don't see that trend going away.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I surfed by best from 19-25 and then 40-45 years old.

Really just a matter of fitness to be honest.

Get fit, go rip.
Fitness is a must, but as with most anything, you're only going to get better doing the activity multiple times a week. If you want to improve you need to increase the frequency, and also push yourself to try things you currently cant do, and keep trying until you succeed. That sets your comfort zone at a higher level and becomes your new normal.

I was better at certain sports when I was younger because I did them more, but could probably get back pretty close to my best now in my 40's if I put the time in.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Bummer, my stetch is one of the worst in NJ but almost never crowded and like you said the last year has been the worst stretch of surf ever, surfing is quitting me!
I sometimes think that if I lived further from the surf I'd actually surf more. Strange as that may sound. I'm so set in my ways that I only want to surf the spots that are within bicycle distance of my house. Those also happen to be some of the most crowded waves on the East Coast in that two mile stretch of beach Its easy to get bummed out when every peak in your zone is packed. If I lived 15 miles inland my cone of travel would be much larger likely extending from Brigantine to Avalon and anywhere in between.......and if that were the case I'd probably never surf the places near where I live now.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Guys... LONGBOARDS!!!

I know, I know
I have several longboards but I honestly don't get much enjoyment out of longboarding. Perhaps its 20 years of resentment against people using longboards as a crutch to snake waves. I'd rather take pictures of shortboarders than paddle out on a longboard. I do have some spots I'll escape to when I want to surf. You'll only find me on a longboard when its 90 degrees out and the waves are too small for a shortboard.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
^what he said

aging is not hard on the surfing, imho - it's hard on the pop-up. and everything follows from there - if i got up in a timely manner with my feet in the right spot, i will rip. and if i don't, i will spend the rest of the wave flailing about, trying to compensate. and i do more of the latter and less of the former here in my '60's and i don't see that trend going away.
Agreed about the pop-up but would add that the paddling speed to get into the wave with substantial forward momentum is also key. Same idea, though - everything is easier if you're not trying to constantly play catchup on the wave.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Guys... LONGBOARDS!!!

I know, I know
This dumb grom at my local made fun of this middle aged dude on a 10'0. Said something like "going to get a smaller board and stop surfing that boat?"

Problem was the dude on the longboard is a 240 lbs local boy and has a shot back from a deployment to Iraq. He can barely paddle. We now take turns stuffing the kid and laughing about it.

Last edited: