Can we talk about the failed experiment in American education we've been conducting for almost a year?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Parents, what are your experiences and thoughts?

Educators, what are your thoughts?

If we're to continue with either virtual learning or a hybrid of in-person and virtual learning, how can we improve upon what we're doing now, because the kids sure as fvck aren't learning as much as they could or should be?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Its totally fukked.

My high schooler has totally checked out. I can't even get mad at him for not doing his work or sleeping during zoom. He's a smart kid and always had good grades until now. His schedule is a half day every other day. Zoom on the off days. I've written this year off as far as school goes. Don't think its reasonable to expect kids to learn on this schedule. Kids who can excel in this setting have got to be few and far between.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I teach middle school. I would say, by navigating online learning, a lot of them are learning valuable skills apart from the usual content material. The more motivated students (20%?) are still learning. But then 50% of them, probably unsupervised, are being lost to their phones and other distractions. They tell me so themselves, "I could have done better last semester but I'm always on my phone." When I end my zoom class there are always 4-5 studetns who remain. "Do you have questions?....Anybody there?......"

How many of you, when you were 13, if you were home alone, would be fully concentrated on your teacher's lesson? Most of us would only be fully focused with the video pinned when we had a hot teacher, hoping to get a glimpse of cleavage....reality.

Bring back the captive audience...

Last edited:
Reactions: hal9000

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
maybe it was a doomed system anyway - example: NJ has what 450 school boards -
(which can squander public resources at an astounding rate) and the bug has hastened
its demise.
:unsure:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
As parent my wife is the ultimate helicopter, tiger mom so my daughter (Senior HS) is doing fine. That said, if students are not back in the classroom in the fall, like hell I'm paying expensive college tuition.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I teach middle school. I would say, by navigating online learning, a lot of them are learning valuable skills apart from the usual content material. The more motivated students (20%?) are still learning. But then 50% of them, probably unsupervised, are being lost to their phones and other distractions. They tell me so themselves, "I could have done better last semester but I'm always on my phone." When I end my zoom class there are always 4-5 studetns who remain. "Do you have questions?....Anybody there?......"

How many of you, when you were 13, if you were home alone, would be fully concentrated on your teacher's lesson? Most of us would only be fully focused with the video pinned when we had a hot teacher, hoping to get a glimpse of cleavage....reality.

Bring back the captive audience...
Bingo. I doubt its even 20% that aren't tuning out of zoom. I popped home one day for lunch and my 15 year old has his laptop on zoom and him and his friend are playing Playstation on the big screen. If there's waves he sets up the zoom and goes surfing. I'd do the same thing if I was in his shoes. We both work so nobody is there to force him. Not going to start world war 3 with the kid over schoolwork in this fukked up situation.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
There’s been no guidance from within school systems on how to do better and there’s been no discussion of such thing either.

It’s as if districts are just throwing up their hands and giving up.

Discussions about how to keep students more engaged have been few and far between.

Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my kids are getting better grades, home life is mostly chill, and I am not
schlepping these fkn assholes to practice 6 ways from sunday

literal fkn golden age

one of my kids belched loudly while I was talking on a zoom and I lit him
up and I may have been reported to HR for attempted infanticide.... \(oO)/

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
There’s been no guidance from within school systems on how to do better and there’s been no discussion of such thing either.

It’s as if districts are just throwing up their hands and giving up.

Discussions about how to keep students more engaged have been few and far between.
I wonder how many school teachers spend half of their work day posting on the erBB and Twitter instead of teaching their class?

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I wonder how many school teachers spend half of their work day posting on the erBB and Twitter instead of teaching their class?
What about printer ink salesman spending all their time on the Errb instead of selling ink and then blaming it on democrats when they have a shitty year?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
my kids are getting better grades, home life is mostly chill, and I am not
schlepping these fkn assholes to practice 6 ways from sunday

literal fkn golden age

one of my kids belched loudly while I was talking on a zoom and I lit him
up and I may have been reported to HR for attempted infanticide.... \(oO)/
I do know a few families who do on-again, off-again homeschooling and they’re loving virtual learning

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
as a former teacher who quit the profession in june 2019, i could not have timed my exit better...i can't imagine trying to teach in this situation/climate. talking to my friends & family still in the field, it sounds like a nightmare.
as a parent, i'm thankful that my wife & i were able to afford to send our 4yo to in-person pre-k b/c to hell w/ trying to get a 4yo to sit in front of a computer like that.