Can we talk about the Venice Beach surf/homeless camp?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I-5 exit @ Tecolote Canyon Road under the freeway next to the new trolley station:

I saw the homeless bicycle chop shop being cleared out by code enforcement or Caltrans and police on Tuesday.

Wednesday I was sitting at the exit and looked down to my left - the chop shop was up and running again.

It actually looks very neat and orderly.
Just goes to show you can't stereotype.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
"This was completely unexpected. They followed all the protocols in place. It was not really one of these explosions that was unplanned. This was planned," LAPD Lt. Raul Jovel said at a press conference Thursday morning.
Great plan. As long as everything is planned, it's OK.
Check the video below at the same link. Karen and Ken in SF wake up to smoke. They check their apps for information. Finding none, Ken looks outside and sees fire next door.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
This makes me so very happy. I feel bad for the injured, and the people whose cars were trashed, but as for the boom-boom tards . . . :roflmao: :loser::roflmao::loser:

I really hate them. This year has been mellow, but the last few years - nonstop explosions for weeks at a time, foul, polluted air, fires, and panicked animals running in the street. Then comes all the lost pet posters. It's just fucking gross.

Norm'

Duke status
Jan 31, 2003
Lovetron
This makes me so very happy. I feel bad for the injured, and the people whose cars were trashed, but as for the boom-boom tards . . . :roflmao: :loser::roflmao::loser:

I really hate them. This year has been mellow, but the last few years - nonstop explosions for weeks at a time, foul, polluted air, fires, and panicked animals running in the street. Then comes all the lost pet posters. It's just fucking gross.
You hate fun!

• Haha
Reactions: Witchipoo and PRCD

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I have a going on 7 year old pit bull that was a rescue. I don't know what happened to him, but he is terrified of fireworks. So for the past six years my 4th ofJuly is me in a back bedroom with the air conditioner on full blast, the TV on loud, and the dog laying on top of me on the bed shaking. My other dog, in his prime, accidentally got out on the 4th. No fear. He was pissed. 120 pounds of dog chasing people off the street. TCB. He's 13 now. Going deaf and blind. He'll probably snarl a few times and go back to sleep.

I went on a MTB ride a few weeks ago. I don't think I have ever seen the hills this dry this early in the summer. It's a tinder box back there.

My kid told me one homeless guy stabbed another one to death on the beach a few days back. I believe it was in the middle of the day. Fairly gruesome beach day. Come to Venice Beach for the drugs, stay for the random killings.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Today’s aftermath of yesterday’s no pants guy:

B1A3EEFD-1250-4839-A7DB-D2AA01793ECC.jpeg

A new fella has taken roost in the lot, I happened to drive by when he was engaged in an argument with another homeless woman who apparently said something about him being messy. This triggered him.

Immediately after I stopped recording he told her to "Lick my shitty asshole!"

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Walking from my office in West LA today, I had one homeless person screaming that they were going to kill me and the woman I was walking with, and another throw a watter bottle at my head. Cop was parked right there and didn't get involved. I figure if I had to throw down with one of these cretins, the cop would finally get involved, if only to arrest me.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
So these people are the human refuse of a society that produces winners and losers and not much in between.

And now these losers are saying (in effect)> OK, we lose, you win. We can't live by your rules so we are going to live by our own.

Is that a moreorless fair assessment?

If so, what are you going to do with the ever increasing number of losers who can't make it into normal society?

Criminalize them and intern them in camps seems to be the preferred option here, which I cast no judgement on.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Ahem that’s SLO County’s claim to fame, don’t go stealing our well deserved thunder :shameonyou:
You best be able to back that up, because the South Bay can bring the closeout smoke.

Immediately after I stopped recording he told her to "Lick my shitty asshole!"
Brah let's see you last a New Jersey winter, having to be masked up all the way to California, walk down to Lowers, paddle battle like crazy, long walk back up the hill, and all you want to do is have a Hot Carl('s Jr) and troll the erBB political section, and along comes Karen vibing you. Leave. Gromsdad. Alone.

