Can we talk about the new TESLA TRUCK?

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
squidley said:
It dumbfounds me how people can think it's more efficient to transform fossil fuel into electricity, transport the electricity many miles, put the electricity into a battery, store the electricity chemically, discharge the electricity, and then transform it in an electric motor to power a vehicle.....

.....more efficient than converting fossil fuel directly into mechanical energy to power a vehicle.
hammies said:
They can actually calculate the gasoline equivalent mileage of electric cars. Typically runs around 80 - 110 mpg. Large electric plants are so much more efficient than small internal compustion engines.

Those figures are flat-out lies. Electric miles-per-gallon equivalency ratings start with the energy stored in the battery, and disregard all of the losses I described in generating, transmitting, converting and storing the energy in the battery.

But you want them to be true, so there's no reasoning with you.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Electricity has the potential to tap into much more robust sources of energy than fossil fuels, like the sun, either through solar or nuclear fusion. I’m not opposed to fossil fuels. There just have to be better ways of harnessing energy than digging up fossil fuels and burning them. Nuclear can right now produce virtually limitless energy. It’s just that we are not currently able to minimize or eliminate the horrible tail risks. But maybe in the future ...

Solar and wind farms kill millions of birds every year. It's pathetic that people who pride themselves in protecting the environment are endorsing these nightmares.

Home solar panels do NOT pay for their investment in electricity savings. People who install them use laws to force energy companies to buy their electricity when nobody needs it. The excess gets flushed, and your neighbors are stuck paying your electric bill.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
What dumbfounds me is that these things don't charge themselves, use the sun or the rotating tires....figure that one out, Elon

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Not sure how solar panels, especially on homes, kill birds, but I agree with you regarding wind turbines. I'm no hippie, and I'd like to have abundant energy. I just don't see fossil fuels getting us there. Plus, the oil and gas we use to run cars relies too heavily on regions of the world that are fairly unstable, to say the least. I support fracking and using our domestic natural gas reserves.

But why the hate on electricity? It's a great option. Tesla is encouraging innovation throughout the auto industry.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
It dumbfounds me how people can think it's more efficient to transform fossil fuel into electricity, transport the electricity many miles, put the electricity into a battery, store the electricity chemically, discharge the electricity, and then transform it in an electric motor to power a vehicle.....

.....more efficient than converting fossil fuel directly into mechanical energy to power a vehicle.
All those steps (plus more) are applicable to fossil fuel.

your point is null and void.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
What dumbfounds me is that these things don't charge themselves, use the sun or the rotating tires....figure that one out, Elon
They do charge when breaking and releasing the gas pedal. So that bit of tech is there and I’m sure will only get better.

I wouldn’t be surprised if solar integration is in the works, though surprised not yet.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I have a 180 w panel on my van. There's not enough SA on the roof to charge the battery pack that runs your motor.

but enough to charge my 200 ah bank to run my fridge and roof fan, charge electronics, etc.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
imagine your solar roof on car get so hot, someone set drink on it to get in and it melts the cup

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
JDJ said:
Not sure how solar panels, especially on homes, kill birds

It doesn't matter that you don't understand that. I didn't say it. I said "Solar and wind farms kill millions of birds every year."

JDJ said:
.....but I agree with you regarding wind turbines. I'm no hippie, and I'd like to have abundant energy. I just don't see fossil fuels getting us there. Plus, the oil and gas we use to run cars relies too heavily on regions of the world that are fairly unstable, to say the least. I support fracking and using our domestic natural gas reserves.

Funny, I never thought of South Texas as a dangerous part of the world. As of, I think, 2017 the United States is no longer a net importer of petroleum. We are a net exporter of petroleum, thanks to fracking in the South Texas oil fields. We don't rely on dangerous parts of the world, at least on average.

JDJ said:
But why the hate on electricity? It's a great option. Tesla is encouraging innovation throughout the auto industry.

Who hates electricity? I said it's a BAD power source for automobiles and trucks, and that's what it is.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Ok Negative Nancy Mike Jones,
Leaverite, anyone else...

Look, you’re not the only one that isn’t on board with EV’s. And that’s fine really. After all, the EV market is only about 2-5% of the total autos sold world wide. So, many more where you came from.
Of course it isn’t a perfect save all form of energy/transportation. And Yes, it isn’t really that green. And totally, it has a long way to go to take over the many areas that you seem to support.
However, it is being proven right before our eyes, that it can be very beneficial on many platforms, including EVs, and that proof is slowly translating to eyes opening wider everyday, $$$$ being invested into everyday, and potential and probable outcomes being performed right before our eyes, every single day.
So, it’s ok if you are not on board with it.
The surfboard building industry is more or less the same too. Very few new things, products, materials etc. being created and used these days with surfboards that are eye opening and beneficial at the same time.
it will take time, a long time, before more then 2-5% of the people are on board.
Meanwhile,there are no new surfing spots being made and the ones that are quiet will be discovered and taken over soon enough, probably with the same old surfboard materials, and by the same old grumpy negative Nancy nimbys like yourselves, trying to protect them.

And just like with the shaping machines, it’s going to happen with or without you. And yes it will be better, much better!:drowning:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My wife's Model S is the best sedan I've ever driven, by far. It is asinine to ignore the benefits of electric motors over combustion engines. Sure I get that everything today has to be about politics but innovation is innovation. Personally I find the sheer madness of driving an Italian single clutch V12 and the perfection of driving a German flat 6 as irreplaceable experiences....but I also grew up listening to records.....but for a daily......there probably isn't a better car on the planet than the Tesla Model 3. it just ticks every single box.

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My wife's Model S is the best sedan I've ever driven, by far. It is asinine to ignore the benefits of electric motors over combustion engines. Sure I get that everything today has to be about politics but innovation is innovation. Personally I find the sheer madness of driving an Italian single clutch V12 and the perfection of driving a German flat 6 as irreplaceable experiences....but I also grew up listening to records.....but for a daily......there probably isn't a better car on the planet than the Tesla Model 3. it just ticks every single box.

RINO!!!

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
I have a 180 w panel on my van. There's not enough SA on the roof to charge the battery pack that runs your motor.
but enough to charge my 200 ah bank to run my fridge and roof fan, charge electronics, etc.
Howdy GhostShaper!
I've had my ol' '99 red Dodge Dakotas batt not even able to start my pick~up at thee beach,
put a 15 watt solar panel on it for a few hours mid~day, got enough power to start it,
the alternator/generater, would then re~charge it as i drove around L.A.
and do so again another day, and then again, + again,
for i liked to sometimes play my cd's loud,
'drain thee main battery.

Figured it out,
maybe i could use a lil' 15 watt solar panel to re~charge thee main battery for a few hours,
would it re~start? Sure...
etc...

My simple~ton opinion?
ALL electric vehicles should have solar panels on thee engine hood, thee roof, thee trunk, etc...
More than those pix that Quad~Fin posted up above awhile ago...

See this Google Earth satalite pic from 2014, below?
rw truck 2014.jpg
i now have me 4 ~ 100 watt panels on my red Dodge truck shell roof,
was even makin' me some electricity, back then, in that orbital photo of thee beach,
as i looked for sharks, talked story with thee L.A. boyz + girlz, diggin' life, + makin' electricity too,
enough to use, even enough to re~start my truck, if my main battery needed a charge...

Noboby else seemed to want it though,
for there is nary another solar panel to be seen,
in that photograph,
hahaha...

Solar power = electricity!
Gettin' it, on your car, your truck, your van, even an rv?
F**kin' cool...
:shaka:

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
That’d be me! Can’t wait!
going to Willow Creek as soon as I get it!:ROFLMAO: