Can we talk about that jobs report?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
How much do the savings of others really matter as long as my household has their sh!t in order? If there is another recession, those who have it together have even more opportunities because they can swoop in and pick up assets on the cheap.

Also, I've heard many times in the last few years that there is more in savings accounts than there's ever been :shrug:
It's not the overall savings, its the rate of saving vs spending how I understand it

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
:roflmao:

“I ride a bike; therefore oil prices do not affect me.”
I get that there are broader effects. However when I look at those who were financially stable during the housing crisis (I wasn't, lol) a lot of them lived just fine and some made out like bandits because they were able to buy houses, stonks etc during opportune times. Lots of millionaires are made during recessions as well.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
So there’s a real issue with the economy. It’s too strong, but that’s giving us inflation thats way too high. Wages keep growing, jobs keep creating.
But inflation is worse than a slowdown, so that’s what the fed is go to give us. Housing is already dropping, retail will follow.

There is zero chance that Biden’s economy poll numbers improve anytime soon.

• Haha

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I recall some people here saying we are in a recession.
Q1 and Q2 2022 GDP were negative. That was a recession. Stock market went down. It was only 6 months, there weren't heinous unemployment numbers, inflation persisted, but we did have a recession and just because it was a shallow/mellow one for the average earned income citizen doesn't change that.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

While there is a chance for revision, this bit of news is surely going to make it to the State of the Union address.

When was the last time unemployment this low?

And yes, I acknowledge the numbers and the way they are derived are open to interpretation, but at least the way they are arrived at is consistent (as far as I know).

Reactions: hal9000

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it's crazy that these job numbers are up given the large RIFs that have been taking place at major tech employers

Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
it's crazy that these job numbers are up given the large RIFs that have been taking place at major tech employers
I think that's a pre-emptive pruning of sh!t that doesn't look like it'll pay out funded in a much lower interest environment. I mean Musk's tenure at Twitter has looked incompetent and I'm not impressed with this meta thing either.

If they called 09-onwards a "jobless recovery" that kind of implies there was just no excess bandwidth/capacity and so any desire to meet more demand has required staffing.

While there is a chance for revision, this bit of news is surely going to make it to the State of the Union address.

When was the last time unemployment this low?

And yes, I acknowledge the numbers and the way they are derived are open to interpretation, but at least the way they are arrived at is consistent (as far as I know).
I believe there was a revision to the criteria/metrics of the U5, the headline rate, back in the mid 1990s.

The definition of unemployment varying from country to country always triggers the sh!t out of me when @grapedrink is off Frenchie-bashing comparing our U5 to France's, when France's unemployment is defined kind of like our U6, which is more of a labor force participation vs people between 18 and 65 not in college, deployed, etc. and eligible to file for unemployment benefits.

But to your point I am pretty sure the U6 has been higher than conventionally considered desirable for well over a decade, but the U5 rate has been quite low of late.

• Haha