The guy is kind of ready for corporate HR. If he'd instructed her to lick phallus, that would have reeked of hetero-normativity and rapey-ness.

Instead, he went with the non-gendered "asshole".

Lick his shitty asshole, casa!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. So these people are the human refuse of a society that produces winners and losers and not much in between.

2. And now these losers are saying (in effect)> OK, we lose, you win. We can't live by your rules so we are going to live by our own.

3. Is that a moreorless fair assessment?

4. If so, what are you going to do with the ever increasing number of losers who can't make it into normal society?

5. Criminalize them and intern them in camps seems to be the preferred option here, which I cast no judgement on.
1. Fair enough for a single sentence. But I bet a fair few were gainfully employed lower middle class people who had an injury and got hooked on oxy or medically billed out of being able to afford a home. Doubtful this series of events and the realities of street life didn't have a bad effect on their mental health.

2. Yes. There is an expression in America: "Fuck you money". It's when someone can afford to live off their wealth, don't have to work, and can say "Fuck you" to everyone - they aren't beholden to an employer or court of public opinion. These people have nothing, which is another form of "Fuck you money".

3. For a surfing message board shorthand analysis of a problem as multivariate as homelessness in the US, yes.

4. TBD. This isn't an easy problem to solve humanely.

5. It's easy to say something academic like "there are lots of job openings" or "it isn't illegal to be poor". But the substance-dependent bar themselves from sobriety-dependent helping hands in the US, and the mentally ill might not be capable of being productive members of the working poor/lower middle class. You can't bag groceries slow as sh!t, wander off distracted, and threaten to kill shoppers.

Throwing tax money at internment camps for the homeless sounds a bit harsh. Having swaths of Southern California burn to the ground because someone who contributes nothing to society shot fireworks/tossed a cig/cooked poorly is another problem.

Reactions: hammies

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So these people are the human refuse of a society that produces winners and losers and not much in between.

And now these losers are saying (in effect)> OK, we lose, you win. We can't live by your rules so we are going to live by our own.

No. They're drug addicts and they need treatment. THey don't want shelter because they prefer drugs to shelter and its rules.

Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

If so, what are you going to do with the ever increasing number of losers who can't make it into normal society?
Not sure what you mean by losers - they're not down-on-their-luck economic losers.

They are homeless because no one can put up with their seemingly incorrigible behavior.

Check out the article I posted in my previous reply.

They are
a) Unhouseable crazy people off their meds - usually they simply don't want to take their meds. (free meds available if you want 'em)
b) Unhouseable drug/alcohol addicts who aren't ready for treatment.
c) Homeless by preference some who receive checks and other financial assistance.

Criminalize them and intern them in camps seems to be the preferred option here, which I cast no judgement on.
You need appropriate options for the varying situations and options that act as a deterrent.

Ne need to criminalize the mentally ill who are on the streets - medication and institutionalization is what they need.

As far as the drug and alcohol addicted - they can be detoxed then choose their own path. Work camp or regular work. If they're picked up out on the streets again it's back to camp.

Remember, their are loads of options at homeless shelters for people who are homeless but committed to sobriety and want to get off the streets and back on their feet. Unfortunately that's not what the majority of homeless people want.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Holy sh!t

An actual anti-fireworks person

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
1. Fair enough for a single sentence. But I bet a fair few were gainfully employed lower middle class people who had an injury and got hooked on oxy or medically billed out of being able to afford a home.
Having personally known a few people who ended up homeless, not to mention working with them in my occupation - a lot of the homeless are much younger than they look (drugs and alcohol and lack of hygiene ages a person) and most are just plain hooked on drugs and alcohol. There were no precipitating events (i.e. was previously working and got hurt, many seem to have never worked) and a fair amount come from upper-middle and even upperclass backgrounds. They simply become intolerable due to their substance abuse issues and burn all their bridges to friends and family.

No one wants a junkie around the house, they are eventually stealing all your sh!t and bringing their junkie friends over and sucking d*ck for smack.

Always weird to see someone you hung out with as a kid on the corner strung out and selling herself. At least she shot a BangBus episode first.