Can we talk about that jobs report?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I just love how capitalism needs this fragile balance to exIst and maintain a healthy economy and the people who don’t believe in government expect the sitting president to maintain this balance. Too much employment and consumer spending leads to inflation. Not enough and we get recession. When did late stage capitalism become such a delicate snowflake?? Or is it? Maybe we just need something to sh!t our pants about with every news cycle? Maybe if businesses can’t meet consumer demands it’s not a governing problem so much as a problem with business models? Maybe on demand production and shipping isn’t the answer and we need to go back to the days when businesses actually kept product on hand in warehouses and ready to sell so they’re not at the mercy of global conflict, natural disaster, etc. ?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Stop complaining then. What society does doesn’t affect you.
Discussing something is not complaining.
Recognizing or acknowledging a problem is not complaining.

You are the only one who is bitching non-stop, without any meaningful contribution other than photos of tacos.

So maybe listen to your own device.

Stop complaining and make me. :poke:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Job numbers are a joke

They're not counting those who have permanently left the workforce

But sure, keep thinking we're fine, Jack

Are you talking about retiring Boomers? Why would they come back (if they have everything lined up to avoid such a fate) ?

Boy, I wish I was retiring Boomer not having to deal with the workforce......now, where is that jar of pennies so I can go buy another lottery ticket and retire on Monday?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I just love how capitalism needs this fragile balance to exIst and maintain a healthy economy and the people who don’t believe in government expect the sitting president to maintain this balance. Too much employment and consumer spending leads to inflation. Not enough and we get recession. When did late stage capitalism become such a delicate snowflake?? Or is it? Maybe we just need something to sh!t our pants about with every news cycle? Maybe if businesses can’t meet consumer demands it’s not a governing problem so much as a problem with business models? Maybe on demand production and shipping isn’t the answer and we need to go back to the days when businesses actually kept product on hand in warehouses and ready to sell so they’re not at the mercy of global conflict, natural disaster, etc. ?

THIS

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Are you talking about retiring Boomers? Why would they come back (if they have everything lined up to avoid such a fate) ?

Boy, I wish I was retiring Boomer not having to deal with the workforce......now, where is that jar of pennies so I can go buy another lottery ticket and retire on Monday?
My pension has a 4% annual cost of living increase (based on my first year total). For 20 years as I was planning my retirement inflation was always under that so, no worries, right? Literally the year I retire inflation explodes.

Let's go Brandon, Putin, Covid...whatever. :cursing:

• Love
Reactions: hal9000

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The business cycle is centuries old.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It feels like we've borrowed and leveraged and squeezed too far. Since Reagan, with the exception of a couple years in the late 90s, we've had deficit spending. With the exception of a couple years under Clinton, Obama, and Biden, we've had widening budget deficits.

The Fed has a ton of sh!t on its balance sheet now.

IMHO it kind of speaks to how squeezed the bottom....80% ? of the country is that we are six months into a recession and hiring isn't a shitshow and unemployment isn't rising.

I still think the mixed-market economy model the West is on is Best. But the fundamentals have been bludgeoned, badly, in the last 50 years.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
On demand shipping isn’t. Manufacturers used keep inventory on hand in warehouses anticipating how much product they’d sell. Now with overseas manufacturing, global shipping, and people with spreadsheets constantly lowering the bottom line to show growth for investors they’re not at all insulated for any supply chain disruptions.

Reactions: mundus and hal9000

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The devil is in the details.

Nearly all those added jobs were part time jobs.
That’s related to what I think we need to know
are these jobs enough to live on in the location where the job is?
are people taking enormous pay cuts from where they were before getting laid off?
are people leaving the workforce before they’re financially ready because they can’t get hired in the field they know, and don’t want to be a Walmart greeter
do these jobs provide access to health insurance

job numbers are a start, but just a start

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Job numbers are a joke

They're not counting those who have permanently left the workforce

But sure, keep thinking we're fine, Jack
You got the jobs report mixed up with unemployment rate. Over 500,000 new jobs added:
The uptick in job growth surprised analysts who had expected a slowdown. The U.S. economy has now replaced all of the jobs that were lost in the early months of the pandemic.
That is the good part.

:roflmao::roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That’s related to what I think we need to know
are these jobs enough to live on in the location where the job is?
are people taking enormous pay cuts from where they were before getting laid off?
are people leaving the workforce before they’re financially ready because they can’t get hired in the field they know, and don’t want to be a Walmart greeter
do these jobs provide access to health insurance

job numbers are a start, but just a start
The jobs news is not good news.

Here is clarification

@sussle

Reactions: Ifallalot

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
The jobs news is not good news.

Here is clarification

@sussle
Is that bad news? Of course not - the part-time numbers are a standard part of the metric and are actually now below prepandemic levels. That's good news.
The metric, which is volatile, is still below the 4.4 million involuntary part-time workers recorded in February 2020, before the Covid-19 pandemic upended the labor market.
Try to enjoy the moment :cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
some companies hiring like crazy/ some culling. makes no sense but thes that are letting people go are citing the looming recession as the reason.
It's actually pretty simple. If demand outstrips your capacity you are going to hire like crazy to make that money. Then when business slows, you are stuck with a bunch of people you don't need so you let them go.

these job niumer things are stupid. do they take into account freelancers, consultants and the like?
No. However if you are using the same methods it does show trends over time that correspond with GromsDads toner sales.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You're right, we should go with central planning and rationing instead. Let the government decide what you want I mean need. Has that ever been tried before :unsure: :roflmao: