Can you make rent?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I knew a guy who bought the cheapest single family house available in Santa Barbara. Minimal fix-ups, paint, carpets, drapes. Flipped it 2 years later, cleared $100K.
Put that down on some land in Buellton, poured a pad and brought in a double-wide. Stoked!
I bought a house in the hidden valley neighborhood in Santa Barbara. It had lots of code violations, and was owned by a pill addict.

Fixed the violations, filled in the pool, cleaned it all up, and made $180,000 in about 4 months

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Let's say you buy a $700K house. Your monthly PITI is about $3K/month. It never goes up.
Let's say you rent the same place for $2500. Your rent goes up $100 every 2 years.

In 30 years the owner has shelled out $1.08M and now owns the house outrght.
In 30 years the renter has shelled out $1.18M and owns nothing.

The trick is coming up with the down payment - $140K in this case.
The notion of property tax and insurance not going up in Florida sounds strange. There's a law capping how much the former can go up per year, but the sumbeach is going up, or your $700K house just took a sh!t and isn't worth $700K anymore.

For what the more affordable 2-3br/2ba houses/condos go for around here, doing the math, my rent is about property tax and insurance on one of those, and it hasn't budged since 2011. Not a dime.

I don't have to mow a lawn, repair jack sh!t, etc.

And if a Cat 5 rips a new inlet where my current dwelling is, well, I lost some old clothes, a decently new queen bed, some WalMart kitchenware, and a few boards I didn't bother taking with me.

The road to the boat ramp and Safe Harbor seafood and the marinas on the East side of the river here? It floods on hard onshore winds or new/full moons. When your lot is below the mean high tide line, it's not yours anymore.

Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Let's say you buy a $700K house. Your monthly PITI is about $3K/month. It never goes up.
Let's say you rent the same place for $2500. Your rent goes up $100 every 2 years.

In 30 years the owner has shelled out $1.08M and now owns the house outrght.
In 30 years the renter has shelled out $1.18M and owns nothing.

The trick is coming up with the down payment - $140K in this case.
In 30 years the owner has done a $hitload of maintenance and improvements no matter who lives there. How many people in this day and age live in a house they’ve owned for 20+ years?

It’s cash on the barrelhead here. There is some government sponsored low cost housing, apartment blocks, but most of the people that own rent them out. Cracker box shitholes.

It’s been a priority for us to check out leaving two properties where our kids and their kids have roofs over their heads throughout their lifetimes. Our grandkids offspring can fend for themselves. Everything will be free by then.

Reactions: PRCD

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
House next door just sold 30k over asking. It’s a junker. I was blown away. It’s not a buyers market here. No signs of slowing down.

Reactions: CutnSnip