Can you use a TWIC card to get into Pendleton to surf DMJ & Church?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hope so for your sake, I was forced to get one when I had my 6 pack and got zero benefit from it.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Usually, it will get you on base.

However, TWIC is not an authorized patron to use any of the beaches or facilities. So if you get caught by an MP then you can be cited for trespassing. I'm not sure how much they enforce ID checks. It varies. The base near me in Hawaii has cited people who used contractor IDs to surf with trespassing.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Last year, Veterans with “Service Connected” disability on their id were given authorization to use all military base exchanges, commissarys, gas stations, etc. I never thought about beaches but I believe recreational facilities are included for former (not retired) military and their dependents.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Last year, Veterans with “Service Connected” disability on their id were given authorization to use all military base exchanges, commissarys, gas stations, etc. I never thought about beaches but I believe recreational facilities are included for former (not retired) military and their dependents.
Depends on the base when it comes to beach access. Most bases don't care and allow all service connected to get access. There are some bases that enforce active and retirees only at certain beaches.

Reactions: john4surf

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
True story: Late '70s. My dad was a naval officer so my mom's car had a base sticker that got you on to any base anywhere. Trestles runs were common, it was rarely crowded, park at Church and walk up.

Once I pulled up to the Basilone guard shack and they were really checking cars that day, my buddy was super nervous 'cause he had a bag of weed. Like an idiot he takes it out of his pocket and stuffs it into the glove box right as the Jarhead walks up. Sure enough he finds the dope and "confiscates" it, gives us a lecture and lets us go surfing. We watched as he tossed the pot into this dumpster around back. We practically shat ourselves, so stoked we didn't get arrested! We drove down to the beach, got waves, and on the way out decided to sneak around back and go dumpster diving. Sure enough the weed was gone :(