Can you share Pros & Cons for a Roof Cargo Box?

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
:shrug: Cons? ....then there was that post from GWS where some pro was going some where and had a patch of boards made burning the midnight oil ,picked them up headed to the airport, boards in cargo box, they forgot to lock the box, when they got to the airport....no boards..... or something like that
:hah: double check the closures

:shrug: I think you should look for one made to be taken off when not being used ~ less drag

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Borrowed a black yakima box and had two boards in there for a two week trip to Oregon. Temps got up to 95. I thought I was going to open up my board bags to a melted gooey wax mess but it was completely fine. I get more melting from them just sitting in the garage,

Mileage was really no different in a V8 4runner and a V8 silverado. You don't even notice it up there. Car may be a different story though.

I think for your situation you should try it. Just pick one up used so it doesn't break the bank.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
back in the day, friend and i flyfished a lake until dark and got all :beer: :smokin:

drove away after packing everything in the rockbox & some douchetard behind starts flashing his brights at me, then drives up next to me and starts yelling and gesturing so i flip him off.

then a bit later i start hearing something flapping against my back window, and realize we left the box open... drove back to pick up all our sh1t strewn and ran over.

i often think about that man telling this story from his perspective. :blush:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Q_Surf said:
back in the day, friend and i flyfished a lake until dark and got all :beer: :smokin:

drove away after packing everything in the rockbox & some douchetard behind starts flashing his brights at me, then drives up next to me and starts yelling and gesturing so i flip him off.

then a bit later i start hearing something flapping against my back window, and realize we left the box open... drove back to pick up all our sh1t strewn and ran over.

i often think about that man telling this story from his perspective. :blush:
:roflmao:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Okay, two bad box stories.

1. After 15 years, the lock/latch doesn't work so good and I hadn't locked it. I was driving about 60 mph north on 1 and it was howling offshore. A strong gust rocked my truck sideways and blew the box open. I look in the rearview mirror and see my board spinning 25 feet above the highway. Somehow it sat still on the highway and did not get ran over. Pretty damaged though and the board bag was blown onto the front of a bus before I could grab it.

2. I hadn't had the box on for a long time and had just put it on my truck for a camping trip. I never use the drive through car wash's but for some reason I did. I came out and started to dry my truck and noticed there were no racks on it????? Or box. Turned around to see that the entire box and racks were ripped off and sitting in the car wash tunnel. :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:

Don't do the above.

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
barnod said:
ifallalot said:
I don't think you can go wrong with either a Forester or an Outback. My Forester is rated at 31mpg highway and I get about 30mpg when I keep it at 75. That has to be better than almost any SUV. I think the Outbacks get 28-29
i have a 2016 outback. i get ~31-32 mpg according to the vehicle compute,r if i'm on the highway for the majority of the trip. it's closer to 28 mpg or so if i'm doing a bunch of stop n go.
I have 2014 Outback - great all around car. I don't really pay much attention to the mileage around town, my work commute is only 5 miles, but I can get approximately 30-31 mpg on the highway.

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
rice said:
Okay, two bad box stories.

1. After 15 years, the lock/latch doesn't work so good and I hadn't locked it. I was driving about 60 mph north on 1 and it was howling offshore. A strong gust rocked my truck sideways and blew the box open. I look in the rearview mirror and see my board spinning 25 feet above the highway. Somehow it sat still on the highway and did not get ran over. Pretty damaged though and the board bag was blown onto the front of a bus before I could grab it.

2. I hadn't had the box on for a long time and had just put it on my truck for a camping trip. I never use the drive through car wash's but for some reason I did. I came out and started to dry my truck and noticed there were no racks on it????? Or box. Turned around to see that the entire box and racks were ripped off and sitting in the car wash tunnel. :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:
Don't do the above.
:roflmao:
Sorry rice, I'm only laughing because we just talked about this incident and this thread, your damaged board: :bawling:
But the bus with your board bag stuck to the front is comical :hat:

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Eh. .....crappy. Caught a couple fun ones but that's about it. Can't complain to much, fun just to get out

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
A couple days after coming back from a trip, I drove into a parking garage with my Thule box on top of my truck. Just forgot it was up there. Crazy loud screech, and some big ass scratches, but it didn't break. I was amazed. They definitely come in handy when you have kids and dogs. No, I don't put the kids or dogs IN there, just to clarify.