Can we talk about the failed experiment in American education we've been conducting for almost a year?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sure you have kook.

Just listened to an interview with Chris Christie. A good quote from that interview. "Virtual learning is better than nothing........but its barely better than nothing."
I would say that, like just about anything, you get out of it what you put into it. Motivated kids are learning. Most kids, however, are not motivated. They need direction. That, in normal school circumstances, comes from teachers, but in the online environment it has to come from parents. Many parents, for various reasons, are not up to the task.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I would say that, like just about anything, you get out of it what you put into it. Motivated kids are learning. Most kids, however, are not motivated. They need direction. That, in normal school circumstances, comes from teachers, but in the online environment it has to come from parents. Many parents, for various reasons, are not up to the task.

The same rule applies to parents when schools are operating normally. The home environment usually sets the tone and expectations.

If that doesn't exist, learning, at least for the students with no motivation from home, is less than optimal.

Reactions: One-Off

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
1. the map on the right has no key.
2. there‘s an awful lot of non-overlap
3. what’s the correlation you’re trying to draw?
4. you’re ignoring factors like population density, community transmission rates, income, and proximity to large metropolitan centers.
5. 72-75% of NJ has in-person instruction.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Are you suggesting there is no correlation whatsoever between districts opening and the politics of the area? :monkey:
Are you suggesting there is? If so, as the person making the claim, it’s your responsibility to support and articulate your claim with evidence.

in addition, if you’re correlating political party with % of schools that are all virtual, you’re effectively saying that it’s the local community, and not the teachers union, that is determining whether a school opens for in-person instruction or not.

maybe establish a premise before you begin crafting a narrative.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Just stating the obvious as you try to deny it. Keep gaslighting for the left hal.
you made the claim. Now provide your supporting arguments. This is your big moment. Can you craft a cogent argument?

Can you evaluate information and synthesize an idea? This is Bloom’s Taxonomy 101.

You are currently failing.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm surprised this thread has gone this long.

We all agree that the problem is the failed experiment of at-home "learning." Hal started the thread with that title and thesis

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I'm surprised this thread has gone this long.

We all agree that the problem is the failed experiment of at-home "learning." Hal started the thread with that title and thesis
There's always days of blame to lay...

USC announced the other day that next fall they're going back fully in person, dorms and all. That's a good sign.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There's always days of blame to lay...

USC announced the other day that next fall they're going back fully in person, dorms and all. That's a good sign.
We're going back. Ready or not.

The Chancellor needs his hoes out on the street earning.

I'm ready.

GET ME OUT OF THIS ROOM!

Reactions: hal9000